Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Tamarijn

Aruba since 1979
    ya, what is it with full being subbed out for queens.
    paul and i are large people and being jammed in a full/double is uncomfortable for us.

when kevin was your daughter's age, at the pizza bar at the tam, we had to make sure that he had a wad of singles so they would serve him.

i sleep well in aruba too.
    wonder why ? ;-)

Thanks again for the insight Arubalisa and Andrea
    As for being fuzzy don't worry, you answered very quickly Arubalisa

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

Yes, you will need to awaken early to get a palapa. I believe I read on another forum that the chaises are not locked up at night to prevent people from claiming them "too early". Figure though somewhere in the area of 6 or 7 am.
    Perfect. I can get up with my sister and bring along some of those plastic picnic table clothes to sit on if the chaises are locked up. I just hope the sun is up by then. I wouldn't feel so safe with just my sister and I sitting in a dark beach. There is no way my dad is getting up that early. He works the night shift so he doesn't know what waking up early is in a long time.

Rooms on the second floor are accessible by stairs only and they are at the end of the building.
    That may be a long walk for my grandmother. I'll have to speak to my parents. They are keen on the second floor for the balcony and the security.

[COLOR=Navy]when we stayed at the tam, they did advertise that there were 2 queens in the rooms.
    at that point in time, those queens imo were double/full beds and not queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J View Post
    [COLOR=Navy]we or our family have stayed in five different rooms on the first floor of the 1300 building and they all had two queens. We were in a room on the first floor of 1200 one stay which had two queens and friends had a second floor room in the 1200 building and they had two queens as well.
    I don't mind a full bed. When I sleep over my parents' house, I share the bed with my sister and she has a full bed. The problem is I doubt my parents will want to sleep in two separate beds. I guess I'll need a block where there is a King bed.

[COLOR=Navy]Not sure you will find any coconuts at the Tamarijn. As a rule I have found most resorts cut them down prior to maturity to reduce the risk of a coconut falling on a person's head and injuring them. There was a resort years ago which had a guest killed by a falling coconut poolside
    That's horrible and sad. I can understand why if its for the safety of others.
    I guess we can ask Ivan of any places that sell coconuts on our way there.

Andrea: RE: Tipping: Thanks for the tips on tipping. It helps distribute and tip here and there since it'll be five of us. I didn't think we'd tip at the buffet. Lol. I did read somewhere to be discreet about though so I'll have to be careful.

Aruba Lisa: RE: Shift: Thanks. It helps because I'll be swimming and about and wouldn't want to carry so much money on me so I'd prefer to give a certain amount in the afternoon and then after 5pm.

As for Italian food. I'll keep that in mind when at the Paparazzi.
    I hope I sleep like a baby at Aruba too. College has a way of stealing that luxury from you

Quote Originally Posted by bksalvadorean417 View Post
    I wouldn't feel so safe with just my sister and I sitting in a dark beach. There is no way my dad is getting up that early.
    Sunrise in July is between 6:19 am and 6:26 am. The sun rises quickly and sets quickly as well. Sunsets will be about 7:10 pm

That may be a long walk for my grandmother. I'll have to speak to my parents. They are keen on the second floor for the balcony and the security.
    I have to say, that if the walk is going to be any issue whatsoever...request a ground floor room. Imo, and anyone tell me if they know otherwise, speaking from experience, the Tamarijn is the best resort for beach access for anyone who has difficulty getting around or is handicapped.

We have stayed at the Tamarijn four times. We have ALWAYS felt safe and VERY secure staying in a ground floor room. All sliders have security bars on them. Security patrols the resort and will go around checking ground floor room doors to make sure that you HAVE secured your door.

LOL, we have been locked out of our room by housekeeping when she left and secured the slider with the bar while we were out on the beach and the key was left in the room.

...and if you hear of things being stolen from patios at night ...towels, bathing suits etc. NEVER ever NO MATTER where you stay in Aruba leave anything outside. It WILL blow away in the trade winds.

I don't mind a full bed. When I sleep over my parents' house, I share the bed with my sister and she has a full bed. The problem is I doubt my parents will want to sleep in two separate beds. I guess I'll need a block where there is a King bed.
    Perhaps someone else can comment, but I "think" that 1100 building has king beds. Not 100% certain though. I walk by there a lot though and never see anyone but "couples".
    That's horrible and sad. I can understand why if its for the safety of others.I guess we can ask Ivan of any places that sell coconuts on our way there.
    Ivan will know where to get them.
    Andrea: RE: Tipping: Thanks for the tips on tipping. It helps distribute and tip here and there since it'll be five of us. I didn't think we'd tip at the buffet. Lol. I did read somewhere to be discreet about though so I'll have to be careful.
    We have found that tipping at the buffet insures quick refills on beverages as well as never a dirty plate in front of you. Not that service is bad, but they will be on top of you if they know you tip.
    Aruba Lisa: RE: Shift: Thanks. It helps because I'll be swimming and about and wouldn't want to carry so much money on me so I'd prefer to give a certain amount in the afternoon and then after 5pm.
    TIP...I never gain weight on vacation staying at the Tamarijn. Lots of walking back to the room, but NEVER far enough to make it seem like work. It is more of a casual stroll.

As for Italian food. I'll keep that in mind when at the Paparazzi.
    We have always enjoyed Paparazzi as long as you know what to expect. People have been horrified... by for example: Lasagna- Oven baked lasagna with ground beef, cottage cheese and mozzarella

LOL, dh is Italian and just found a recipe for lasagna with cottage cheese he is going to try here at home. I guess don't knock it until you have tried it.

Overall we have never had any issues with the food at the Tamarijn/Divi.

If you can swing it, I highly recommend dinner one night at Windows on Aruba. It is an extra $35 pp for a three course dinner, not including beverages, but fine dining for sure in an elegant atmosphere. Even more so if you are celebrating a special occasion.

bksalvadorean417, we will see you there. We booked today.

[QUOTE=Arubalisa;225879]Sunrise in July is between 6:19 am and 6:26 am. The sun rises quickly and sets quickly as well. Sunsets will be about 7:10 pm

So I guess 6am won't be a problem if the sun starts rising and quickly
    I can't believe how early it sets compare to here where it sets almost past 8 in the summer

I have to say, that if the walk is going to be any issue whatsoever...request a ground floor room. Imo, and anyone tell me if they know otherwise, speaking from experience, the Tamarijn is the best resort for beach access for anyone who has difficulty getting around or is handicapped.
    I'll have to speak to my parents but I think we might go for the 2nd floor, even my grandmother is preferring it. I know at times she will want to go back to the room to rest some.

We have ALWAYS felt safe and VERY secure staying in a ground floor room. NEVER ever NO MATTER where you stay in Aruba leave anything outside. It WILL blow away in the trade winds.
    I heard a lot of the trade winds. We're going to have to find a summer hat that has a cowboy tie to hold it down

Perhaps someone else can comment, but I "think" that 1100 building has king beds. Not 100% certain though. I walk by there a lot though and never see anyone but "couples".
    Might make sense. I was going to email to reserve ahead of time at least two weeks in advance. I guess I still have time to be sure of where I would like along with a 2nd and third option

We have found that tipping at the buffet insures quick refills on beverages as well as never a dirty plate in front of you. Not that service is bad, but they will be on top of you if they know you tip.
    It seems the people from Aruba take tips as it was before where it was to secure proper service

TIP...I never gain weight on vacation staying at the Tamarijn. Lots of walking back to the room, but NEVER far enough to make it seem like work. It is more of a casual stroll.
    I was actually worried about this! LOL I've been working out for this trip imagine gaining it all in 4 nights.

We have always enjoyed Paparazzi as long as you know what to expect. People have been horrified... by for example: Lasagna- Oven baked lasagna with ground beef, cottage cheese and mozzarella

LOL, dh is Italian and just found a recipe for lasagna with cottage cheese he is going to try here at home. I guess don't knock it until you have tried it.

Overall we have never had any issues with the food at the Tamarijn/Divi.

If you can swing it, I highly recommend dinner one night at Windows on Aruba. It is an extra $35 pp for a three course dinner, not including beverages, but fine dining for sure in an elegant atmosphere. Even more so if you are celebrating a special occasion.
    We're open to trying everything. NY has a way of americanizing everything either way so we don't know what "real" is. :roll eyes: LOL the only thing we'll notice will most likely be the pizza but we are not picky people. We just want a nice vacation and know what the Happy Island is all about
    Last edited by bksalvadorean417; 05-30-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Great news!

bksalvadorean417, we will see you there. We booked today.
    That's great! Seems from the countdown you'll be there two days before my family and I arrive. You'll notice us. We'll be the somewhat chatty family speaking Spanish, spoiling my grandmother, with the two sisters linked at the arm and a cheerful father that laughs with everyone.

