Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Renaissance Resort and Casino???

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24

    Renaissance Resort and Casino???

    My husband and I are headed to Aruba for the first time next Monday (6/13). I booked the Renaissance because we're in the middle of buying a house and are trying not to spend too much $$ - I got a great deal on the price for our stay. But, I'm reading some reviews and am having second thoughts. We like to stay at fairly nice hotels/resorts when we go away. It's one of the things I enjoy most about Caribbean vacations (meaning, the hotel itself). I'm seeing such mixed reviews - some people LOVE it for the location, private beach, etc and some people HATE it saying it's run down and the staff is terrible. I have until 6/10 to cancel our reservations (obviously I'd book something else but don't know how the pricing will be). Do you have any thoughts/opinions on this hotel? Also, we're booked in Marina since it's adults only but a lot of the reviews are saying the Ocean Suites are nicer. Thoughts on that? Thank you!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,894
    oh that is a bunch of hogwash.
    the renaissance marina is a lovely resort with a comfortable rooms, a nice pool and pool/lobby bar named BLUE.

    we have stayed there pre and post timeshare and we always got a good deal thru priceline.
    i do not think it is run down or the staff terrible.

    their pool is nice

    their private island is terrific and the shuttle boats are frequent.

    they have some nice on site restaurants AQUARIUS and LG SMITH.

    we loved having a room that looked out into the lobby/mezzanine area.

    remember, for everyone that does not like a resort, there will be someone that likes it fine.

    i do not know you or your needs but i feel comfortable saying that it is a nice place to stay and the amenities are great.

    Quote Originally Posted by kerber981 View Post
    My husband and I are headed to Aruba for the first time next Monday (6/13). I booked the Renaissance because we're in the middle of buying a house and are trying not to spend too much $$ - I got a great deal on the price for our stay. But, I'm reading some reviews and am having second thoughts. We like to stay at fairly nice hotels/resorts when we go away. It's one of the things I enjoy most about Caribbean vacations (meaning, the hotel itself). I'm seeing such mixed reviews - some people LOVE it for the location, private beach, etc and some people HATE it saying it's run down and the staff is terrible. I have until 6/10 to cancel our reservations (obviously I'd book something else but don't know how the pricing will be). Do you have any thoughts/opinions on this hotel? Also, we're booked in Marina since it's adults only but a lot of the reviews are saying the Ocean Suites are nicer. Thoughts on that? Thank you!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    oh that is a bunch of hogwash.
    the renaissance marina is a lovely resort with a comfortable rooms, a nice pool and pool/lobby bar named BLUE.

    we have stayed there pre and post timeshare and we always got a good deal thru priceline.
    i do not think it is run down or the staff terrible.

    their pool is nice

    their private island is terrific and the shuttle boats are frequent.

    they have some nice on site restaurants AQUARIUS and LG SMITH.

    we loved having a room that looked out into the lobby/mezzanine area.

    remember, for everyone that does not like a resort, there will be someone that likes it fine.

    i do not know you or your needs but i feel comfortable saying that it is a nice place to stay and the amenities are great.
    Thank you! That is comforting. I certainly take the opinion of those on this forum - I've been reading through and it seems you all have been visiting for a while and have honest opinions. My parent's time share is also there - though they've never gone and when I tried to book it it was booked solid for about two years out. I thought that was a good sign but got nervous with the reviews.

  4. #4
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,894
    the building you are booked for is the "marina tower" and the timeshares are at the renaissance suites diagonally across the street. both nice properties, but the renaissance suites has some timeshare units. the marina building has no timeshares and are not suites, they are strictly hotel rooms.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    146

    Renaissance

    I'm sure you'll really enjoy Aruba. I don't know anything about the hotel rooms in the Marina but I just wanted to point out that this hotel is downtown not on the beach. If you were looking for a very tropical location where you can walk right out to the beach, this is not the resort for you. If you want a convenient location to the downtown restaurants and a view of the harbor, you'll love it!

    Mary Alice

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    the building you are booked for is the "marina tower" and the timeshares are at the renaissance suites diagonally across the street. both nice properties, but the renaissance suites has some timeshare units. the marina building has no timeshares and are not suites, they are strictly hotel rooms.
    May I ask, in your opinion, would the ocean suites be a better choice? I'm not put off to children being around - that is fine. Just want the nicer of the two. Thank you!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by macalh View Post
    I'm sure you'll really enjoy Aruba. I don't know anything about the hotel rooms in the Marina but I just wanted to point out that this hotel is downtown not on the beach. If you were looking for a very tropical location where you can walk right out to the beach, this is not the resort for you. If you want a convenient location to the downtown restaurants and a view of the harbor, you'll love it!

    Mary Alice
    Thank you for clarifying this! We are happy to be either on the beach or in the heart of town - we're diverse vacationers! haha. It's good to know, though, I'll point it out to my husband and ensure that he's okay with this!

  8. #8
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,894
    that is a tough one.
    i like the marina tower.
    there has not been a renovation at the ocean suites in a few years and imo the units may be a little tired. not dirty, not crappy, but in need of a fresh coat of paint, new furniture etc... the bedroom has a nice king bed, there is a fairly decent sized bathroom, a small limited kitchenette, and a living room with a pullout sofa. there is a balcony or a patio.
    there is a pool and a small manmade beach.
    (DISCLOSURE we are staying at ocean suites in december)

    do you want a suite? or do you want a hotel room?

    if the price is the same, i would opt for the suites.



    Quote Originally Posted by kerber981 View Post
    May I ask, in your opinion, would the ocean suites be a better choice? I'm not put off to children being around - that is fine. Just want the nicer of the two. Thank you!

  9. #9
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,894
    Resort Reviews
    check out this thread above.

    andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by kerber981 View Post
    May I ask, in your opinion, would the ocean suites be a better choice? I'm not put off to children being around - that is fine. Just want the nicer of the two. Thank you!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Resort Reviews
    check out this thread above.

    andrea
    Thank you - you have been so helpful. You are so right to point out that these things are a matter of opinion. I guess it's just that we don't get to vacation often so when we do we usually try to go all out - this time we're not able to do so financially and I'm afraid that our rare opportunity to get away may be spoiled by a bad hotel experience. At the end of the day, I'm sure the island itself is beautiful and frankly, being there to celebrate our first anniversary will be enough to make for a great trip. Thanks for the reality check - I needed it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO