Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Love Aruba

Thread: occidental questions

occidental questions

in august we are going to the occidental for the first time....have never been there and would love some info from others who have. how is dinner booked...do you just show up and wait in a line? is there a way to make reservations...if so how is it done? is there any nightly entertainment?(mom wants to know) what is in the area...if i remember correctly salt and pepper is across the street...i think..lol. how is the palapa situation on the beach? is it worth it to up-grade to their vip program...what comes with that? any and all info welcome.....thank you

Aruba since 1979
    jane i am going to pm love aruba (pat) and let her give u her .02. pat and her dh are occidental goers and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    in august we are going to the occidental for the first time....have never been there and would love some info from others who have. how is dinner booked...do you just show up and wait in a line? is there a way to make reservations...if so how is it done? is there any nightly entertainment?(mom wants to know) what is in the area...if i remember correctly salt and pepper is across the street...i think..lol. how is the palapa situation on the beach? is it worth it to up-grade to their vip program...what comes with that? any and all info welcome.....thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    Nikko,
    Sorry I haven't been in here for a few days or I would have answered this sooner.
    As far as the vip are you talking about the Royal Club? If it is, there is private check in and out, you would stay on the 7th, 8th or 9th floor. There is a private restaurant on the 9th floor, where you can get breakfast, lunch and dinner and just stop in to get a drink. You can also get room service with the Royal Club. They also help you with any reservations you may want on the island, and of course they have info about the island, well what you don't learn from this forum hahahah. From what I can remember the rooms are the same. We always stay in the Royal Club. The only time we didn't was our first visit. Also, if you are staying in the Royal Club, when you check in just ask them to book your reservations for restaurants then. If you are NOT checking in with the Royal Club, then when you check in ask the person checking you in to show you where to book your reservations. It is right across from the check in desk. You do have to have reservations to the a la carte restaurants. If you book the Asian, you have a choice of hibachi, a regular table, or a private room where you sit on the floor. I do love their food, but we have never tried the room where you sit on the floor, I don't think I could get back up hahahaha. We also love the Italian restaurant!! Love the Royal Club and the Mexican is just ok, but remember this is ONLY OUR OPINION. I don't want to sway you one way or another, I can only tell you what we like.
    We normally stay by the pool and we haven't had any trouble getting a chair , I am not sure about the beach, we only go down to play in the water or take a walk. Sorry I can't help you there, but I would think it is like all the other hotels.
    I hope you have a wonderful time at the Occidental. I can only tell you that this is our 8th or 9th visit with them, and we have NEVER had anything to complain about. We love it, and we LOVE the staff. They make us feel like we are home----well it IS our home away from home.
    Hope this helps some,
    Pat

One other thing, they do have nightly entertainment, some are really good, some are good. They also have a "beach party" once a week...it's food,drink,prizes, and entertainment (fun)

Pat

pat---thank so much for all that. yes i meant the royal club...couldnt think of the name..lol. you guys are great!

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/occidental.html
    click above link for some occidental threads

and remember, the gents cannot wear shorts at particular occidental restaurant(s), slacks required.

thank you!

our family loves the occidental, as for the palapas first come basis. august you will not have any issues getting a palapa.
    the royal club in my opinion is not worth the upgrade. you get private dining on the 9th floor, more selection of beer and liquor, on the beach they have a seperate bar, that bar is always dead all the bar action on the beach is the general bar. your alcohol upgrade is only in a couple areas. if your drinking in the lobby your choice of drinks are no different than others. but it cost more money.
    the dinner on the 9th floor is nice and different than the other restaurants, tv's, couches, and quiet dining, sounds like i'm descrbing eating home.... for the upgrade cost i would rather eat a few dinner's outside the resort.
    if money is not an option, that's a different story.

We love the Occidental this will be my 5th visit there. You can book your dinner reservations as soon as you arrive. This hotel is close to everything & the beach is great.