Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tamarijn June 17 - 29

We'll be there 6/15 - 6/20. Quick question...what should we plan as far as tipping goes? One thing I looked at said it was included; others don't mention it at all. What is 'understood' around there?

Quote Originally Posted by pmain13 View Post
    One thing I looked at said it was included; others don't mention it at all. What is 'understood' around there?
    Below are from some previous posts....also see Tipping at the Tamarijn especially

Quote Originally Posted by Cple View Post
    Hi,,,, We stay at the Tam often. It is very true, the bartenders and wait staff, will never forget you. We always give a gratuity,when we first arrive, especially the bartenders. You will never wait for a drink. If they know what you drink, and they see you walking their direction,, the drink will be on the bar waiting for you. ,,,,,, Have a great trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    This is exactly what we ended up doing. Worked greated and did get us better service, most days. Eventually we learned who the tips were useless with.

Then we found out our 11 yo. was having a REALLY tough time getting her fix of ice cream (it is NOT self serve and is behind the bar so requires the cook or one of the bartenders to get it) and virgin Miami Vices. Dh and I dragged her down to the bar first thing when they opened at 11 a.m. one morning and introduced her as our daughter along with the tip. She NEVER had difficulty getting served after that. As a matter of fact, staying in room 1313, the bartenders gave her the nickname "Lucky".
    Interesting to note I just read a review on Trip Advisor where a Brit was peaved that Americans were "thowing around money in tips" making them look "cheap".

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yes... at all inclusive where tips are already included, it is customary to add a little more. maybe $4 for a'la carte dinners, $2 buffet.

maid/housekeeper....if not at an all inclusive and if there is service every day, the tips can be something like $2 - $3 per person per day.

if at an all inclusive and tips are already supposedly included (like the tamarijn or divi) the housekeeper should get maybe a couple of dollars per day if the service is good. if service is great, tip more.

cab drivers....umm maybe 20% on regular taxi run $25% on multiple stop run 25% for a taxi sightseeing half day excursion.

bellman....$2 per large bag $10 max. (if he unpacks and puts away your stuff tip more )

this is a great topic that will have many many opinions
    Andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4 View Post
    At the divi dutch the housecleaning lady organized our room every day, lined up my make-up, fixed up a little mini-bar with our stuff and did the dishes. She cleaned spotless everyday so I left her $5 a day. She also told me they change the sheets every other day so I asked if she could just leave clean sheets for me to change and she just changed them daily. ( I hate sleeping on sandy sheets and it seems like not matter what you do there is always sand in them!) Hope I left enough! I am never quite sure myself if I am tipping enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMadhouse View Post
    When staying at an AI I tip:

$3 a day to House Keeping. More if I make any "Special Requests"
    $5 for a cab to the Airport.
    $1 each way for the Shuttle driver when they stay "on property". More if I make a "Special Request"
    $1-2 for the Breakfast and Lunch buffet, if the server is attentive.
    $5 for the Dinner Buffet, again if the server is attentive.
    The Concierge tip is dependent on how often I use thier services. I give them their tip the day that I am leaving.
    Again, look for "the kid" in my avatar and I will be close behind!

Tamarijn Waterfront Grill Red Parrot Restaurant
    We will be there June 18th - June 27th.
    Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaTeresa View Post
    We will be there June 18th - June 27th.
    Again, just look for the kid in the avatar. I'll be around...Someone who just returned yesterday sent me some photos last night. The past weeks have been extremely windy, and there has been some beach erosion but the beach is still covered in sand!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12