Aruba Beach

Thread: Radisson vs Riu

Radisson vs Riu

I know this has been posted before- but here is my dilemma -

I am taking my mom there in Nov for her 76th birthday. I have a free room at the RIU, but am concerned it is too big, too much walking etc for my mom.

I also read, there is not much shade around the RIU pool -is that still a problem? Have they made any changes?

If cost was not an issue - where would you stay and why?

My other question - If I stay at the Radisson - I am trying to decide between a 3 dinner-dine-around plan, or get the meal plan that would include 3 dinners -but only at the Radisson in the Gilligan or Laguna restaurant. I will have breakfast included at the Radisson.

I should also note that neither of us are big drinkers - so having the drinks included is no big deal to us.

THanks for any suggestions - I need to make up my mind very soon!

Sorry I cannot speak about the Riu, but if you are not big drinkers, I would lean towards the Radisson. At the Radisson it is easier to get a shade palapa as well. You can reserve one late afternoon for the following day.

My Dad has difficulty walking and my Mom was just out of therapy after having a new hip during their last stay at the Radisson. They requested a room in the Bonaire tower to be closer to the pool and beach. It is also a short walk to Laguna for breakfast. The Curacao Tower has better views and would be my second choice.

As to the meal packages. Why limit yourself when there are so many dining choices around you on Palm beach or a short taxi ride a way? Lunch at Gilligan's is always good, but I would imagine dinners split solely between there and Laguna would become old very quickly.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for you advice. I was planning on a meal plan just so I can pay for the dinners in advance - no arguing at the restaurant as to who is paying! LOL.. At least with the dine-around plan, there was a few choices for restaurants.

BTW - is there any bingo ?

Okay, I see your reasoning on the pre-paying dinners.

The last I was aware they did offer pool side bingo each afternoon but you had to purchase the cards.

one thing, some friends stayed there (Riu) for our wedding and when we went to see them (which is hard to do because of the security) we noticed how hot it was at the pool!! There wasn't any breeze up there at all..and no shade. I think the way the building is shaped it blocks the wind.
    Scotts Brats
    Playa Linda Resort
    facebook - Legends Pub Aruba
    legendspubaruba.com
    Legends Pub

I think I will go with the Radisson, but would still love to hear more!

rad vs riu

riu is so cheesey! radisson is alot nicer and more tropical. no shade@riu! raddison's arent know around the world as great hotels,but this one is awesome! dont handcuff yourself w/all inclusive!

Dh and I walked from the ocean club to the riu last night, and
    we stopped to look at every pool and lobby. Although the riu
    is very impressive when you walk into the lobby, the pool was
    my least favorite in the highrise section. Does not feel tropical
    at all. No shade. But inside is so beautiful!!

Aruba since 1979
    there was a commment of the riu being cheesy.
    imo the riu does not fit the area.
    but, neither do the other high rises.
    they are a mismatch of design.

i have been in the radisson and the riu.
    i like both.
    the riu is "unique", breathtaking and the pool is something one would only imagine.
    imo the only hotel in that highrise area that is pleasing to the eye and the landscape is the ...........omgosh i cannot think of even one on that high rise end that really pleases the eye on the exterior

it is all about personal taste.
    my favorite layouts that are most eye pleasing are the Tamarijn and Divi all inclusive (not timeshares)
    my opinion and i would love to hear yours.

I have never stayed at the Radisson, but have stayed at the Riu. I am in the minority here, but I loved the Riu, so much so that I am going back next year. The rooms were clean and the housekeeping staff were wonderful. Always had a towel figure with flower petals on the bed after the room was made up. If you are a pool person, then the Riu is not the place to stay as there is no shade (which you've already heard).