Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snorkeling Gear at the Tam

Snorkeling Gear at the Tam

For those that have stayed at the Tam - what is the quality of the snorkeling equipment? How about the cleanliness? Can you keep the same equipment for your entire stay or do you have to hand it in at the end of each day? Just wondering what the protocol is.

The gear is not bad, when it is available. We have been disappointed on more than one occasion. It seems people do indeed keep the equipment throughout their stay even though asked to turn it in at the end of the day.

To be perfectly honest there is not much to see off the Tamarijn resort. You will see people swimming up and down the beach but with a sandy bottom there is nothing to see but an occasional stray passerby and small silver fish.

South past the Bunker Bar, off the beach a ways there is sea grass. You can see some critters here when lucky. Luckiest I have been is sea urchins and starfish.

Aruba since 1979
    i have seen how they clean the snorkels and masks. it is with fresh water and bleach solution.
    Happy Holidays to ALL Aruba.com Community Forum Members

Druif Beach, Casibari, Guadirikiri Cave, and Boca Catalina
    We'll be at the Tam in July. My kids have snorkel gear that they usually just use for fun in a swimming pool. I guess it would be worth it to bring it, though that wasn't originally on our packing list... I'm sure the bleach solution is adequate; I'm more concerned with not being able to get a mask if they want it.

Is it worth it to buy/bring snorkel gear for my husband and myself? We'd definitely not be using it in the beaches or pools of NJ, so it would be for vacation use only.

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    Dh and I wished we had brought snorkel gear on our last trip. But it depends on how much you plan to go other places to snorkel. As Lisa said there's not much to see by the Tam. The kids would probably enjoy having their stuff either way.

thanks everyone....DH has a few more questions....if we walk from the Tam down the beach - how far will we get in 1/2 hour? or rewording the question - how long does it take to walk to the high rise section - or another location that we could snorkel? (I guess that is multiple questions)

Also - how far can we take the kayaks from the Tam?

Aruba since 1979
    see below in red

Quote Originally Posted by TravelDuff View Post
    thanks everyone....DH has a few more questions....if we walk from the Tam down the beach - how far will we get in 1/2 hour? or rewording the question - how long does it take to walk to the high rise section - or another location that we could snorkel? well, the only place to snorkel heading up toward the high rise is at the phoenix and that is really not so hot. speaking of hot, the walk up to the phoenix will be hot and my guess is that it is about a 30 or 40 minute walk.
    there is a public bus that goes from downtown, lo rise and on up to the hi rise and marriott.
    the best snorkeling in bus range is up at arashi area...catalina cove.
    i do not know if the tam allows one to take the kayaks out of visual range from the watersports area. yrs ago, we took out the kayaks and sunfish and were told to stay close.

(I guess that is multiple questions)

Aruba since 1979
    How far is Catalina Cove?
    check out this link too.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelDuff View Post
    thanks everyone....DH has a few more questions....if we walk from the Tam down the beach - how far will we get in 1/2 hour? or rewording the question - how long does it take to walk to the high rise section - or another location that we could snorkel? (I guess that is multiple questions)

For reference, from the Tam's Bunker Bar to Amsterdam Manor and back is roughly 5 miles. Amsterdam manor is as far as you can walk on the beach. Rocks begin there and you need to swing up toward the road.

This is our every morning walk and although we've been doing it for years, we honestly don't know how long it takes. Thinking 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The morning beach walk is one item we look forward to most. By the end of two weeks, callouses are worn from the bottoms of my feet and they're as soft as a babies hinder!
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Aruba since 1979
    wow snidely, 5 miles r/t!!?? never in my thoughts did i think it was 2.5 miles from Tam to AM. I would have guessed maybe a mile and half one way.
    i learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely View Post
    For reference, from the Tam's Bunker Bar to Amsterdam Manor and back is roughly 5 miles. Amsterdam manor is as far as you can walk on the beach. Rocks begin there and you need to swing up toward the road.

This is our every morning walk and although we've been doing it for years, we honestly don't know how long it takes. Thinking 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The morning beach walk is one item we look forward to most. By the end of two weeks, callouses are worn from the bottoms of my feet and they're as soft as a babies hinder!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast