Aruba Beach

Thread: Westin?

Westin?

We are traveling with kids (9 and 12) and are just about set on the Westin. Seems to be a mid range hotel.... Not as expensive as the Hyatt but better than the Holiday Inn... Price seems OK - pricey but not crazy. Is this assessment correct? Should we do AI or not? I would like dining to be easy... but don't want to be limited to hotel restaurants in case we don't like them. We will be there in February so we know it will be expensive, but we have to go when the kids are not in school. TIA

Have you also considered the Radisson? It will be a bit more money, but imo, a bit better beach and much nicer pool area. Also a bit closer walking distance to many of the restaurants on Palm Beach.

Aruba since 1979
    when traveling with our son and his friend when they were young........we usually tried to do all inclusive when we were not at our timeshare.

the all inclusive meant no financial surprises!!!!

how many times do we as parents have to hear.........I am starving or can i have $3 for a coke?

in your situation with the kids all inclusive is probably the best way to go.

enjoy your time and since you are the "griswolds" are you planning a summer road trip vacation or a christmas lighting extravaganza?

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold Family Vacay View Post
    We are traveling with kids (9 and 12) and are just about set on the Westin. Seems to be a mid range hotel.... Not as expensive as the Hyatt but better than the Holiday Inn... Price seems OK - pricey but not crazy. Is this assessment correct? Should we do AI or not? I would like dining to be easy... but don't want to be limited to hotel restaurants in case we don't like them. We will be there in February so we know it will be expensive, but we have to go when the kids are not in school. TIA

I have stayed at the Westin for the past two years gone AI and it was absolutely wonderful. We still had a few dinners out and also lunch in town. We have bought a time share at the Marriott now but if we didn't we would have gone back to the Westin. AI is great as Andrea said no surprises.

I stayed at the Radisson this past summer. It was my first visit to Aruba, so I was not really prepared for the food costs. Was not that bad, but I still did not know what "really" to expect. We are staying at the Occidental next summer in an Ocean Front Timeshare Unit. We will be doing the AI at the Occidental. The food in Aruba is good, but IMO it is no better than what I get at home. I am not going to Aruba for the food, so the AI will be fine for me.

Last trip, we drank water with all meals, I am a diet coke junkie, but I could not see spending that much on a cup of soda. And the kids also drank water.

After some calculations it will cost a few bucks more per day for the AI option. That means all the soda that I want, all the frozen drinks for the wife, and as many virgin frozens for the kids.

We do not expect 5 star dining with an AI, so we will be fine.

AI is a good option in my opinion!
    Decided to take down my timer!

On the beach with my bubba mug filled with Margarita or Balashi
    Hey Griswolds!!!
    We've been to Aruba twice with our kids and are going back for the third time. Each time we've gone we've stayed at the all inclusive hotels..first holiday inn, then occidental, next stop riu. Each time we've also gone to restaurants off the resort once or twice during our stay. What I like about the AI is the convenience. For instance, one child is hungry when the other isnt. Also, getting drinks is easier at an AI with kids. What I find is they knock them over by accident, or they don't drink them fast enough and the drinks get warm. Also buying alcholic drinks can add up pretty fast if you and your wife enjoy coctails on the beach, dinner etc. What we do is bring Bubba Mugs with us on every AI vacation (one for each of us) and fill them up at the bar. Juice or pop for the kids and frozen alcoholic drinks for the adults. The drinks stay cold longer and no sand gets in them.
    Hope this helps.
    Enjoy your trip!

The beach at Andicuri, Beach Bar at the Westin, Sopranos Piano Bar, Downtown Shopping
    Hi
    My wife and I have been staying at that property for years, started when it was the Wyndam. I think your making a good choice. Have a blast!!!
    Duece