Aruba Beach

Thread: Beware of This Hot Vacation Rental Scam

Beware of This Hot Vacation Rental Scam

Beware of This Hot Vacation Rental Scam
    Documented scam involving VRBO for which they are not taking responsibility or are able to explain.

Not sure where this belongs if the mods feel this is appropriate for another category.

Aruba since 1979
    ya let's leave it here and i will copy it to the timeshare and apartment and villa sections too.

Clark Howard is a HERO.

A friend of mine was all set to rent a NY mountain getaway through VRBO. Emailed the alleged owner several times and agreed to rent. She became suspicious when he asked her to wire transfer money to England. She started looking more closely at the pictures of the unit and noticed a number on one. Turns out it was an MLS number, and the house was for sale. She contacted the realtor who said that the house was most certainly not for rent and the owners had no connection to England. Apparently the scammer took the pictures off the MLS site and then attempted to rent the property. The scary part is that it was so easy to do! My friend called VRBO and they removed the posting, but didn't seem overly concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalks View Post
    The scary part is that it was so easy to do! My friend called VRBO and they removed the posting, but didn't seem overly concerned.

That IS concerning and the same angst of the consumer reporter who wrote the article in my original post. He too was concerned that VRBO is not taking this situation more seriously.