Aruba Beach
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By Jacki
  • 1 Post By robin
  • 1 Post By hvy747
  • 1 Post By Jacki

Thread: If I was looking to buy a timeshare..

If I was looking to buy a timeshare..

If I was looking to buy a timeshare, which resort would I look at and why ?? What about leaving it to off spring. Something I been thinking about doing.

thanx
    Charlie

Aruba since 1979
    there are lots to consider:

is the timeshare deeded for perpetuity so that you can pass it on to your heirs ? can your heirs afford it?

our timeshares for example come to $7500 annual maintenance fees .
    our fees have clmbed thru the years and now that we are retired, it is a struggle for us to cover that bill.... so we have to get them all rented and wind up renting a place when we go to aruba

yes ours is able to be passed on to our heir....but do heirs want to be saddled with a high fee? we asked him and he said HELL NO.

is the timeshare managed by a board of directors elected by the owners? you do want a board of directors of owners!!

is the timeshare owned for perpetuity or is it a right to use deed? (right to use example: Divi Golf, Divi village, new contracts of Divi Phoenix and perpetuity deed are places like Lacabana, Costa Linda, and some others) I am unclear where Marriott Surf and Ocean category...right to use? Deeded?
    Some places (like Renaissance Ocean Suites) are deeded thru perpetuity BUT are not managed by owners and are managed by the corporation.

IMO, the most desirable are the ones that are deeded and not only right to use. that is MY opinion.

QUOTE=hvy747;319248]If I was looking to buy a timeshare, which resort would I look at and why ?? What about leaving it to off spring. Something I been thinking about doing.

thanx
    Charlie[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 07-07-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Wow! Great information right there!

ETA: The other thing to think about is cost. Is it worth it to buy? What are you paying now to rent a place vs the maintenance fees you will have to pay. How long will it take you to break even?

And does the resort offer banking or trading or do you have to spend more money in a membership to RCI or II.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Here are my recommendations:
    - Select a resort that you LOVE to stay it. (Your annual costs for your timeshare will be less on years when you don't exchange/trade it)
    - Buy a timeshare on the re-sale market (from an owner or timeshare realtor). This will save you LOTS of money vs buying direct from the resort.
    - If you plan to buy a 2BR timeshare, try to buy one that allows you to "lock off" one of the bedrooms. This equates to more vacations for you because you can convert/split a 2BR condo into two "1-bedroom" vacations. This option provides great flexibility and value for owners. In fact, they were of such great value for the owner (vs resort management company) that the lock-off option has been eliminated from most new construction. You typically need to find a resort built between 1990-2009 to find units with a lock-off feature.
    - If you have flexibility with your travel schedule, owning a timeshare unit/week is a better investment than purchasing "vacation club points". Units carry better value for re-sale and are not subject to inflation. (with timeshare vacation club points, resorts have the option to raise the value of points required to acquire units, and then try to sell you "more points" in the future.)
    - Pay close attention to the annual dues structure and how it is used. Low annual dues is not good as that means little money is used for resort improvement projects. High annual dues is not good either as it makes it difficult to justify/afford as an annual fee.
    - Rent or stay at a resort before you buy so you can experience the property. If you are truly interested in timeshares, all resorts offer "preview Packages" which allow you to stay at the resort for 3-5 days at reduced rates. Attending the required presentations are informative to you as a potential buyer (great place to gather information). My husband and I traveled on "preview packages" to various resorts for ~ 5 years before we ever decided to purchase our first timeshare and it is a fabulous way to get discounted vacations while collecting information.

Look for a resort you are going to enjoy, not your offspring. For all you know, they'll just sell it off for the cash. I say that because some resorts are geared to an older crowd while others are geared for a younger crowd.

If you're interested in a nice quiet timeshare in a prime location on Eagle Beach, check this out. Paradise Beach Villas - For Sale

Talk to people who own where you would like to buy. Decide if you want a fixed or flexible week. Do you want to trade and go else where? Which trading company do they fall under and how would your timeshare do in a trade? What I mean is, you don't want to buy a winter week in let's say, Myrtle Beach and expect to trade it for Christmas week in Aruba. Nor would you want to buy at a low end resort and expect to get into a high end resort. Do your research. You can get some great resale deals. We bought one directly from Marriott, but quickly learned to buy resale-you can get some very inexpensively.

Thank you Andrea J, Jacki, SkiChris, Andy M, and Robin for all the information you all have given. I'll have to sit down and figure out what I want to do, so much to consider. Again "thank you" all for your knowledge on this topic.

Charlie

For what it's worth, I've always looked at timeshare and inquired about pricing, etc. I knew the private resale prices quite well and knew where I wanted to be. When I saw a post on Facebook for a GREAT price I was able to snatch it up quickly. Do your research and let the universe put it in your lap!
    Last edited by Jacki; 07-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Hi Charlie!
    I have read the thread and all comments - a lot of good things to consider.
    Some people consider maintenance fees too high, but our place has been completely remodeled three times and stays beautiful.
    Also, if you are traveling with another couple or two, or children, it is extremely reasonable. The place is very spacious.
    We have owned our place since pre-construction - May of 1998.
    We have loved it and were fortunate to have gone every year except once about ten years ago.
    This year I have put it up for rent because of some family obligations (see below - I copied it for you).
    Yesterday, unfortunately, we learned we will most likely not be going back due to health issues and now are thinking of selling.
    We truly have nothing bad to say about Marriott - they keep it up beautifully and are very accommodating.
    Two important things that sold us on it were-
    1) You don't have to go a certain week every year - you can go from mid-April through mid-December (Gold Season).
    2) The fact you can lock-off and get two weeks use for one maintenance fee. (Nominal lock-off fee, like $75, I believe).
    We often stay in the small half first week (which is bigger than most any hotel room - with gorgeous ocean front balcony).
    Then we stay in big half second week.
    Some years we would use the whole place for one week if we brought others along. Very comfortable with six adults.
    We have also rented a few nights using points if we want to stay longer.
    Can't say enough about the island and the local people - it's what makes the vacation. We have so many friends there
    Take care,
    Susan~

Marriott - Aruba Ocean Club
    Ocean FRONT (only 12 such units at this resort) Gorgeous!
    Two bed - Two bath - Two balcony
    1200 sq. feet - Sleeps 8 max
    full kitchen - soaking tub - free internet - three televisions -
    elegant furnishings - open floor plan - free laundry on each floor
    Due to last minute family obligations we cannot go this year
    Need to rent - $1900 - just our yearly maintenance fee.
    Taxes of approx $20 per day and environmental fee of $25 per stay is due to resort at check-in.
    Send me your email if you are interested!