Aruba Beach

Thread: Newbie here, info on Occidental Grande Aruba?

Newbie here, info on Occidental Grande Aruba?

Hi!
    My husband and I are planning a trip in May to Aruba - our first time!

I have some questions from you Aruba Insiders

1. My husband has a bad back and can't walk for long periods of time, any suggestions for things very nearby that we can explore?

2. should we rent a car? My husband heard that the bus is very good but I'm afraid that it would entail a lot of walking getting to and from the pick up points???

3 are there mosquitos?

4. Is the beach there good for snorkeling? I just learned how and it's a lot of fun but don't like rough water!!

5. Are there places to shop and eat nearby?

Thanks so much for your help We really appreciate it.

Meenie and Ytwater

Banned
    Manchebo Eagle Beach, Oceania Residences, Occidental
    1. My husband has a bad back and can't walk for long periods of time, any suggestions for things very nearby that we can explore? There really isn't too much to explore around the hotel areas. There is a nice boardwalk behind the hotels for a leisurely stroll. The best exploring is on the backside or south coast for some beautiful and unexpected scenery. Renting a jeep for a day is a good idea.

2. should we rent a car? My husband heard that the bus is very good but I'm afraid that it would entail a lot of walking getting to and from the pick up points??? Lots of pick up spots around the hotels. There is one right behind the Occidental on the main road.

3 are there mosquitos? yes when it is rainy. This has been a very dry rainy season so they have not been too bad. I would still bring bug spray just in case.

4. Is the beach there good for snorkeling? I just learned how and it's a lot of fun but don't like rough water!! Palm Beach is not good for Snorkeling but the water is very calm.

5. Are there places to shop and eat nearby? Lots of places to shop and eat on the main road running right behind the hotel. Too many to list!

1 Day car rental, you can see the Island, make a stop at Baby Beach to snorkel, great for the beginner, it has a break water no waves, stay inside strong current outside, plenty of fish to see. The local bus works $2.30pp roundtrip to town. Sites to see in 1/2 day Cali. Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Gold mines ruins, Natural Bridge, Baby Beach, Charlies Bar in San Nicholas est. 1941. After this you can make your own choice if you want to keep the car or not. P.S. when on the North side of Aruba stay out of the sand, you will get stuck!

Aruba since 1979
    Hi!
    My husband and I are planning a trip in May to Aruba - our first time!

I have some questions from you Aruba Insiders

1. My husband has a bad back and can't walk for long periods of time, any suggestions for things very nearby that we can explore? shopping? i think you should rent a car for at least a day so you can exp;ore at your own comfort/leisure

2. should we rent a car? My husband heard that the bus is very good but I'm afraid that it would entail a lot of walking getting to and from the pick up points??? the bus service is outstanding some of the restaurants, like wacky wahoo is off the bus route by about 1/3 mile. you may want to take a cab.

3 are there mosquitos?sometimes. all depends if there has been rain and there is any standing water around

4. Is the beach there good for snorkeling? I just learned how and it's a lot of fun but don't like rough water!! nope the snorkleing ion eagle beach is pretty much nothing to look at. you may want to rent a car for a day and head up to baby beach or up to arashi for some much better snorkeling. would a snorkel sail/boat ride be of interest? tranquillo, jolly pirate are 2 very popular snorkel tours

5. Are there places to shop and eat nearby?yes MANY

Quote Originally Posted by Meenie View Post
    4. Is the beach there good for snorkeling? I just learned how and it's a lot of fun but don't like rough water!! Meenie and Ytwater
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/snorkeling%20boca%20catalina.html

thanks guys, great helpful answers! I appreciate it