Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resorts Charging Fees for Palapas?

Aruba since 1979
    i think, that if one brings their own beach chair and uses a palapa the user is within the law. the beach is public. the palapas are built on PUBLIC property and are not OWNED by the resort. the chairs and lounges are owned by the individual resorts. so................if one brings their own beach chair, parks themself under a palapa there is supposed to be no issue.

for those that have ever done this, i would love to hear how it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by BillStellaR View Post
    I think I will just go and sit under one to see what happens.

Radisson told me, if i wanted to reserve one in front row would be 40.00 per day and i think 29.00 for ones in back row, (( only to reserve )) otherwise get one for free, just wait in the line day before, at 4:00, to get your name on one for the next day... think I'll wait...on line... ( hopefully not a long one)

Quote Originally Posted by KATH2ME View Post
    wait in the line day before, at 4:00, to get your name on one for the next day... think I'll wait...on line... ( hopefully not a long one)
    MUCH better to wait on a line at 4 pm pre happy hour than at 6:30 or 7 am. No one should have to get up that early on vacation.

But for those who HAVE to have shade, with a limited number of palapas, what is the solution? Guests are paying $100 a night on the very low end up to $500+ per night at Christmas. I suppose if you can afford $500 a night then an additional $40/day for a palapa is no big deal?
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-26-2010 at 10:29 AM.

ummm - sounds like a strategy that turns public beaches into private areas???

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I read in another thread that the Marriott was now charging for palapas. Wasn't their policy to charge guests who wish to reserve in advance, but there were still "free" palapas available on a first come, first served basis?

Have all the resorts gone to this policy?

As of the end of the year the Tamarijn was not charging for palapas.
    You're correct, that the policy at the Marriott (at least at the Stellaris) is to charge a fee to reserve odd numbered palapas for up to three days (the price is dependent how close the rows are to the water...I think it runs $20 back-$25 middle-$30 front). Even numbered palapas are first come first serve starting at 7 am at no charge. I'm not sure how early a guest is expected to occupy a palapa before the two hour rule takes effect, but if a palapa is left unused for more than two hours, it can be reassigned. Unless the person returns their reservation card back to the reservation hut, or at least removes their reservation card from the card holder on their palapa, nobody is really monitoring them. From what I've seen, most people are pretty courteous and do remove their reservation cards when they're leaving for the day when it's early enough for someone else to make use of the palapa.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

This isn't a new policy for the hotels. I paid for a palapa back in 2004 at the Marriott Stellaris. I think I paid $25 for the day. Left to meet my husband for lunch and came back to find someone else napping underneath.

Aruba since 1979
    did you awaken the person and tell him/her that all one needs to do is ask if one is willing to share some shade? i hope he/she was just unaware and not being bold and rude.

i have seen folks be so brazen that they have waited for palapa users to go into the water, then, make a mad dash to the not quite vacant palapa, remove the original "users" stuff and make themselves right at home.

speaking for myself, why can folks not share properly/politely ?

@ lacabana and divi village pool and beach i have seen older couples walking around looking for shade and a spot to park themselves. rarely have i seen the already settled, speak up and say "come share this umbrella with me".

common courtesy is the golden rule
    "everything i need to know i learned in kindergarten" = a terrific book.

Quote Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
    This isn't a new policy for the hotels. I paid for a
    palapa back in 2004 at the Marriott Stellaris. I think I paid $25 for the day. Left to meet my husband for lunch and came back to find someone else napping underneath.

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    Whenever we went to the beach if there was a couple under one with plenty of shade to share we asked. That sun is brutle after a while!

Aruba since 1979
    seems to me that there is usually sufficient shade coverage on most beach palapas to make sharing very doable if there are only 2 or less users.

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    thats why i love ren island no charges no fees no problem never really mobed like other beaches
    scott and tricia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast