Aruba Beach
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Liz - Aruba Lover
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: RIU - From Rona Coster's column

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar

RIU - From Rona Coster's column

THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY. Music from the movie, please: tralalalala, la-la-la. The drama unfolding on Palm Beach regarding the upcoming sale of the Grande Dame, reads like an Italian Spaghetti Western script. The Good wants to save the little frontier town, keep everyone employed and drive the menacing raiders out. The Bad wants to turn the town into an oil field, get rich by digging wells, exploit the purchased land to the max, and to hell with the locals. The Mayor is secretly hoping to get his hands on more money, but is embarrassed to admit it, because he knows the Bad is unpopular with the townís people, so he is posturing, being upset with him. Then in order to appease the Good he also acts appalled, because after all, as the Mayor of the town, keeping his job is his top priority. In the movies the Good always wins, miraculously, but in reality, the Bad, deep-pocketed opportunist always rises to the top.

Aruba is blessed by a free market economy, and anyone has the right to sell anything, at his convenience, to the highest bidder. And it is absolutely true that no one is overly concerned with whatís good for island in overview. The all-inclusive beast might be hugely unpopular with taxi drivers and restaurant owners, but itís what mass-tourism wants, the ability to gorge on vacation, drink and eat unbounded and unrestrained.

While itís a blow to Arubaís upscale wannabe image, we have known for a long time that the Riu giant lusted after the neighboring Radisson property. The Westin came up first, now pac-man is getting ready to gobble-gobble one more. In general, the Riu brand dominates beachfront landscapes in many Caribbean locations . They bring plenty of new tourists on their own airline, and as long as they pay their taxes, Aruba will be fine with 23% all-inclusive tourist accommodations island wide, or from another perspective with 40% of the EP hotels, offered as all-inclusive tourist accommodations

The present government promised no more all inclusive resorts, most that book all inclusive
    are not familiar with the island.

Many leave the ai resorts in search of the restaurants, while sitting on the beach and speaking with
    repeaters.

The loss of radisson would impact palm beach, it's a shame.

Aruba since 1979
    According to www.noticiacla.com RIU lost the case and at the end if the month the keys and money will change hands. Hilton will run it under the name Aruba Caribbean Hotel to honor the first hotel built

Is there still going to be a hearing on 6/17?

I hope they stay away from the occidental!!
    that would really be an issue for me...

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky59 View Post
    I hope they stay away from the occidental!!
    that would really be an issue for me...
    Wasn't there some talk a few months ago here on the forum that Occidental might be leaving Aruba? If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Riu tried to take over the property.

The Occidental chain was for sale, many potential buyers only had interest
    in the cash cow, aruba, barcelo group were very close on purchasing the occidental chain
    withdrew their interest in january.

The hearing is scheduled for june 17.
    Riu ownership would hurt timeshare owners, the workers are very concerned..

i suppose we just have to wait and see then!

Andrea - how reliable is noticiacia.com?
    12th VISIT APRIL 2017 ******TRULEY IN LOVE WITH ARUBA!!!*****

Aruba since 1979
    i have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by shariuno View Post
    i suppose we just have to wait and see then!

Andrea - how reliable is noticiacia.com?

lots of info on the website.........if only i could read it!
    12th VISIT APRIL 2017 ******TRULEY IN LOVE WITH ARUBA!!!*****