I'll have someone in the forum anticipating with me. Yay

Quote Originally Posted by bksalvadorean417 View Post
    I'll have someone in the forum anticipating with me. Yay
    Our dates are July 9-19

No need to worry about your trip to the tam. In nov we stayed @ the sister hotel next door @ the divi for 2 weeks, and we spent a lot of time @ the tam. This nov we will b staying 12days @ the tam. I liked that prop @ tad better b/c all rooms r facing the ocean and there r only 2 floors.

Tipping, I gave a few bucks a day, breakfast buffet $2 on the table and $2 to the omlet maker. Lunch I 5 and dinner $5. @ the bar I would tip a few bucks here and there. Somedays I did not tip only because I would not have cash, but I would get those people later.

I got up early and reserved a hut, I know some hate that, but many did it, and I wanted the one that was outside my room. I would c the same people doing the same everyday, but I went during the low season so people who came later always got one.

I always feel save in aruba, been there 2x for a total of 3 weeks and I rent a jeep, drive all over and stop in local shops, get lost, ask directions, never any problems. U will love it! I thought it was the best place I ever stayed, u r staying right on the beach, insane. Just go to their web site or try trip advisor and click on pictures, u will find tons of them.

In addition to my planned trip in nov, today I just booked trip number 2 in march but for only 6 days and I will b staying @ the cheapest resort, the mill, but I am excited to have 2 trips planned to the best island I ever been to!

Relax, have fun, no worries!!

Our dates are July 9-19
    I counted wrong.
    Much earlier before us.

Quote Originally Posted by mjl60621 View Post
    No need to worry about your trip to the tam.
    That gives me a great peace of mind

Tipping, I gave a few bucks a day, breakfast buffet $2 on the table and $2 to the omlet maker. Lunch I 5 and dinner $5. @ the bar I would tip a few bucks here and there.
    One thing that interest me and most people have mentioned that amount they tip, is that if the tipping for the group? Like let's say I tip $5 for one shirt, would that be for the entire family or different? Andrea J gave a good layout but I wonder how it changes since its 5 of us.

I got up early and reserved a hut, I know some hate that, but many did it.
    I'd do the same because my grandmother more than anyone would need the shade hut to rest. So if many do it, I'd have to do it too the only thing is that the complain have been from people who reserve but don't use it all day

I am excited to have 2 trips planned to the best island I ever been to! Relax, have fun, no worries!!
    Very lucky!!! Enjoy both trips :be happy: And I will. Thanks a lot!

Aruba since 1979

5 of you......all adults?

there were usually 3 or 4 of us.
    2 adults and 1 or 2 teen boys (our son and his travel buddy)

one of the things we "required" of the boys was that they participate in the tipping........using their money.

hubby and i did not use the pizza bar often, but the boys did and we required the boys to automatically tip $1 every time they used it. (their money)
    we felt it made them appreciate the housekeeper and other servers.......taught them too that they were servers, but not servants.

if there are 5 of you, i am sure that you will be able to figure out

QUOTE=Andrea J.;225863]re: your tipping question

"supposedly" tips are already included in your all inclusive package.
    that being said, it is always nice to tip additionally.
    i do not know about the shift timing..but here is how we tipped, the few times we were at the tam.
    @ the tamarijn we tipped the housekeeper daily. we left the money on the dresser or handed it directly to her. $5 or $6 per day.
    the bar tenders, we tipped directly to the bar tender in the afternoon and again late afternoon evening. usually a total of $10 - $15
    breakfast, we tipped our server (buffet breakfast) couple of $$
    lunch , we tipped the server (lunch buffet) couple of $$
    dinner, if we ate at the al'acarte we tipped the server usually $5 - 8. if we ate at the buffet, we tipped the server a couple of $$.

when we stayed at the tam, they did advertise that there were 2 queens in the rooms.
    at that point in time, those queens imo were double/full beds and not queens.

i am glad that lisa answered your other questions.[/QUOTE]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast