Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandhopper114
  • 1 Post By jplayer

Thread: Villa Calabas

Cool Villa Calabas

Has anyone ever stayed at the Villa Calabas? We are considering this for an August rental and wondered if anyone has ever stayed there?

We stayed there last September and it was the best ever.
    The pictures on the internet are seriously a teaser!! It is much better in person!!

To be quite honest with you we had serious reservations about house rental as we had been robbed in the US on vacation before.
    Despite that the pictures just kept drawing me back and we finally booked.

From a security standpoint, the house has a sophisticated alarm system and we of course used common sense so we had no issues whatsover.. Although, I think even if we would have been stupid nothing would have happened. I say that because our Jeep sat out in the driveway all week with the top OFF and snorkel gear and other things in the back and no-one ever tampered with it despite it being a easy target!!

Is this your first visit or return?
    The house is on the interior of the island (you will need a car.. Rent a jeep you will not be disappointed) and as you come down the streets to get to it (everywhere actually) some of the houses look what we in the states would consider "sketchy" but I just believe that this is a difference in cultures and not really a representation of the areas crime rate!!

As for the view from the house.. You cannot see any of the homes mentioned above as their view is obstructed by distance/the gate(wall) surrounding the house and the houses roofline. In fact the only house in plain sight is the one directly across the street and it is actually a very beautiful home. In fact we were very happy to see that those folks (of the nice home) left the door of their house wide open many times, even when they would leave!! :-) That made us feel even safer!

We stayed a week and enjoyed every aspect of the house... We had quite a few dinner reservations at local restaurants but after eating one evening in the upstairs patio we called and cancelled all of them and went and stocked up at the grocery store because I just don't know if you could get any better!!

The pool is spectacular and super fun to be able to go get in whenever you want and not have to worry about bumping into strangers.

There is a garden area right beside the pool/patio that we nicknamed "Iguana garden" we threw out some cereal and the Iguana's would come and eat. Speaking of wildlife we saw a blue crab one evening in the rocks surrounding the pool.. Pretty cool considering you are 5 minutes inland or so... There was also a huge bullfrog that visited every night we nicknamed him "Fred".

Now for the really good part!!!
    JP and Eve, the owners.
    We only met them at check in (at sunrise studios) and JP took us to the house.. JP also came by the house to collect the key at a prearranged time for checkout.
    They are truly awesome people and even though we interacted with them very little on the island you could tell in that short time that they are super service oriented and I know without a doubt that if we had something come up during our stay that needed their attention they would have been over in a flash!

We are staying with them again in July but at one of their other properties that will better accommodate our much larger group (9).

As for groups at Calabas though.. It's a large house... The bedrooms are all about equally sized (large) and have queen(king maybe) beds in them.
    It would sleep 6 adults VERY comfortably.. There is also a room with an additional bed in it that is a small suite right off of the master bedroom and would work out well for smaller children or if in a pinch even a few more adults. This room is only separated from the master by a curtain.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Here are some pictures that we took during our stay.. Enjoy... (click for larger pictures)

Looking towards the house from the edge of the pool....

"Iguana Garden" entrance

View from top patio/eating area

Den/living room

The Kitchen / Eating area / Den(living room) and halway all run together and is a very spacious area..
    If I had to guess I would say all of these "living areas" combined are in the 900+ sq ft range..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Villa Calabas-calabaspool_thm.jpg  

Aruba since 1979
    Hmmmm I am trying to get contact info for a couple trying to rent.
    Could someone provide ?

Contact info

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Hmmmm I am trying to get contact info for a couple trying to rent.
    Could someone provide ?
    When we rented we simply used the contact form(s) on HomeAway or TripAdvisor (cant remember which one) and the owners(JP/Eve) responded almost immediately.
    Calabas on Tripadvisor
    Calabas on HomeAway

Speaking of which.. In our experience the availability calendars on all of those rental websites get updated quite frequently so you can get a good feeling for if the dates you are looking at are available almost immediately.

The owners/property website is:
    Owners Website - Sunset Studios