Aruba Beach

Thread: Low Rise Questions

Low Rise Questions

Hey Everyone
    As some of you may have read in another post our family of five is currently debating switching our spring break locale from the Hyatt to one of the low rises. We are definitely looking to save money and enjoy a more peaceful and less crowded atmosphere. We are very interested in the Divi and Tam option - i know that there are various pools available - my dd is wondering if any have a water slide and where is it located in relation to the Tam/Divi AI - is it a long trip between pools? Also as much as i like the idea of being right on the beach i am bothered by reviews that i read suggesting that ppl from other rooms can take over the Palapa directly in front of your room - does this really happen? I would not like to leave my patio and find strangers hanging out right in front of my room. Also concerned about reviews about smoky rooms at the Tam - do they have non smoking rooms ? or do you run a big risk of having a smelly room? Also are the Tam/Divi within walking distance of the Palm Beach Area ? and if so how long of a walk - we have 3 small children.

Thank you arubalisa for suggesting Costa Linda, it does look nice, but i do not recall reading much about this resort. Anyone have any insight about Costa Linda?

I also think that Amsterdam Manor looks very quiet and quaint - have read positive reviews about the resort, but nothing specific from ppl with children. Is this a good place to take children? They have fun meeting other kids and having others to play with.

Any advice would be appreciated!!! I am feeling overwhelmed by all of the options
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I haven't stayed at the Tam/Divi or Costa Linda. But I have seen the rooms at Costa Linda and they are very nice. The pool is also very nice and the beach is right there. I think your kids would find more kids there to play with.

Amsterdam Manor is pretty quiet if that is what your looking for. Very few kids, mostly people vacationing from Holland. The pool is not very big. Across the street from the beach (no big problem with that).

The water slides are at La Cabana (small slide) and The Aruban Resort (big slide). These timeshares are next to Amsterdam Manor. Lot's of kids at both resorts. La Cabana is across from the beach. Aruban Resort is behind La Cabana as it quieter than La Cabana. Longer walk to the beach but there is a golf cart shuttle. Both resorts have kids activities.

I do not blame you for being overwhelmed by all of the options.

We are very interested in the Divi and Tam option - i know that there are various pools available - my dd is wondering if any have a water slide and where is it located in relation to the Tam/Divi AI - is it a long trip between pools?
    There is a beautiful pool with a slide at the Divi Links Golf Villas located between the Divi Resort and Tamarijn, but across the street. Depending upon who you talk to, you can or cannot use the pool there. The bar is not included in the all inclusive. The Villas were not yet constructed when this photo was taken http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.538...16&l=0&m=a&v=2, but you get the idea of the proximity between the resorts.

The swimming pool at the Tamarijn is the magnet for kids. It is plain, but the kids get wet.

The towel hut offers floats and noodles, including in the all inclusive package.
    Also as much as i like the idea of being right on the beach i am bothered by reviews that i read suggesting that ppl from other rooms can take over the Palapa directly in front of your room - does this really happen? I would not like to leave my patio and find strangers hanging out right in front of my room.
    Yes, it can happen. It has happened to us, twice in two visits totalling 24 nights. All palapas are first come, first served. You cannot pay to reserve them in advance like at the Hyatt or Westin.

Our past visit last month there was one palapa in front of our section of rooms. We have found that just like when we stay at the Radisson, you have to get up early to get a (the) palapa. From what I understand the Costa Linda does have one palapa for each unit.

As much as we love the Radisson, we have come to the conclusion that by staying at the Tamarijn there are tradeoffs.

Radisson- walk to the beach, with a likely chance that you had to ride an elevator just to get to the lobby
    Tamarijn- walk out of our room onto the beach. Not an issue for us, but if you have the palapa in front of your room, easily sit out on the beach while your child naps and the "potty" is RIGHT there.

Radisson- our dd loves to eat, and we are talking shrimp and lobster, not hot dogs
    Tamarijn- kids stay and eat FREE. They don't serve lobster, but we do have some dinners off property with the money we save. She eats Shrimp everynight that we eat at the Divi's Red Parrot

Radisson- the beach is beautiful and the water is calm
    Tamarijn- the beach is much quieter, less people, sometimes the water is flat, sometimes not

Also concerned about reviews about smoky rooms at the Tam - do they have non smoking rooms ? or do you run a big risk of having a smelly room?
    There are no "non-smoking" rooms, between all of the rooms that our family booked last Christmas and the two rooms we were in during our past visit, 6 total, we did not experience any problems with a "smelly room". Be forewarned though that the rooms are NOT fancy. The bathrooms are outdated, but everything is clean.

Also are the Tam/Divi within walking distance of the Palm Beach Area ? and if so how long of a walk - we have 3 small children.
    No, not within walking distance with small children. A little under 3 miles each way. The Costa Linda is about 2 1/4 miles from Palm Beach. The Amsterdam Manor is about 3/4 of a mile from Palm Beach.

My friends have three young children and a timeshare at the Divi Links. They love the slide and the pool there. So, if you can get to use it, it's great. I visited them up there last week and it seemed the kids were all on that side of the pool, while the adults where on the western edge where there is a swim up bar and an infinity wall looking over the golf course.

Good luck and no matter what, you'll enjoy it.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/