I had posted this on another Aruba bb and in response to a post on this board. Hopefully, some others can comment. Thank you.

I wonder whether visitors to Aruba are at a higher risk due to the V designation on the license plates of rental cars. It seems to me that if you rent a car that prominently displays a rental car company logo/advert or just shows the V plate, and park it outside the rental home, then this would alert those committing these crimes to the fact that the visitor will be away from the house at beaches, restaurants etc. Seems to me it would invite the criminal to watch for departures and plan a break in. Similarly, I believe the V plate encourages break ins to cars, as these people realise that most tourists are on the island for a week or 2 and when they are gone, the authorities will probably not pursue the matter.

It would be nice if AHATA and the Aruban Govt. would consider a single licensing system that does not make it obvious that the car is a rental. Also, if the rental car companies would stop advertising all over the car