Aruba Beach

Thread: RIU or OCCIDENTAL??

Question RIU or OCCIDENTAL??

My Fiance and I are traveling to Aruba for our honeymoon. We've decided to go all-inclusive and are torn between the Riu and the Occidental. We figured since it's our honeymoon we wanted to do fancy. Which one do you guys recommend? Better food? Better rooms? Better beds? Better entertainment? Better Beach(I know both will be crowded)

I think I read somewhere that the Riu's king sized beds are 2 queen sized push together unless you get the $$$ suites. Are the Occidentals "real" king beds?

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately there are not a lot of posts about either of these resorts here on the forum. When you return, regardless of where you stay, please DO come back and tell us all about it. Here are a few posts about the Riu:

Inside the RIU Palace
    Rui all Inclusive or Radisson.

Cool Occidental is my favorite

I prefer the Occidental Grand Aruba. It is more of a hoppin place to be. The beds are fantastic. Real king beds, and are pillow topped. The Riu beds are very hard and uncomfortable. The Occidental is much more laid back and relaxed, and the beach is much better the the Riu.

The Riu has a very French Polynesian style, and has very dark decor in the rooms. The Occidental is bright, and makes you feel like you are in an exotic place as it should.

Hopes this helps.

Riu as a chain has always been nice. We are visiting in January for our aniversarry and are very much looking forward to our first stay at the riu and our 10th to Aruba

awesome, thanks guys for the info.....I think we are leaning towards the Occidental....better rooms

Wink

Stayed and both places.We have stayed at the Occidental ever since it was the Americana, then Allegra, then Occ. The place is wonderful. The food is basically good, if not great. The hotel has gone from very open to closed and airconditioned (nice) -great renovation! RIU is very BIG and open -for me too open and not comfortable. Although pool is great, the rooms are mediocre compared to the Occidental, food not bad for AI. Language at the Riu was a little difficult because all or most employees were from elsewhere, and not aruba. To us the aruban people are Great, friendly and help make your vacation pleasurable. We are going back next month for 10 days our 6th trip. hope this helps.

Thank you for the info. We're heading to the Occidental tomorrow and we're super excited.

I'll report back when we return!

The Occidental is great! Stayed there last year and will be there again in 23 days! We looked into staying at the Rui but when we walked past it last year, there was no shade around the pool area and it's very BRIGHT at night time not that it's a bad thing.....but we thought we would stick with the Occidental - people were wonderful and the food was good! Enjoy your vacation.