Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Would like to buy a time share; need opinions

My husband and I own 2 timeshares and LOVE them! We own a 2BR/2Bath timeshare at the Marriott Surf Club and we own another 2BR/2BA timeshare at a ski resort in Lake Tahoe, California (slopeside at Heavenly). Both our timeshares offer the ability to "split" them into two units and this provides a great opportunity to take 2 trips vs 1 with the same timeshare. Both our timeshare properties have exchange memberships with Interval International which provides great opportunities to exchange with other great properties and Interval offers 2 for 1 trading (known as the XYZ option) so we literally have turned 2 timeshares into 6 trips in one season - there is tremendous value in that. I agree with many of the comments I've seen mentioned above so I'll just provide a quick list of my tips for finding value in a timeshare:
    - Buy on the Resale Market (just be sure to find a reputable agency/broker and make sure they work with an external agency for the closing)
    - Buy a timeshare, not a vacation club program (point programs add travel flexibility but offer far less value for your dollar)
    - Buy at least a 2BR/2BA condo that can be split into two separate units (also known as "lock-offs). These are only offered on the re-sale market now because Timeshare companies realized how valuable they were, therefore, they don't offer them any longer.
    - When you pick your home resort..be sure to buy at a location/property that you will return to more than once (this saves money on exchange fees)
    - Pick a Timeshare Property that works with Interval International (the opportunity to exchange is far better with Interval vs RCI's program)
    - BE SURE to do research on the property and find out the schedule for when they refurbish the units and replace the furniture (a good property management company will have a published schedule for this). Be very weary of any timeshare property with annual maintenance fees for <$900/year for a 2 bedroom unit. If the dues are less than that, I guarantee you the property will not be well maintained.
    - You need to be flexible with your travel dates (if you have children and can only travel during major school holidays than timeshare ownership may not be a good value for you)
    - You need to be a long range planner. In order to get great exchanges at other vacation destinations, you need to be able to put requests in the system at least 6 months (preferably a year) in advance. If you normally make short-term decisions on when to vacation, then timeshare ownership may not be a good value for you).
    - If you don't plan to use your timeshare for any given year, bank the time with your exchange company or RENT it (capture that value - it is an absolute waste to not capture the value of an unused timeshare week).
    - ARUBA is a GREAT place to own a timeshare. The annual maintenance dues are high, but it always trades well at Internal / RCI due to high demand. Additionally, every week in Aruba has the same temperature so you never have to worry about which time of year you travel because the weather never changes.

We purchased in 2000. We bank our weeks. but we bought in Florida,and NV .. we have traveled all over and now our kids are in their 30's .. they have been using our points every year. we go anytime we want. it is a great investment for us. I love Aruba but I can not afford to go every year, so we go every three years or so. TS owning is different for everyone and I would suggest very strongly to look at the Deeds of the TS very carefully. we own ours (deeded) out right, we have friends who invested in an Aruba Divi TS and it will end in 15 years. So be careful.
    Betty
    Next Trip in

Buying timeshare

We have found that purchasing a time share is the only way to insure of being at the resort of choice when you want to be there.
    Another benefit is that you get to meet the same folks each year and develop relationships with them as they own the same time
    period as you. You need to determine if you want to purchase at a resort that is large (and crowded) or small to mid size that
    has the advantage of being more personable. We prefer a midrise that makes it easy to develop the relationships I referred
    to earlier. WE love Paradise Beach Villas ("PBV") for that reason. GOOD LUCK

ps. I am currently selling a wk 3, garden view at PBV due to purchasing a different unit @ PBV

I wanted to follow up to reply to the comment about deeded property in Aruba. There are 2 types of land in Aruba: deeded land and lease land (also known as RTU or "right to use"). Lease land is owned by the Land of Aruba and the lease is for 60 years. After the 60 years, the lease period will automatically be extended with another 60 years. The majority of Lease land is in the Palm Beach area so almost all of the timeshares are on lease land. When you purchase a timeshare, you get a right-to-use (RTU) document vs a property deed . All owners in that resort will have the same type of deed. This is also the type of deed that all home owners on the north end of Aruba have - so it is common for the area. Do your research - but don't let that stop you from considering ownership of a timeshare on lease land. So in response to the comment above, I don't believe the Timeshare ownership at the resort specified will end in 15 years, I just think that is the date the lease goes up for renewal. The only thing to be aware of if a lease renewal date will ocur during your time of ownership is that there will usually be an increase in maintenance fees after the renewal date - due to an increase in the lease fee which typically occurs with land lease renewals.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    I wanted to follow up to reply to the comment about deeded property in Aruba. There are 2 types of land in Aruba: deeded land and lease land (also known as RTU or "right to use"). Lease land is owned by the Land of Aruba and the lease is for 60 years. After the 60 years, the lease period will automatically be extended with another 60 years. The majority of Lease land is in the Palm Beach area so almost all of the timeshares are on lease land. When you purchase a timeshare, you get a right-to-use (RTU) document vs a property deed . All owners in that resort will have the same type of deed. This is also the type of deed that all home owners on the north end of Aruba have - so it is common for the area. Do your research - but don't let that stop you from considering ownership of a timeshare on lease land. So in response to the comment above, I don't believe the Timeshare ownership at the resort specified will end in 15 years, I just think that is the date the lease goes up for renewal. The only thing to be aware of if a lease renewal date will ocur during your time of ownership is that there will usually be an increase in maintenance fees after the renewal date - due to an increase in the lease fee which typically occurs with land lease renewals.
    thanks for for this explanation.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Aruba since 1979
    my understanding re: timeshares

there are deeded timeshares, such as lacabana, renaissance ocean suites, costa linda, playa linda, paradise beach villas, casa del mar, aruba beach club …and there may be more. those units are deeded to the timeshare owner and the owner and can pass them on to their heirs. these timeshares may or may not be on deeded land or leased land. the land leases can go for 60 years. most if not all are on leased land. the timeshare owner's deed will state whether the land is "lease land or property land."

there are "right to use" timeshares…such as some/most of the Divi timeshare properties Dutch, Village, Golf Village unsure about the Phoenix.
    those contracts for "right to use" are sold to members/users for X amount of uses. those uses from my understanding can be used over X amount of years. 30 uses is what comes to mind. it is my understanding that those timeshares are on leased land.

i am unsure what Marriott Surf and Ocean are.

chris is correct re: the 60 yrs and the automatic renewal. the land leases state 60 yrs, with an option for 60 more.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    I wanted to follow up to reply the comment about deeded property in Aruba. There are 2 types of land in Aruba: deeded land and lease land (also known as RTU or "right to use"). Lease land is owned by the Land of Aruba and the lease is for 60 yeaer the 60 years, the lease period will automatically be extended with another 60 years. The majority of Lease land is in the Palm Beach area so almost all of the timeshares are on lease land. When you purchase a timeshare, you get a right-to-use (RTU) document vs a property deed . All owners in that resort will have the same type of deed. This is also the type of deed that all home owners on the north end of Aruba have - so it is common for the area. Do your research - but don't let that stop you from considering ownership of a timeshare on lease land. So in response to the comment above, I don't believe the Timeshare ownership at the resort specified will end in 15 years, I just think that is the date the lease goes up for renewal. The only thing to be aware of if a lease renewal date will ocur during your time of ownership is that there will usually be an increase in maintenance fees after the renewal date - due to an increase in the lease fee which typically occurs with land lease renewals.

Wow, so much to consider.

Can anyone clarify "lock-off"?

Thanks everyone!!

Aruba since 1979
    a lock off at LaCabana is
    one connecting 1 bedroom and a studio unit.
    each unit can be used individually or as a combo.

each unit has a separate entry

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Wow, so much to consider.

Can anyone clarify "lock-off"?

Thanks everyone!!

Thank you Andrea. I'm jealous of your approaching departure!! I've got 30 days to go, which I hope go quickly for me, slowly for you once you get there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123