Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Westin Aruba is CLOSING on February 27, 2014

I am one of those people with a reservation at the Westin. We are scheduled to arrive March 1st, 2 days after it closes. I still have not been informed where my new reservation will be, but I did finally get somebody to call me after posting something on the Starwood resorts Facebook page. They are very sensitive to pressure on social media sites. I also got a response from a Starwood social media employee after posting on flyertalk.com.

They did tell me, by the way, that the property will be converted into a sister all inclusive property to the existing RIU resort.

I hope to have news soon. They guarantee a new reservation by Feb 4. We leave in 5 weeks, which leaves us only 3 weeks to make new plans if we don't like Starwood's alternative. We are also sitting on $1400+ of non refundable USAirways tickets. Feeling a little anxious......

Aruba since 1979
    hi edavid
    sorry to hear of your dilemma
    please keep us posted
    i hope that wherever starwood assigns you and yours is wonderful.

anyway, welcome to the aruba.com community forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Edavid14 View Post
    I am one of those people with a reservation at the Westin. We are scheduled to arrive March 1st, 2 days after it closes. I still have not been informed where my new reservation will be, but I did finally get somebody to call me after posting something on the Starwood resorts Facebook page. They are very sensitive to pressure on social media sites. I also got a response from a Starwood social media employee after posting on flyertalk.com.

They did tell me, by the way, that the property will be converted into a sister all inclusive property to the existing RIU resort.

I hope to have news soon. They guarantee a new reservation by Feb 4. We leave in 5 weeks, which leaves us only 3 weeks to make new plans if we don't like Starwood's alternative. We are also sitting on $1400+ of non refundable USAirways tickets. Feeling a little anxious......

Hi

my wife and I just had a quick stay at the Westin. It is not the Westin it once was. The young lady who checked us in was "lifeless" and very despondent. I asked her about the closing. She told me that some staff were going back to the Netherlands and others were out of work. The room was not as well maintained as previously. The carpet had debris on it. There was no room fridge. The phones were faulty and started ringing in the night by themselves. ( The maint man told me this happens a lot due to the humidity) we got locked out of the room due to a faulty door lock system.

How sad.

Previous stays trays were not like this. I guess with the upcoming closing, there is a lack of commitment on the part of staff who will lose their jobs

john

First, I'd like to thank the person who posted the info on the Westin closing. If we hadn't seen it on this site we wouldn't have known. We too had a vacation planned there in March. After reading your post, we contacted Expedia who in turn called the Westin. Their response was that the new owners would be in touch next month to let us know where we're staying. That was too much of a risk. We asked Expedia to move us to another hotel. We did not have trip insurance so they escalated it to a supervisor & we rebooked @ the Divi @ an addtl cost of $600. I was not going to roll the dice with the new owners. I then contacted Westin customer service on their website & asked why we had not been contacted of the closure. Their response was "When a Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide property is leaving Starwood, we will contact you personally with the information, should it affect your journey.". Apparently, she didn't read my email. She did provide a customer survey which I filled out to show them how I really felt. They also provided another email address for customer service. I emailed them & have not heard back. My next move is their facebook page. I understand that hotels are sold but they should've told their customers so we could make other arrangements.

The beach at Andicuri, Beach Bar at the Westin, Sopranos Piano Bar, Downtown Shopping
    I am also sitting here with my fingers crossed!

As a follow on, I did receive an email from the General Manager of The Westin in Arubat who is following up. Will keep posting updates. Also, he sent along his personal email address if others are worried about their situations

Aruba since 1979
    i wonder about the brides/grooms that have their wedding planned at the "westin" property?
    i wonder too, will the displaced westin guests be moved to the riu? wil they be required to participate in the all inclusive? that would be a huge added expense if the riu did not pick up the tab on that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i wonder about the brides/grooms that have their wedding planned at the "westin" property?
    i wonder too, will the displaced westin guests be moved to the riu? wil they be required to participate in the all inclusive? that would be a huge added expense if the riu did not pick up the tab on that part.

I don't know about the wedding issue, but I received an email from my new customer service contact early this morning. She said she hoped to have my new hotel for me either today or tomorrow (Monday/Tuesday). She also said "my hope would be that your reservation will be moved to the Rui which is right next door to the Westin however I can’t confirm at this time." My question to those that are more knowledgeable than me...

I know the RIU is an all inclusive. Do they also offer a non AI option? Starwood has guaranteed alternate reservations AT NO ADDITIONAL EXPENSE TO ME. I'm wondering if we might get meals and drinks at no cost as "compensation for our troubles". That would be a smart move by the RIU to try to earn the loyalty of frequent Caribbean travelers. My loyalty can be bought!!!

any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Edavid14 View Post
    I know the RIU is an all inclusive. Do they also offer a non AI option? Starwood has guaranteed alternate reservations AT NO ADDITIONAL EXPENSE TO ME. I'm wondering if we might get meals and drinks at no cost as "compensation for our troubles". That would be a smart move by the RIU to try to earn the loyalty of frequent Caribbean travelers. My loyalty can be bought!!!

any thoughts?
    Sounds like a great plan to me! Hope it works for you - positive thinking!!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

The RIU is booked...we already looked on their website.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast