Aruba Beach

Thread: Occidental Vs. Rui

Occidental Vs. Rui

Hi Everyone,

We are looking for an AI for our vacation in April. I have stayed at the Marriott and the Divi in the past. We prefer an AI again for this upcoming vacation.

My question is this, if the Rui is only a couple of hundred more dollars per couple, should we book at the Occidental or the Rui?

I have seen pictures of both. The rooms at the Occidental seem nice but a little small. The rooms at the Rui don't see too impressive. People write that the food at the al-a-carte restuarants at the Occidental are good, but I haven't heard too much about the Rui restaurants. The Rui looks nicer, but we go out a lot on excursions during the day and I'm just wondering if the Rui is worth the extra money.

Any input?

Aruba since 1979
    both of those resorts are lovely (riu is very extravagant and somewhat out of place, but lovely nonetheless)

if it were i, and i am in no way suggesting that you do as i do.............i would choose the occidental. if i were going to be out of the room all day, then the bottom line to me would be the FOOD, the PRICE, the BEACH and the CLEANLINESS. i think the riu and occidental both get good reviews on the food............so i would chose occidental due to the price and saving a few dollars.

check out these threads

http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=392637
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 11-23-2009 at 11:28 PM.

I'll jump in with my $.02. I have stayed at both the Occidental and the Rui. I prefer the Rui. The food is a whole lot better than the Occidental. The Rui has private roomy balconies. Granted you probably won't be spending alot of time in the room, but for just relaxing after a day on the beach, it's a great place to hang out. The rooms at the Rui are bigger than at the Occidental. The mini bar is more extensive (liquor as well as beer) at the Rui than the Occidental.

If you're a pool person, then the Occidental is the place to be. The Rui pool is in the open with no shade.

I plan on heading back to the Rui. It's worth the extra $$ to me.

Aruba since 1979
    i love it when folks make substantiated comments!
    your comments and experiences are 1st hand.

i wince when folks give restaurant or resort reviews by saying thing such as...".i have a friend that has a friend that stayed there and said the food was lousy, or the rooms were tiny or there were no shade huts on the beach"

thanks for your .02 much appreciated.
    those that i have spoken to that have stayed at the riu LOVED it and their only complaint was the lack of shade at pool.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    I'll jump in with my $.02. I have stayed at both the Occidental and the Rui. I prefer the Rui. The food is a whole lot better than the Occidental. The Rui has private roomy balconies. Granted you probably won't be spending alot of time in the room, but for just relaxing after a day on the beach, it's a great place to hang out. The rooms at the Rui are bigger than at the Occidental. The mini bar is more extensive (liquor as well as beer) at the Rui than the Occidental.

If you're a pool person, then the Occidental is the place to be. The Rui pool is in the open with no shade.

I plan on heading back to the Rui. It's worth the extra $$ to me.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll stick with the Occidental. It turned out to be $400/couple and with that money we can go Snorkeling and 4-wheeling and get into all sorts of other trouble.

Now my only problem is that I have to wait 5 months to go!!!!!

Thanks!

I am actually renting a TimeShare at the Occidental in July. I priced the Riu and just could not see spending that much money extra, especially when traveling with 2 kids.

Renting the timeshare and then just adding the AI, is better IMO. I am getting an Ocean Front 1BR unit.
    Decided to take down my timer!

And FYI travelocity is having a sale on the Occidental right now. It is $400 off per week compared to what it usually is. We booked through a travel agent and they were able to match it (and do a tiny bit better). But right now travelocity is $600 cheaper than expedia.

Occidental vs. Riu

Bon Bini,
    Making some plans to come back to Aruba and looking to up grade our accomodations. Have stayed at the windmill.marriot and the holiday inn (AI). We are torn between The Riu in a Jr. suite oceanview or Occidental DLX suite partial ocean view. Both all inclusive. We are night owls and were bored stiff at out resort in the Dominican last march....food comparisons?? which has a better rooms??? bar availability(open late)??? staff??? the prices are fairly comparable and we just need some votes either way!

Thanks!

Bon dia!

I'm sure you will get many opinions on this topic! LOL I have stayed at both the Occidental and the Riu. I personally prefer the Riu - I liked the rooms, the food was awesome (even the buffet), and the mini bar is a real mini bar (part of AI). In my opinion, the only downside to the Riu is there is no shade around the pool - no biggie for me, as I prefer the beach. The balconies at the Riu are bigger than the Occidental's. I never saw any housekeeping staff. It's like they hide, go into your room when you leave, and are done with their job by the time you get back. I even had towel sculptures left on the bed most days.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for the response! We have booked the RIU with and upgrade on the room too! woo hoo! I am very excited! We are also beach people we go to a pool in the states but i can't go to Aruba's beaches! lol
    Thank you so much!