Aruba Beach
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By act1966
  • 4 Post By LeaveTheKidsWithMom
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By __steve__

Thread: Hello! Im wondering if mold is a problem in airbnb homes

Hello! Im wondering if mold is a problem in airbnb homes

Can anybody share if mold or black mold is an issue in looking for homes on Airbnb? I know its humid and there have been some bad storms fairly recently that might have resulted in water instruison or water damage. Ive asked the home owners outright yet i just dont see a reason they'd out right tell me. Ive also heard that aruba being so dry that it might not be much o a problem. I'd like to get your take o things. Looking to move there permanently if all goes well.

Are there areas that are more of a problem? I'm looking in the Noord area since its away form the high rises and the electromagnetic frequencies and the pollution. Is this a good place to get away from pollution of cell phone towers, shoddy construction pollution from car exhaust pesticides and power lines?

. I know they got hit hard last year after the superstorm/hurricane and they had copious flooding. I'm very sensititive to mold and an looking to leave the US and moldy homes due to poor and shoddy construction. Are homes in aruba built more solidly to withstand hurricane winds and rain?

Quote Originally Posted by EvelynDixon View Post
    Can anybody share if mold or black mold is an issue in looking for homes on Airbnb? I know its humid and there have been some bad storms fairly recently that might have resulted in water instruison or water damage. Ive asked the home owners outright yet i just dont see a reason they'd out right tell me. Ive also heard that aruba being so dry that it might not be much o a problem. I'd like to get your take o things. Looking to move there permanently if all goes well.

Are there areas that are more of a problem? I'm looking in the Noord area since its away form the high rises and the electromagnetic frequencies and the pollution. Is this a good place to get away from pollution of cell phone towers, shoddy construction pollution from car exhaust pesticides and power lines?

. I know they got hit hard last year after the superstorm/hurricane and they had copious flooding. I'm very sensititive to mold and an looking to leave the US and moldy homes due to poor and shoddy construction. Are homes in aruba built more solidly to withstand hurricane winds and rain?
    You can only judge that by vetting individual homes as a generalised statement won't cover you for all situations - Areas (eg Noord) don't prevent mould, good construction does. Some homes have central air that significantly reduces moisture and mould while others avoid it by just having good ventilation... if anything, you want to get a home inspection done before purchasing.
    Last edited by act1966; 06-25-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

since i am not an aruban homeowner, i cannot comment.

i look forward to reading replies especially answers about pollution, electromagnetic frequencies, pesticides, power lines and cell towers.

where in the US are you now that has moldy homes and shoddy construction?

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    Sounds like you would be better off at the north Pole but as for mold, Aruba is extremely dry and hot. As for the other stuff you mention, you're SOL.
    Spring and Fall 2018 are hopefully in the works

Aruba since 1979
    i tend to agree about the north pole re: all of the criteria.

re: the humidity
    aruba is actually quite humid.
    the dewpoint is usually above 73 most days of the year
    the breezes make it easy to take

https://weather-and-climate.com/aver...rc,Aruba,Aruba

Quote Originally Posted by LeaveTheKidsWithMom View Post
    Sounds like you would be better off at the north Pole but as for mold, Aruba is extremely dry and hot. As for the other stuff you mention, you're SOL.

Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum!

I hope you are able to find a great home & home inspector!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I don't live in Aruba but I have visited homes throughout the island and have witnessed water damage and rot, not from flooding, but due to rain. Trade wind with precipitation combined results in lateral rain hitting windows, and entrances, or other areas not properly sealed. Once moisture occurs, microbes start growing. There is also a great amount of dust and sand that seems to be everywhere except in resort hotel rooms which are scrupulously and throughly cleaned daily (at least from my experiences at rad/Hilton).

Aruba since 1979
    i do know that even some resorts have gone as far as putting portable dehumidifiers in the rooms and corridors.

As people mentioned earlier, areas don't prevent mould, good construction does. All houses in Aruba are build, using the concrete blocks, similar to Florida.
    And suppose to keep good insulation. Cooler, when hot outside and warmer when cold outside. Most of the local people are keep windows and doors are open, creating a good ventilation, also air conditioners helps to remove humidity from the houses.
    And this is true that salt, wind and precipitations are making hard to maintain windows and doors. In these days people are using vinyl windows, which are easier to maintain and the are not getting damaged faster then wooden.

And I think there are no places in the world, which can protect you on 100% from mother nature. When hurricane Sandy hit NYC area, how many houses, even well built were flooded or just completely destroyed.

The last year storm in Aruba did not do damage at all. It was a tail of the hurricane. The flooding, yes. And it was so unusual. The whole rainy season last year was unusual and locals don't recall same in the past years.

Before making any decisions, you should stay on the island for a few months, may be renting places in different areas. To get more familiar with the island, population, culture and climate.

Best of luck.