Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Occidental Problems

This is no real surprise, it seems like they make the rules on the fly. I would be interested in any info that you get.

Rob

This is true!!

When I called to change my unit to two hotel units, I was told that I can only have the units if I took the all inclusive for each unit. Otherwise, I couldn't do it.This is clearly a violation of the Rules and Regulations that are part of the contract. These "rules and regs" supposedly can only be changed with a written notice signed by the General Director of the Allegro Vacation Club. This new "policy" appears to only affect the optional all inclusive contracts.
    The Rules and Regulations are mentioned in the contract paperwork and are all listed and attached to the contract paperwork.
    The Regs that have been affected are numbers:
    16, 18, 22, 26, 27, 33, 39.

I am interested in doing what ever can to get back what was promised to us in our written documentation.
    Eileen

the vacation club should understand, we owners can kill many sales.
    many owners are on the island on a regular basis, the vacation club, was granted access to sell the 6th floor, that's quite a few potential sales.
    i'm approached each day, asking my opinion on owning, i have closed many deals.
    we have to voice our anger over this situation.

Occidental Problems

Yes, I do believe they are in violation of our contracts but we need a lawyer, not 'storming the sales center'. That takes money.

If we can contact as many owners as possible and ask for contributions to preserve our rights, it won't be a huge outlay of cash for anyone.

I plan on being in Aruba on 1/13/12. My first stop with be the tourist board. If I get no where with them, I will get a recommendation for an attorney. I'm not sure an Aruban attorney is what we need or one from Spain (main headquarters) or the DR (res office).

Anyone interested in proceeding with this should send their email to me and refer any owners to me as well. If anyone is internet savy and can set up a website or a 'blog' or something, that would be helpful.

I am also an owner at Costa Linda. We were able to remove our General Manager 3 years ago. Members associations can be strong.

Mary Alice
    macalh@aol.com

Aruba since 1979
    are you "owners" or "right to use" ?
    owners (deeded in perpetuity)
    right to use for X number of uses or weeks or yrs

if you folks are "right to use", then there is probably not much can be done.
    if you are deeded owners, do you not already have an association?

i would advise you to write to Minister Otmar Oduber, Minister of Tourism.
    with
    cc to Headquarters for Occidental
    cc to the Aruba Occidental Manager of Operations for the timeshare

maryalice, my luck i leave on the 13th, you understand this more than others, costa linda situation.
    i'm quite sure that we could pass this to others, owners should want to contribute, and i believe they would.
    you have my vote to begin the process to battle the situation, the vacation club realizes you have the knowledge, which is good.

There seems to be two different things being said. *On one hand Debbie started this off by saying she was told that you could no longer exchange your 1 bedroom for 2 hotel rooms. Mary Alice was told the same thing. Eileen was told that she could get the 2 hotel rooms but that they both had to be AI mandatory. It seems like it all depends on who you speak to. *One of these scenarios affects ALL vacation club owners. (if nobody can trade for 2 hotel rooms. ) The other one would only affect the the vacation club owners with"optional"AI. *How can we find out what the real story is? *It could make a big difference on the support that we would have from the owners. *

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    If I were you I would take your contract to the tourism authorities. A few years ago we had a problem with Occidental. I've never mentioned it here on this board because I know so many people love it and I didn't want to offend anyone. After we purchased, we realized we were mislead on some important issues when we were reading over the fine print. We took the contract to a very helpful representative at the minister of tourism office. After reading over the contract, he agreed with us and contacted Occidental on our behalf. Occidental corrected the issue. They would not help us at all until we brought in the tourism representative.

Occidental

Thank you for mentioning your experience with the tourism board. I knew that would need to be my first stop because although we love the resort, we are aware that as owners our rights are being violated.

I think what Eileen meant was exactly what I was told. I could get hotel rooms, IF I USED MY BONUS TIME. As you know bonus time is paying a daily rate that includes the all inclusive. They will not allow us to have hotel rooms in any other way.

I call the res office on Friday to ask another question. I asked again about if anything had changed with being permitted to get hotel rooms for our units. My answer was a very curt, 'Mrs. Calhoun, I believe Carlos has already explained that to you. there will be no more hotel rooms'.

Occidental

Well, judging from what is being posted we are not all being given the same message. So, I called this morning. This is what I was told.
    1. I can split my 1 bedroom into 2 hotel units
    2. I can only do it 60 days out (that is a change that affects everyone)
    3. I must take the all inclusive. (that affects the owners of optional all inclusive contracts)
    Numbers 2 & 3 are a change in the contract and "rules and regs"
    Eileen

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast