Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: what is benefit to owning time share?

A few other things to consider...
    We own 3 weeks at Divi Village...one is an old old contract where we do not have to pay the maintenance fee if we do not use the week. It remains in my bank of "right to use" weeks until the last year of ownership. In other words we own for 40 years and if I choose I can wait until the last year to use all 40 weeks, assuming there is availability and I have the money to pay for 40 weeks.....
    I also own a float week in gold season which means I can place it anywhere from the 18th week of the year to the 50th week of the year without being charged a change fee
    I also own a stationary week which is week 46 and falls the week before Thanksgiving every year.
    All require the maintenance fee to be paid to use it and I have to pay the energy fees and gov't taxes at the end of my stay.
    When Divi does a remodel they make you pay and extra amount for 2 years (about 200-250)then the maintenance fee goes back down.
    There is a lot to learn, but if you enjoy vacationing and KNOW you will use the TS every year, or have the ability to rent it out if you don't then IMO it is worth every penny. When Dh and I first bought it was after having gone to a few of the TS offerings in Orlando, so we knew what to expect and knew what we were getting into.
    If I had to do it over again I most certainly would....and here are the reasons why.....1. I know I have a weeks (or more) vacation coming up in what ever month and plan accordingly. My family knows we go at this time and can either come or not,,,,but, I am going come hell or high water...So it takes the ....where shall we go, when shall we go and with who shall we go..out of the equation.
    2. You know that you will have at least one week a year to get away and relax/ de-stress and party your arse off !!!!! Yay !!!!
    3. Once you get used to your resorts policies it is easy to trade for say a week in Hawaii or Australia or where ever .......
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

thanks to you all for your responses. is a bit confusing and I can see it getting expensive if resort wants to do some upgrades. I'm just trying to figure out if it would just be easier to watch these forums and rent from one of you. I can't remember the post but someone had a unit at the renaissance for 1200 for the week. that would be less costly than every one of our previous trips. we stayed at the renaissance our first trip and loved the private island and the facility. our other trip we stayed at some condos across the street from eagle beach. condo was nice enough but we had to haul our own chairs etc... and it was a bit of a pain. I've looked into staying more north, where all the resorts are just so we can easily walk to where we want to eat. the only thing I know for sure, I want, no wait, need to get back to aruba.

thanks again to you all

todd

ps...was my first post but I've been lurking on here for quite a while, enjoy all of your posts.

Aruba since 1979
    yup you certainly can get a rental in the $1000 +/- range depending on the season.
    also too check out red week.com

look too into joining interval international ...as a member you can obtain "getaways"
    at timeshare places
    recently:
    renaissance in certain weeks october........$950 for the week (plus tax)
    lacabana certain weeks october......$800 for the week (plus tax)

l
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyetodd View Post
    thanks to you all for your responses. is a bit confusing and I can see it getting expensive if resort wants to do some upgrades. I'm just trying to figure out if it would just be easier to watch these forums and rent from one of you. I can't remember the post but someone had a unit at the renaissance for 1200 for the week. that would be less costly than every one of our previous trips. we stayed at the renaissance our first trip and loved the private island and the facility. our other trip we stayed at some condos across the street from eagle beach. condo was nice enough but we had to haul our own chairs etc... and it was a bit of a pain. I've looked into staying more north, where all the resorts are just so we can easily walk to where we want to eat. the only thing I know for sure, I want, no wait, need to get back to aruba.

thanks again to you all

todd

ps...was my first post but I've been lurking on here for quite a while, enjoy all of your posts.

