Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Re: All Inclusive. Do you go Off resort

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks burghboy. The reason I asked is because I have noticed that some AI participants mention off resort dining plans often.
    I wondered just how many do it.

We did AI our first visit because it was our first island and we really didn't know what to expect. We chose Holiday Inn based on our budget, at the time we could get AI at Holiday Inn for almost the same price as the Radisson with nothing, so we decided to go with the meals just to be sure we would be comfortable and stay within our budget. Once we got settled in and felt comfortable, we went off resort a few times. We found the AI there really didn't offer much variety, or our favorite beer. Once we knew how safe the area felt, we ventured out but not much and I feel like we missed so much that first visit staying too close to the resort. Plus we ended up overpaying for food since we paid for AI, and also paid for excursions that included meals. I recommend to anyone going AI, get out and walk around more than we did our first trip.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We don't do AI to Aruba. We have gone AI on some other trips because of safety and other issues. We checked the rates for AI on Aruba and dont feel like we would get our moneys worth since we only have a couple of drinks a day and usually want a bagel, melon and coffee for breakfast and usually only want a sandwich for lunch. We enjoy trying different restaurants around the island in the evening. It gives us a reason to go somewhere new.

If you were staying at the Riu Antillas this Christmas you would be paying a minimum of $53.68 of your room rate towards the government tax which in this case is called a "Tourist levy", however the government has set a MINIMUM OF $90.50 per night.

The government may punish tourists for using an all inclusive resort because of the hit that the small business people, restaurants in particular, are taking, however they see no issue in taking their "cut" of the perceived (?) privilege (?) of an all inclusive vacation TAX.

I'll also add that I have read on other forums that people stay at all inclusive resorts because they are either big drinkers or "cheap". We've stayed all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor twice in the past year solely for convenience and no matter how we slice it, it is a break even at best.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 09-12-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    Is that figure per night lisa?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Is that figure per night lisa?
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    From July 2013 https://www.pwc.com/en_AN/an/publica...tourstlevy.pdf

"Tourist levy - Amendment taxable base for all-inclusive hotels

All-inclusive hotels and hotels offering all-inclusive packages must pay tourist levy (9.5%) on a fixed percentage of the total price of the all-inclusive package (the so-called ‘taxable base’).

The minimum taxable base for all-inclusive packages of Afl. 162 (USD 90.50) per day and the addition of the charges (e.g. service charges) to the taxable base remains the same."
    On the bright side at least the way I read it, the government taxi is per ROOM, not per person.

The Riu has traditionally been the most expensive all inclusive resort on the island. They are already sold out for certain dates for Christmas but the Antillas has rooms for $565 a night (most likely low "introductory special"). Tamarijn is over $600/night for same dates.

9.5% of $565 is only $53.68 so $90.50 is a nice chunk of cash, 'er tax for the government.

Like I said, the only winner here is the government. Tourists are punished for the convenience of all inclusive, but I'll look at it as a convenience "surcharge".

If a person believes the small business owners are losing business due to the tourists staying at an all inclusive resort, what benefit are they receiving from the tax? I know that years ago staying at the Tamarijn their rates were low enough that we could justify eating dinners off property. An extra $90 a night on the room rate is pretty darn close to what we would spend for dinner for 2 for an off property dinner.

Instead of us taking that $90 and giving it to a small business owner for an off property dinner, the money instead goes into the government coffers.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 09-12-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    If you were staying at the Riu Antillas this Christmas you would be paying a minimum of $53.68 of your room rate towards the government tax which in this case is called a "Tourist levy", however the government has set a MINIMUM OF $90.50 per night.

The government may punish tourists for using an all inclusive resort because of the hit that the small business people, restaurants in particular, are taking, however they see no issue in taking their "cut" of the perceived (?) privilege (?) of an all inclusive vacation TAX.

I'll also add that I have read on other forums that people stay at all inclusive resorts because
    they are either big drinkers or "cheap". We've stayed all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor twice in the past year solely for convenience and no matter how we slice it, it is a break even at best.
    I'm relatively frugal and a moderately robust drinker. I think I'm doing this all wrong lol

I enjoyed all the "pros/n/cons of the all-inclusive resorts and eating off-site and what people think about the effect on the economy not eating off-sites. Thank you, Andrea, for opening this topic for discussion...the answers/reasons where so very enjoyable.

Ed

I've never stayed anywhere AI. I'm always afraid of being stuck. I really like the freedom to make my own choices.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    The reason we do rentals rather than AI is we like the feeling of having our own space. Since moving to Aruba isn't practical for us I like being able to pretend like I am coming home when I visit. The reason I love having a kitchen has nothing to do with saving money but rather having just another dining option . I actually love to cook and my favorite all time meal was a very romantic candlelit dinner next to the private pool at one of our rentals. You also can't beat the feeling of rolling out of bed and having a leisurely breakfast in your "jammies". I have thought of doing an Aruba AI but the thought of giving up those conveniences I have become accustomed to is a hard choice to make.

I have done AI elsewhere and ended up never leaving the property, granted some of the properties in the Dominican Republic are probably the size of Palm Beach. Aruba has such a small town feel I fear that my trip would be missing something if I devoted too much attention to any one thing. As far as the financial aspect of a vacation, booking an AI would probably mean that I rarely if ever ate off property as that little angel on my shoulder would constantly remind me that me that technically I am "double paying" for my meal.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast