Aruba Beach

Thread: Just returned from Tam -

Smile Just returned from Tam -

Just returned on Sunday (boo hoo!) as usual, our stay was awesome! the water was much rougher since the last time we were there - the waves were huge!

The weather was perfect! about 82 -85 degrees every day- no rain at all!

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Next Aruba trip 01/20/2010 - cant wait! 3rd time since Feb 09!

Trvljan, sorry you had to come home. How was the beach from the pool area to Divi? Sand, Rocks, Combination? Big question is can you walk on the beach from the Bunker Bar all the way? Pictures would be great!

Thanks.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely View Post
    Trvljan, sorry you had to come home. How was the beach from the pool area to Divi? Sand, Rocks, Combination? Big question is can you walk on the beach from the Bunker Bar all the way? Pictures would be great!

Thanks.
    I am thinking probably not. This is what the beach looked like in front of 1600 at the end of December.

Druif Beach, Casibari, Guadirikiri Cave, and Boca Catalina
    When you say "the waves were huge" -- too big for kids that are just OK swimmers? Are there life jackets available at the resort?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Mom_13 View Post
    When you say "the waves were huge" -- too big for kids that are just OK swimmers? Are there life jackets available at the resort?
    No life jackets available, but the waves are not usually THAT big. There have been some cold fronts pushing through into the Caribbean spreading swells.

Wink first time in Aruba

Quote Originally Posted by trvljan View Post
    Just returned on Sunday (boo hoo!) as usual, our stay was awesome! the water was much rougher since the last time we were there - the waves were huge!

The weather was perfect! about 82 -85 degrees every day- no rain at all!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Good morning,
    I have finally booked my first vacation to Aruba. DH and I have always gone to Bermuda and actually had a cruise scheduled for Bermuda out of Boston, but cancelled it to go to Aruba (on land). We are going in June.

I am somewhat frightened of what many are saying about the Tam, such as no locks on the doors, outdated rooms with really bad bathrooms. We chose the Tam on word of mouth. We are not frilly people and it does not take a lot to satisfy us. I am looking for any opinion of what section to stay in and whether a balcony versuses patio is best. After looking at some pics, it appears that the patios are not so private, but one can head right to the beach.. We are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary with no kids.

I was told that the king beds are in block 25, is this true? Looking for some wonderful advice. Have been reading many posts here with great info..

thanks in advance.
    Lisa

From everything you have written, you may wish to stay at the Divi instead. It is a bit more upscale, bathroom are more up to date and the rooms themselves are larger. The downside is that their oceanfront rooms are much more money. Both are sold 3 star resorts, nothing more.

The draw, advantage of staying at the Tamarijn is solely value for an all inclusive with a HUGE bonus of ALL oceanfront rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by lrealnurse View Post
    I am somewhat frightened of what many are saying about the Tam, such as no locks on the doors,
    This is NOT true.
    Front doors to rooms have traditional double locks.
    You must make sure you pull the door closed tightly, when leaving your room. You are pulling directly against the wind and if you do make sure the door is closed you could very well leave and have it blow open while you are gone.

Sliding glass door out onto the beach have double security bars. A wood post to place upon the door's tracks once it is closed as well as another metal bar half way up.

When you go out onto the beach, make sure that you have your room key with you. On more than one occassion we have been locked out of our room by the maid. She generally locks everything up tight unless she saw us right outside the door.

Having said all of this, the island is safe. The resort does have security. Security patrols the boardwalk in front of all of the rooms at night even going as far as to check security bars on sliders and reminding folks who are not using them. Take the same precautions as you would at home while in Aruba, HOWEVER, there is no more danger staying at the Tamarijn than any other resort on the island.

outdated rooms with really bad bathrooms. We are not frilly people and it does not take a lot to satisfy us.
    Rooms received all new soft goods last year.

Bathrooms are clean. But yes they are outdated and may not be your liking. You can view a couple of Tamarijn bathroom photos here.

Again, for updated bathrooms, you may wish to stay at the Divi. Divi Vista Building room bath photos are here.

I am looking for any opinion of what section to stay in and whether a balcony versuses patio is best.
    The advantage of a patio is being able to walk directly out on to the beach.

Beach view from room 1305

Step out of the room onto the patio and out onto the beach- view from room 1313

If you are worried about security while in the room, imo, you should go with a balcony.

As you probably already know, buildings are only two stories and yes, all oceanfront. Here is a view from a room in 1300 building. First floor vs. second floor is personal preference. Some like the advantage of being on the ground floor and the ability to walk right out of your room directly on to the beach. Others think the view from the second floor balconies is better as well as enjoy a sense of security. Ground floor rooms all have security bars for the sliders.

Keep in mind the beach at the Tamarijn is always changing. There is always a nice stretch of beach in front of building 1100. Photos of the beach here.
    There are some rocks protecting a large palapa in front of building 1200, which are always there.

2100 - 2500 is on a beautiful quiet stretch of beach, but overlooks the harbor and shipping containers and cargo ships.

Some people do not like the "far" walk to the Bunker Bar never mind the restaurants and lobby. Other people feel it is well worthwhile for the peace and quiet at the southern end of the resort. Here are photos of the beach at the Tamarijn Aruba from buildinga 1900 - 2500.

1500 to 1800 you needed to cross over some rocks on the beach.

1100 offers best of both words, a little bit away from the lobby, pool, buffet and bars, but easy walking distance.

Here is resort map with building numbers.

To contact the Tamarijn Aruba with your request...from their contact page
    www.tamarijnaruba.com/contact/index.php or
    Email reservation@megaresorts.com

Additional info
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/tamarijn%20best%20building.html

After looking at some pics, it appears that the patios are not so private, but one can head right to the beach..
    Neither patios or balconies are totally private, as you can see through to the next door neighbor on the second floor and there is only a half wall separating the patios.

We are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary with no kids.
    Depending upon the time of year, you may wish to consider the Divi instead. Children stay free at the Tamarijn and the kids club for both the Divi and Tamairjn is located at the Tamarijn. If the kids are still in school it should not be too bad. Summertime there will be a lot of kids. The swimming pool is a "kid magnet".

I was told that the king beds are in block 25, is this true?
    I am 99% sure this is NOT true. Please use the email address above to question them.

thanks so much for all of your answers... you are too nice... I will let you know as soon as I decide. I do however, have one other question. I did book at the Tam, can I change my mind if I want to stay at the divi and not have a surcharge.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

Lisa

The Divi is owned by the same company. It may depend on who you booked through, but I would think it wouldn't matter if you switched from the Tam to the Divi. The money is still going to the same place right.

Not sure what you mean by a "surcharge". The Divi, for even the gardenview rooms, IS more expensive than the Tam, but imo it is more upscale.

tam

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    The Divi is owned by the same company. It may depend on who you booked through, but I would think it wouldn't matter if you switched from the Tam to the Divi. The money is still going to the same place right.

Not sure what you mean by a "surcharge". The Divi, for even the gardenview rooms, IS more expensive than the Tam, but imo it is more upscale.

Just meant "would they charge me to switch" I will call to find out. You have been way too kind...
    thanks
    Lisa