Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping at the Tamarijn

Tipping at the Tamarijn

I did a search here regarding tipping at the Tamarijn and came upon this old post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    However, there are always some areas open for improvements. Very unusual that in an all inclusive, tipping is widely seen, have lots of dollar bills handy.
    Question is, does anyone have any suggestions for tipping throughout the resort? Especially I need info on:
    1. Tipping at the restaurants such as Paparrazi and Red Parrot etc. for a party of 10 people. Is there just a waiter or do they have assistants also?
    2. Tip this person/people at the end of each of these meals?
    3. Do you tip at the buffet? Who?
    4. I read in another forum about an sommelier. How much would you tip?
    5. Reservations at the Red Parrot etc. are made at the concierge? If so how much do you tip?
    6. Bartenders- as you go or at the end of your trip?

Lisa, as you will observe, there are many guests the take the position 'tips are included in the AI charges.

My general guidelines:

Restaurants. Not positive (never really paid attention) on the waiter works your table. Thus we just leave the tip on the table following the meal. For excellent service, I ballpark the approximate meal price if eating off resort and tip @ 17% and scale back if less than excellent service. We have on occassion received very poor service and left $1 to make a statement.

Buffet. In the buffet you will have a waiter that will bring your beverages and clear the used dishes. I generally tip a couple dollars each meal. They do appreciate the tip remember you beverage choices for subsequent meals. During breakfast if I have a made to order (omelet, or special order eggs), I'll also tip the chef directly.

Bartenders. Most know me well from over the years however I generally tip $5 per shift. All tips are pooled and divided by the bartenders at the end of a shift. Do this and you will rarely wait for a coctail. If you want to tip a specific bartender, suggest you do so after the shift when they have exited the bar.

House keeping. We normally spreak our tipping out leaving $10 after day 1 with additional tips depending on duration. Along with the first tip we leave a note stating our prefered time of day to have the room cleaned. (rooms are cleaned between 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM) Leaving that initial tip gets your room cleaned on schedule and you may also receive fresh cut flowers.

Concierge. Most guest do not tip the concierge so if you do, it will be appreciated.

I believe you will find the vast majority of the staff to be excellent in attitude and service. If you have a problem, they'll make it right if it is possible.

Enjoy your time

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I appreciate it.

Hi Lisa,

Just returned from the Tam. We tipped everyone well on the first day and let everyone know that we would tip them again at the end of the stay rather than carry money around all trip. This worked well and the tips were appreciated by the staff. It seems that only about half of the guests at the Tam tip at all. As previously noted, make sure to tip each shift of bartenders as they split tips by the shift. Have a great time!

Dave
    See you in Aruba!!!
    Next Aruba trip in

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.
    Hi,,,, We stay at the Tam often. It is very true, the bartenders and wait staff, will never forget you. We always give a gratuity,when we first arrive, especially the bartenders. You will never wait for a drink. If they know what you drink, and they see you walking their direction,, the drink will be on the bar waiting for you. ,,,,,, Have a great trip.

So, how do you tip "per" shift? At the beginning of your day you walk to the bar, order your drink, and give him a 5 and ask how much longer he'll be around? (I've never been to an AI resort, so, I'm not sure, I just want to make sure I'm being polite and whatnot)

Quote Originally Posted by Cple View Post
    Hi,,,, We stay at the Tam often. It is very true, the bartenders and wait staff, will never forget you. We always give a gratuity,when we first arrive, especially the bartenders. You will never wait for a drink. If they know what you drink, and they see you walking their direction,, the drink will be on the bar waiting for you. ,,,,,, Have a great trip.
    This is exactly what we ended up doing. Worked greated and did get us better service, most days. Eventually we learned who the tips were useless with.

Then we found out our 11 yo. was having a REALLY tough time getting her fix of ice cream (it is NOT self serve and is behind the bar so requires the cook or one of the bartenders to get it) and virgin Miami Vices. Dh and I dragged her down to the bar first thing when they opened at 11 a.m. one morning and introduced her as our daughter along with the tip. She NEVER had difficulty getting served after that. As a matter of fact, staying in room 1313, the bartenders gave her the nickname "Lucky".

Tipping-all inclusive

We've been to Aruba quite a few times, but this year I'm going all-inclusive for the first time. What are the expected tipping procedures for this. I want to be fair, but I don't to go crazy and tip way too much.

Jerry, we stay at the Tam. What we do is tip bartenders what we do at home a couple of drinks a couple of bucks, normally maybe a couple of extra first time, then they remember you a Little more & know they get what they deserve as for service. Dinners at the resort restaurants same as at home depends on service. Room Service we go with $5.00 per day, not up front(but many first day) you should leave a note for room service, as most likely they will not take it if they are not sure it is for them .

When I goto an all inclusive, I usually take care of the people that will in fact that take care of me. All people that should get tipped do, but others I usually give more too. Right away I tip the bartender, usually a big tip, (just make sure that they will be there for most or all of your stay). When i make that tip, i am sure that my wife and Kids are with me, so that the person sees who we are. I did this at one resort, and for entire week no matter how many people were at the bar, the bartender stopped and gave me my drinks, which he remembered from the first time. I would then tip once in a while throughout the stay.

The other person is the housekeeper. I try to physicaly see them and hand them a tip. At another resort, my room was not scheduled to be cleaned until about 1:30 in the afternoon, this was hard for me, traveling with 2 young children, and that is when we normally hung out in the room to relax a little. A tip the 2nd day, got our room cleaned first the rest of the trip.

I personally overtip, but only if warranted. Bad service = bad tip. I do not expect to be treated like a king, but the job should be done correctly. A job done correctly is all I ask. When the person goes over and above, then they should be rewarded for that!
    Decided to take down my timer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast