Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Marriott Stellaris Ocean Sand - Muck..Yuck

Druif Beach, Divi Divi AI, Red Sail Sports, Black Pearl

Marriott Stellaris Ocean Sand - Muck..Yuck

Hi

I have been staying at Marriott Stellaris annually for awhile, and this year (July) the sand under water changed dramatically. It had measurable amount of seaweed growing (not just floating) and large (..I mean laaaarge) areas of what I would describe as "quicksand muck" that made you not want to put your feet down, and dread having your foot sinking into it. This never was the case in past years, and I'm wondering if anyone thought to ask hotel about change in water botton conditions? We didn't know an ocean floor could turn over that quickly to become "less desirable", unless you dont mind putting your foot down and having a different sensory experience with each step. I don't like it. We floated over to the Ritz (knee high water), since that was empty most days...but would rather know what's going on (or if perhaps there are plans to dredge out the sand and seaweed growth...I saw that happening down by the Holiday Inn...boat with water vacuume siphoning out sand and pumping it out to sea). If this is the future of the Marriott's sand in the swimming area, it's enough to make me think twice about moving elsewhere, although I LOVE the property and the staff. I wanted to know if anyone else shared similar experience/observation and if anyone heard anything from hotel. I never asked...and only thought to when I got home..but it impacted our floating experience...(If that's the biggest problem in life, I'm blessed!!!) We held on to the float and kept our feet up most of time to avoid all that was wrong underneath. Yuck.

I don't remember it being that way last year. But being the guy I am, I will take one for the team and ask around and personally check out the bottom conditions from the Marriott campus to the Pelican Nest and report back in a couple of weeks. Maybe it only happens at certain times?

Aruba since 1979
    anthony from TRANQUILO addressed this on another venue ( he is incredibly intelligent about the ocean and i believe what he says most of the time to be true)

anthony says:
    here's my 2 cents. Muck, grass and seaweed has been present before Marriott, Ritz, Hyatt, piers, speed boats etc...were present.
    The reason why you don't see it as much at CLBR is because the sand bar offshore is deeper and further away from shore. From the HI to the RC, offshore lies the Seco di Rogans (Pelicans Shoal) and decaying seaweed can be found as far south as the Occidental due to this shoal. Aruba's west coast is very shallow, about 12ft on average for almost a mile offshore and had huge amounts of "turtle grass" on the bottom. That's the dark colors you see in the water from your balcony. The lighter colors are white sandy patches on the bottom. Any disturbance like winter storms in the north Atlantic, pressure systems or tropical storms in the vicinity will cause some ripples on the water. Once these ripples reach this shoal, waves build up and will cause some grass to dislodge and end up in your swimming area, or on your beach. Nature's way of cleaning up. This phenomena is also responsible for the clarity of the water. No swells, no silt. When swells die down, it make take days for the water to clear up again.The sad part about it is, this creates nutrients for the beginning of the food chain in the sea, like plankton etc.

hmmm, interesting answer...I do know that when there is something else going on in the caribbean you can tell by the way the water looks/acts. We always stay at divi so we are at druif beach and most times the water is crystal clear and waves are not big...sometimes after a storm in caribbean, water is not as clear, not murky just not as clear but waves are bigger and sometimes stones are bigger and getting in water is harder...
    That being said....I will take Aruba muck anyday !!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Interesting response..but it is pulling my question away to something different. I'll try to clarify... water = crystal clear, beautiful, warm, what I have always found in my annual trips to Aruba. To be clear, the concern is the surface under the water...not sound, not typical ocean floor. Sea weed growth in extensive spans that never was there before. Footing that feels like warm goo and your foot sinks in up to and past the ankle...in LARGE spans of the swimming area. I have never experienced this in annual visits to Marriott Stellaris. Seaweed decayed and floating (for which there was PLENTY)...is NOT the experience in question. It's what you CAN'T see...and FEEL with each step... that makes you wonder WHAT HAPPENED to that swimming area under the water at the Marriott. If nobody knows, that's fine, but I'm not picky about things...it was just not a pleasant experience stepping into quicksand, pulling foot up..and then stepping into a bouquet of seaweed alive and well and growing hardily. You didn't know where to step...to feel normal sand...had to move around to find some. That is very different, very very different than past year at this property. Sounds like nobody else knows why either. Oh well...I think I'll touch based periodically as more people spend their vacation there, to see if it's gone, or becomes an issue others notice as well. I was just curious. Thanks.

I remember reading many years ago about the ocean floor near the Marriott being soft, maybe it was just a "cycle" because I have not read about that in quite some time. When I was at the Ritz a few weeks back the sand was fine and there was no seaweed, I was there from July 14-26.

Great insight from Marriott Stellaris totally believe it..and will always call this property our home in Aruba..amazing times..here is the Marriott detail: "For the last two years we have not gotten any hit of seaweed, and when we do get seaweed, the sand will stay muddy for a couple days. After that, then little by little the sea current "backwashes" itself leaving a nice and soft sand behind. Back wash or over a long time water circulates from the deep ocean to shallow ocean and back again to the deep. I trust this clarifies your question."

Yes it does..completly.

Aruba since 1979
    seriously? did it really clarify your question or are you being facetious?

Quote Originally Posted by jabooty View Post
    Great insight from Marriott Stellaris totally believe it..and will always call this property our home in Aruba..amazing times..here is the Marriott detail: "For the last two years we have not gotten any hit of seaweed, and when we do get seaweed, the sand will stay muddy for a couple days. After that, then little by little the sea current "backwashes" itself leaving a nice and soft sand behind. Back wash or over a long time water circulates from the deep ocean to shallow ocean and back again to the deep. I trust this clarifies your question."

Yes it does..completly.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Water shoe time, not to touch the seaweed?
    will be there in September and will check it out

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Caribbean: Massive quantities of Pelagic Sargassum (brown seaweed)

By Trinidad & Tobago Guardian — last modified Jun 08, 2015 11:24 AM

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/St...-brown-seaweed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast