Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ltdpt

Thread: Need help with Timeshare question

Need help with Timeshare question

We own at the Divi Phoenix, this past March was our 14th year there. This year we had a major problem with mold in the room and the fact that it took 4 days and many trips to the front desk before that problem was addressed. That was just one of many problems with our room. When we got home we got our yearly "maintenance fee" bill for the year with a note saying that for 2014 we were also being charged a "one time" additional fee of $349.00 to upgrade the units. Isn't that what our yearly maintenance fee is for? Has anyone else ever had a charge like this on a timeshare? We feel that since we already pay close to $800.00 a year now that this is outragous.

Aruba since 1979
    yes we have been hit by "special assessments" over the years.

divi properties are a little different than "owned timeshare" . divi is a "right to use" and the deeds are
    "right to use" for X number of uses.

"owned/deeded timeshare" are deeded to perpetuity. (lacabana, bluegreen, ABC, CDM, Costa Linda, Playa Linda, Paradise Beach, La QUinta, Renaissance)

owned timeshare usually/sometimes has a board of directors/governors (other owners) that the owners elect.

right to use timeshare like the divi properties......are governed by the corporation that owns them, with little or no input from the users.

20%+ of the annual maintenance fee should be earmarked for the account that is for renovations and repairs.

was the divi phoenix another timeshare years ago? taken over by divi in 1999 or so? i vaguely remember that it might have had a different name years ago.

the fee that you have been charged is very common.

Quote Originally Posted by ltdpt View Post
    We own at the Divi Phoenix, this past March was our 14th year there. This year we had a major problem with mold in the room and the fact that it took 4 days and many trips to the front desk before that problem was addressed. That was just one of many problems with our room. When we got home we got our yearly "maintenance fee" bill for the year with a note saying that for 2014 we were also being charged a "one time" additional fee of $349.00 to upgrade the units. Isn't that what our yearly maintenance fee is for? Has anyone else ever had a charge like this on a timeshare? We feel that since we already pay close to $800.00 a year now that this is outragous.

I own 3 units at Divi Village, 2 in the old building in front and one in the villas in the back(not the golf villas, the first ones built after the tall buildings)...anyway, the past 2 years ('11, '12) they charged us an upgrade fee (I think it was 150-200 for the studio and 350 for the 2bdr)I can not quite remember but know I was not happy about it. They sent a note with the initial bill stating why it was being charged and that if we didn't want to pay it they would give us $1000.00 for the unit and take it back.....crappy offer, but if you couldn't afford to keep up with the fees you would end up loosing it anyway.....they also gave us a "free" week for both units for both years we just have to pay the maintenance fees on them.......
    So, I guess now you are in the same situation that we were in the last 2 years. They did do a nice job remodeling the units even though I agree with you that we should not have to pay for it since.....#1-we don't really even own them and #2 they up the maintenance fees every year .....so what are they doing with the money ????? GETTING RICHER......
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Thanks for answers, it's hard to swallow when it seems all the money looks like it's being poured into the new 4 towers and the pools, ect. On the "new" section. Andrea, thank you for clarifying the difference in owned and basically renting for 40 yearsl
    It was an impulse buy many years ago, we did'nt do our homework before buying, but, at least we still get to go to our favorite island for 40 visitsl