Just as an FYI--if you travel in the off season you can get a deal on buying a unit. I just paid $1000 for an oceanfront end unit at the Renaissance through a private owner. Even with maintenance fees at about $750 (for end unit), we still vacation cheaper than renting. I do agree that if you are buying a unit with high yearly maintenance fees it may not be worth the investment. We own three weeks at the Renaissance and two weeks at a resort an hour from our home that we've never stayed at--we just use it to trade, and maintenance fees are cheap. We have traded those units for extra weeks at the Renaissance, for Marriott's and Sheraton's in Florida and Myrtle Beach in April, for St. Marteen, etc. I only trade for gold resorts through Interval International and usually luck out in getting my request. We have always bought resale below what the resorts typically sell for, and have never regretted owning. It has afforded us an opportunity to stay in much more comfortable lodgings than can be had at a hotel, and the savings on eating breakfast and sometimes lunch in are considerable. I will advise you that if you buy a one bedroom and want to trade, Interval will only let you put in a request for a one bedroom. If you do a search and a two bedroom is available, you can grab it, but requests are for only "like" units. With II's new program you can pay a few and "retrade" up to three times. I did that last April when I put in an Orlando request and was confirmed for a one bedroom. I kept checking and when a two bedroom came up I "retraded" for that.

We went to Aruba the first time on a trade and have been hooked ever since! We love the Renaissance--the private island, the friendly staff, the access to great restaurants downtown.

moneytalks,

Great deal you got, what week were you able to purchase at the Renaissance? We picked up week 48 last year and hoping to find one at week 49 first floor in the future.

Dave
    Dave From Boston

http://

Hi Todd,

Just to add my .02 on why I bought a TS, the answer in my mind had to do with the amount of money saved and the convenience of picking most any week I want. I know you asked about the Renaissance but my purchase wasat the Surf club for the following reasons.

A Platinum TS at the Marriott surf club set me back $9000 on the used market. This gives me 1 week inthe 1 bedroom villa and 1 week in the smaller guest room after paying an annual maintenance fee of $1600. A platinum can be reserved from the months of Jan-April which is when I wanted to go.

So my math worked like this... If I rent a week from someone during these months, the cheapest I can find for rent is approx $1300/wk for the guest roomand $2000/wk for the villa. (And these may not be the weeks I want to go) Typicallythe weeks cost more.

Assuming I find weeks this cheap every year and pay $3300 tosomeone to rent them, after 10 years I am out $33,000. (I go 2 weeks per year)

Since I bought at the Surf Club, in 10 years, I am out$25,000 (depending on the maintenance fees). ($1600/yr + $9000 purchase price) Also, it gets more cost effective if you decide after 10 years, Aruba is not fun anymore, you can trade your weeks via Interval International, or just sell it. If you look at the history of the Surf club, the resale value drops initially from the new purchase price, then slows down. If I sell it in 10 years for even $5000, I am still $13,000 to the plus side, which should pay for 20 trips or more to Aruba at today's airfares.

Or... another way to look at is, rent the 1 bedroom villa for$2000/wk; use your guest room for yourself, take the $400 profit and buy your meals in Aruba and use your frequent flier miles to fly to Aruba and get a free vacation every year.
    Last edited by Travelinman; 10-22-2014 at 09:03 AM.

travelinman, i see your point on the savings over a long period of time.

not sure if this information is available, but i would like to know what the maintenance fees are at the various places that have timeshares.

i would also be interested in a "ball park" number as to what a unit would cost on the resale market at the different places.

for example, say i found a ts for sale at the renaissance, what should i expect to pay for the unit and then annually after the purchase?

thanks again to all of you for your responses.

todd

The best resources for asking price/ selling price is www.tug2.com and www.redweek.com They also list maintenance fees in the listings...

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Depend on week you buy, high or low season. Maint. Fee $ 664.00 annually. You don't pay maintain fee you don't get your room to stay in.
    end units facing ocean are bigger and you can expect more for those.
    high week = 51-15 week
    low season 16-50 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyetodd View Post
    travelinman, i see your point on the savings over a long period of time.

not sure if this information is available, but i would like to know what the maintenance fees are at the various places that have timeshares.

i would also be interested in a "ball park" number as to what a unit would cost on the resale market at the different places.

for example, say i found a ts for sale at the renaissance, what should i expect to pay for the unit and then annually after the purchase?

thanks again to all of you for your responses.

todd
    Last edited by cindyo; 10-21-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Dave, I bought week 31,which is first full week in August. I already own 29 and 30, so it worked out well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast