Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is it usual to be required pay a cash securit deposit when renting a condo in Aruba?

Is it usual to be required pay a cash securit deposit when renting a condo in Aruba?

I'm required to do this for my upcoming stay.

Aruba since 1979
    Yes cash or local aruba bank certified check or I have even seen PayPal used.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    yes, that is usual. they all ask for a security deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Yes cash or local aruba bank certified check or I have even seen PayPal used.
    I paid for the condo I am staying in using a credit card. In the lease agreement I signed, I have to pay a $300 (cash only) security deposit, while in Aruba, before I get the keys. After inspection, when I leave, I am to get my deposit back by check in the mail; within 10 days.

Why don't they give you the option to put the security deposit on a credit card?

Aruba since 1979
    That would be a good question for the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    I paid for the condo I am staying in using a credit card. In the lease agreement I signed, I have to pay a $300 (cash only) security deposit, while in Aruba, before I get the keys. After inspection, when I leave, I am to get my deposit back by check in the mail; within 10 days.

Why don't they give you the option to put the security deposit on a credit card?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    That would be a good question for the owner.
    I plan on asking the owner that question when I see her in Aruba.

Taking an educated guess, I think that by paying cash, this gives the owners an upper hand in the event of a dispute. If the tenants wrecked the place and the owner wanted to keep the security deposit, the tenant can dispute it with the credit card company. In that case, the burden of proof would be on the landlord.

Also taking payment and refunding it costs the vendor.(in this case the landlord) I own a store so I know about merchant credit card fees.

The bad thing for an honest or respectful tenant is the fact that it would be practically impossible to get your money back, even more so internationally, if the landlord were dishonest.

Aruba since 1979
    Well I am with the belief that most people are good.
    Maybe a little "Pollyanna -like" but it is my belief nonetheless.

Will u do a walk thru and take photos before and after occupancy?

Many of our forum members including me, have rented, given a security deposit and have had that deposit returned.

Your upcoming trip is for only 5 nights? What did u rent for 5 nights? A condo right?
    Typically timeshare owners do not require security deposits.

re
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 08-09-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    You obviously knew the answer to your own question as to why no security deposit on a credit card

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I've never had a problem getting my security deposit back. I've rented from three different people now. the last one I rented from, we rented again this time and he no longer asks for a deposit. but I've always gotten my deposit back within a week from returning home.

Aruba since 1979
    I just messaged anneke gorte (SP?) and directed her to this thread.
    As a property owner and manager she may be able to give her thoughts and reasonings why some management companies/owners require cash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast