Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: To Villa or not to villa

Aruba since 1979
    when looking to rent at private villas or private apartments, plese make t a sure that you get a room key that is a CARD........"not an actual key".

my friend sherry was burglarized at ocean 105 a few years ago.

could the burglar have had a room key from a previous tenant?

the thieves not only broke into her apartment /ocean 105 and stole ipod, camera and laptop but they crowbarred the safe off of its stand with a good amount of cash.

i never heard whether or not they caught the burglars.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    Palma Real appeals to me the most out of all your choices. It is a nice complex, and close to everything.

Ocean 105 has always intrigued me- It's on the beach in Arashi. www.ocean105.com. There are 4 apartments. This is a very safe area. Maybe check them out as well. Good luck.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    you know, andrea, i believe that. whenever we went by Ocean 105, day or nite, the center door was open. and you can see in i guess a courtyard but there was no security whatsoever. it always seemed so many people were going in and out and when i looked it up, there's only 4 apts and it was always busy unless people just walked in to see what it looked like.

now at the wacamaya, i can say there was a code to get in. you had a key if you wanted to use it but there was a code on your door, a code to get in the gate, and a code to lock your door. so we never took the key with us.

i'm glad the gold coast has a guard. we wanted to go in and see it but knew we wouldn't get pass the guard.

gaby, when we stayed at ocean 105 they had double security doors to enter and exit. you could not just walk out. you had to have your key with you or you could not exit.

what we all assume, including the police, is that the burglars came in thru a possibly open door at the big house. the house was rented out and we think the people staying there didn't close the patio door before they went out. in order to come in, they had to climb up a steep rocky hill, over a fence and go thru the house before they broke a window to come into our apartment.

murphy's law was that we put everything in the safe so they ripped the safe off of the wall.

however, i will say that we loved the one bedroom apartment. it was a lovely place to stay and the walk to the best snorkeling beach on the island was just about 100 yards and well worth the few minutes walk.

if they do have security, which i know they hired after our burglary and hopefully the guard is still making rounds, i would never hesitate to stay there. without a guard, i would not stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    you know, andrea, i believe that. whenever we went by Ocean 105, day or nite, the center door was open. and you can see in i guess a courtyard but there was no security whatsoever. it always seemed so many people were going in and out and when i looked it up, there's only 4 apts and it was always busy unless people just walked in to see what it looked like.

now at the wacamaya, i can say there was a code to get in. you had a key if you wanted to use it but there was a code on your door, a code to get in the gate, and a code to lock your door. so we never took the key with us.

i'm glad the gold coast has a guard. we wanted to go in and see it but knew we wouldn't get pass the guard.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i loved the area but whenever we went by, the center door was open and it was busy. maybe it was the house??? I don't know.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by caromelle View Post
    The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that I can't seem to trust some of these mapped locations of properties on homeaway.com and other sites. They're all different?!
    The location of Wacamaya Village
    Palm beach is to the lower left, zoom in + and the resort names will come into view

The location of Palma Real
    Palma Real in lower right and the Riu is directly opposite on far left just off center

If all other comparisons are equal, Palma Real is much closer and convenient to Palm beach.

the center door (a gate) should not be open unless there are no tenants. it is supposed to be double locked at all times. that is the doorway to the courtyard and all apartments and the house branch off from there. the owners are not on premises 24/7 which is why a guard should always be on duty when the owners are not there.

i will warn you that their insurance covered nothing of our losses. i don't understand how that is possible but that's what it was. i met the agent who basically said we cover nothing and your homeowners will be your only source of compensation. when we talked to others, who had burglaries not just in aruba but at other destinations, we found that is relatively standard. so when traveling, make sure that your homeowners covers losses abroad. also remember that no american insurance company will cover more than $200 in cash in any burglary. we had brought mostly cash because there was a safe in the apartment. we lost it all except for the $200 that was reimbursed.

i loved the area but whenever we went by, the center door was open and it was busy. maybe it was the house??? I don't know.

that happened to me in paris. they took money from my hotel room. of course there was no safe and i had it hidden in my luggage. but good thing there was a lawyer in our group. he told me what to do. i went to the police station, got a report (it was in french, lol) and sent it to my homeowner's. i figured what did i have to lost, they could just say no. they actually reimbursed my cash up to $500.

you were very lucky. take it from me.

we lost everything... laptops, ipods, cameras, passports, and cash. our insurance company was wonderful about everything but cash. the worst thing was the us consul who was worthless and homeland security that was worse than worthless. the best thing was the aruban police who were amazingly kind, attentive, and did much more for us than the baltimore county police did 6 months later when (lucky us) our house was burglarized.

that happened to me in paris. they took money from my hotel room. of course there was no safe and i had it hidden in my luggage. but good thing there was a lawyer in our group. he told me what to do. i went to the police station, got a report (it was in french, lol) and sent it to my homeowner's. i figured what did i have to lost, they could just say no. they actually reimbursed my cash up to $500.

Aruba since 1979
    this thread (and i am sorry because it is my fault) has taken on a new life and anew topic.

in the Aruba General section, i will create a sticky about our ways and ideas of keeping our things safe and secure and what we do to ensure that........ based solely on aruba travel.

so now back to villa and apartments and where the original poster can stay!

i don't take anything electronic with me but i'd be upset about my passport. listen, good thing you weren't there by mistake. like you forgot something and went in while they were there. at least you weren't hurt but it sure puts a damper on your vacation. the sad thing is it can happen anywhere like you said, at your home. As long as you weren't hurt...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast