Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By act1966

Thread: Outrageous local phone charges at the RIU. . . rip off big time. . .

Thumbs down Outrageous local phone charges at the RIU. . . rip off big time. . .

Just a heads up if you are going to stay at the Riu or know someone who is. . . I just picked up my friends for the trip to the airport and they told me about the crazy charge for 2 "LOCAL" calls. Both to me for dinner plans and times. They were charged $11.00 US for each call. That's $22.00 for two local calls from their room. I have never ever heard of such a rip off charge for a local call. When they complained at check out, they were told that is the resorts rule and if they had come down to the desk prior to the calls, they could have used the "complimentary" courtesy phone on the desk. But of course, no one said anything at check in or offered to tell them of the high cost of using the room phone. . . . Talk about customer satisfaction and customer courtesy. . Thanks Riu for leaving a good feeling to your tourist customers. O, by the way, I will let everyone I know about this. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Aruba since 1979
    that is one of the main reasons so many opt for cell phone rental or bringing their own cell phone or using skype on the puter.

years ago when my dad was alive, he was in the hospital for 4 yrs.......(a huge long story)
    suffice it to say we went to the Holiday Inn Aruba that year.
    I called daily to check in with him and speak to his PA.
    At the end of the week there was a whopping charge of $300+

The next time we went to Aruba and needed to check in with dad and the PA, we bought a SETAR card, used a special phone at LaCabana Lobby, for much cheaper.

We also used to used the phones at the Alhambra phone place.

I am sorry to hear that your friends had this experience.

I think that other resorts may too have high local charges when using the "room phones"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Stanley View Post
    Just a heads up if you are going to stay at the Riu or know someone who is. . . I just picked up my friends for the trip to the airport and they told me about the crazy charge for 2 "LOCAL" calls. Both to me for dinner plans and times. They were charged $11.00 US for each call. That's $22.00 for two local calls from their room. I have never ever heard of such a rip off charge for a local call. When they complained at check out, they were told that is the resorts rule and if they had come down to the desk prior to the calls, they could have used the "complimentary" courtesy phone on the desk. But of course, no one said anything at check in or offered to tell them of the high cost of using the room phone. . . . Talk about customer satisfaction and customer courtesy. . Thanks Riu for leaving a good feeling to your tourist customers. O, by the way, I will let everyone I know about this. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will make sure to ask about this at check in. We have made locals calls from Holiday Inn and Marriott Surf but I dont recall the charge, so I doubt it was excessive. Charges like that, we will definitely take advantage of the concierge for reservation.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Thanks for posting Tom. I love when you tell it like it is🌞
    super great meeting you!!!

we have had similar charges on our bill at divi village for making reservations....now concierge does it for us
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We used the pay phone in the lobby at the downtown Renaissance a few years ago. It cost us $24 for 2 calls and one of them was never completed. We have used Skype on our laptop the last 2 years. I loaded it with $10 this year and we made calls daily for 12 days and I still have $4.60 in credit.
    We also used the phone kiosk at the old Alhambra mall. It was 25 cents a minute there.

I work in Telecom in the states....the insanity is widespread here as well.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    We used the pay phone in the lobby at the downtown Renaissance a few years ago. It cost us $24 for 2 calls and one of them was never completed. We have used Skype on our laptop the last 2 years. I loaded it with $10 this year and we made calls daily for 12 days and I still have $4.60 in credit.
    We also used the phone kiosk at the old Alhambra mall. It was 25 cents a minute there.
    so, to be clear....if I load Skype onto my tablet and add $10 I am then able to call to a cell phone or landline in the states (through the internet) and talk through my tablet...??? I use Skype free all the time to video/talk to my friend in germany, but have never used it to talk just by "phone"....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    so, to be clear....if I load Skype onto my tablet and add $10 I am then able to call to a cell phone or landline in the states (through the internet) and talk through my tablet...??? I use Skype free all the time to video/talk to my friend in germany, but have never used it to talk just by "phone"....

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Here are the instructions from the Skype website (this one is for Android tablets but you can select your platform/tablet by clicking on it at the top of the article):

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...ndroid-tablets

There are various plans for making calls - the most general one for calling USA is 1.7 cents per minute if you buy a block of credit in advance (it doesn't matter what country you're calling from - rates are based on what country you're making the call to):

http://www.skype.com/en/rates/
    Last edited by act1966; 10-06-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add'l information