Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Tamarijn

Also if I have to make a reservation...say for breakfast... do I use the room phone.. or how do I go about doing all the meal reservations in advance?

I know I'm confusing... I am going to read all the info and print all the links... but how do I make a reservation for food for the day we arrive.. in other words.. we get into Aruba this Tuesday at 2:30 probably won't get out of the airport until around 4 or so.... never have been through customs etc.... how do I make sure we have a place to eat...for that night..and the next morning etc...... Please Help me.

Quote Originally Posted by sfarmer View Post
    Thanks, I want to understand the restaurants at the 2 shared resorts... If I'm understanding right.. I need to make reservations for each time we want to eat? Even if it's for breakfast/ buffet/ hamburger ???
    No- reservations are required only for dinner at the ala carte restaurants at dinner time.

For breakfast your choices are the buffet at the Tamarijn or Divi.

For lunch your choices are the buffet at the Tamarijn or Divi or at the Tamarijn the pizza bar or at the Divi, Coco Bar & Grill or the Sandpiper.

For dinner your choices are any of the above, where you may walk in, or any of the ala carte restaurants listed at the website below where you will need reservations.

There is a list of all of their restaurants at
    http://diviaruba.com/restaurants/index.php

The ala carte restaurants for dinner are Red Parrot, Paparazzi Restaurant, Ginger or The Palm Grill. All are at the Tamarijn with the exception of the Red Parrot which is at the Divi.

If you enjoy fine dining, you may also dine at Windows on Aruba for a surcharge of $35 per person for a three course dinner, excluding beverages.

Also if I have to make a reservation...say for breakfast... do I use the room phone.. or how do I go about doing all the meal reservations in advance?
    Restaurant Reservations at the Tamarijn

You must physically go to the concierge desk to make the ala carte dinner reservations. You can reserve up to three nights at a time. You will receive a paper "reservation" receipt. Make sure you bring it with you to your dinner, you will be asked for it.

For the buffets and snack bars, you may just "walk up".

how do I make sure we have a place to eat...for that night..and the next morning etc...... Please Help me.
    When you arrive at the resort, you will see the concierge desk directly across from the front desk. This is where you will make your ala carte dinner reservations.
    There is no way in which to make reservations prior to arrival.

Read through the post at
    Restaurant Reservations at the Tamarijn
    for tips and hints on times and alternatives.

If worst comes to worse, you may walk into the buffet at either the Divi or Tamarijn for dinner without a reservation.

I heard there is usually a gathering/celebration on Tuesday nights..like a carnaval... does anyone know where it is and how far away from the Tamarijn.. re: walking distance/time.
    The Tamarijn has a fantastic carnival show. Again, if you miss it the night that it is offered at the Tamarijn, you can catch it at the Divi. Video

I've never flown before and am getting very very nervous...
    Packing List (by Liz of NJ aruba Lover)
    DO NOT FORGET...
    TICKETS / ID / DOCUMENTS:
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [ ] U.S. Passport (required after Dec. 31, 2006)

Red face Tamarijn in July Questions unanswered :)

Hello everyone! [Sorry ahead of time if its too long or too many questions.]

So I found this forum around the time that the idea of our first family vacation to Aruba thoughts were in the air. When the trip became official I registered immediately and received help in booking with Ivan to transfer us to and from the hotel. Again thank you.

My family (my mom, dad, grandmother and sister) will be staying at the Tam between July 16-20 and we are very excited but also nervous having never been outside of the US especially in a country where we won't know anyone.

So I did my best to search and these are a few questions I could not pinpoint an answer to.

Palapas at the Tam- Do we have to wake up early to reserve one? How early? Many at trip advisor have mentioned that the palapas are always taken. I don't mind waking up early with my sister to reserve one since my grandmother would need the shade.

Rooms- Does anyone have a pictures of the Tam rooms from the 2nd floor view? Would it be a much longer walk to the beach?

Blocks- I understand that the beach conditions are unpredictable but which block would be best if we want a good view of the beach but two rooms together one with a king (where my dad and mom would stay) and two queens (with my sister sharing one with her and my grandmother). I under blocks 11-13 are preferable but would they have the option of both king and two queens.

Tipping- The idea of tipping per shift seems best but does anyone know what the shifts are or at least an estimate?

Last but not least Are there any coconuts around the Tam? lol We are fans of coconuts/coconut juice

Again sorry for all the questions. I'm literally my family's personal travel agent and I don't want them scolding me over misinformation lol :roll eyes:

Thanks again <3
    Last edited by bksalvadorean417; 05-29-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: I forgot to add the information on the block area

Wink Sympathy from a fellow "family travel agent"

I will answer what I am able.

Yes, you will need to awaken early to get a palapa. I believe I read on another forum that the chaises are not locked up at night to prevent people from claiming them "too early". Figure though somewhere in the area of 6 or 7 am.

My dh is an early riser because he has to work on vacation. I know in the past when chaises were not locked up, there were mornings when my dh was out on the beach working on his laptop at 6 am and there were already palapas reserved. The buffet opens at 7 am for breakfast.

Rooms on the second floor are accessible by stairs only and they are at the end of the building.

I cannot comment on the 2 queens vs king bed issue except to say that we or our family have stayed in five different rooms on the first floor of the 1300 building and they all had two queens. We were in a room on the first floor of 1200 one stay which had two queens and friends had a second floor room in the 1200 building and they had two queens as well.

Not sure you will find any coconuts at the Tamarijn. As a rule I have found most resorts cut them down prior to maturity to reduce the risk of a coconut falling on a person's head and injuring them. There was a resort years ago which had a guest killed by a falling coconut poolside

Aruba since 1979
    re: your tipping question

"supposedly" tips are already included in your all inclusive package.
    that being said, it is always nice to tip additionally.
    i do not know about the shift timing..but here is how we tipped, the few times we were at the tam.
    @ the tamarijn we tipped the housekeeper daily. we left the money on the dresser or handed it directly to her. $5 or $6 per day.
    the bar tenders, we tipped directly to the bar tender in the afternoon and again late afternoon evening. usually a total of $10 - $15
    breakfast, we tipped our server (buffet breakfast) couple of $$
    lunch , we tipped the server (lunch buffet) couple of $$
    dinner, if we ate at the al'acarte we tipped the server usually $5 - 8. if we ate at the buffet, we tipped the server a couple of $$.

when we stayed at the tam, they did advertise that there were 2 queens in the rooms.
    at that point in time, those queens imo were double/full beds and not queens.

i am glad that lisa answered your other questions.

It was late when I posted so a bit fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    re: your tipping question
    i do not know about the shift timing.
    Bar shifts change at 5 pm. Tips among bartenders are pooled. You have to love teens, our dd usually orders a pizza for breakfast. We have had some issues with our dd who is, let's just say short, but NOT invisible getting served at the pizza bar. We tip accordingly.

when we stayed at the tam, they did advertise that there were 2 queens in the rooms.
    at that point in time, those queens imo were double/full beds and not queens.
    I liken this to the subject, "Italian food" in Aruba is not "true" Italian.

"True" queen size beds where ever we have stayed have always been full size beds.

I have to say though I never sleep better anywhere in the world than at the Tamarijn. Radisson is a close second.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast