Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WARNING!!! Villa Makai Repeatedly Burglarized

To Uncle Dave: I'm happy that you have not had problems renting from Anneke Gorter. But I have to say, it sounds like we are talking about two different people. She was not there to greet us when we arrived, the yard and pool were dirty, we had to wait around for keys, she did nothing to help us after the burglary, and she still owes us money she promised to refund. Villa Makai has been broken into more than 20 times in the last three years. Yes, it seems painfully obvious that it's an inside job, but Anneke has done nothing about it. Instead, she continues to rent this house out without warning renters that it is a constant target of burglaries.

To Curly Laura: Please find out the address of the house that was broken into and post it here. Also, if you now the name of the property, like "Villa Makai" or whatever name it is advertised under, that would be useful also. And find out if this property was managed or rented out by Anneke Gorter. Anneke rents several properties near the Marriott and I do know of one other property that was burglarized twice in 2008 -- -"Coconut Villa” at Salina Cerca 39F-- this property is also managed by Anneke Gorter.

I'll pass your info along to the Aruba Police. They just told me recently that they re-activated their Task Force that investigates these rental house break-ins. No doubt they will want to investigate any potential patterns to these break-ins.

Targeted for breakins

I wonder whether visitors to Aruba are at a higher risk due to the V designation on the license plates of rental cars. It seems to me that if you rent a car that prominently displays a rental car company logo/advert or just shows the V plate, and park it outside the rental home, then this would alert those committing these crimes to the fact that the visitor will be away from the house at beaches, restaurants etc. Seems to me it would invite the criminal to watch for departures and plan a break in. Similarly, I believe the V plate encourages break ins to cars, as these people realise that most tourists are on the island for a week or 2 and when they are gone, the authorities will probably not pursue the matter.

It would be nice if AHATA and the Aruban Govt. would consider a single licensing system that does not make it obvious that the car is a rental. Also, if the rental car companies would stop advertising all over the car

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    well said aquaman.

Anneke Gorter is a tough cookie as i am originlly from the island and worked for the propane gas company of the island (arugas) she demands alot but expects to pay nothing... she could be very nice when it comes down to pleasing her or first impression... but i know she can be a pain. So reading all these comments doesn't suprize me. Allthough i did hear about the House beeing burgalized every now and then... (suspicion brings me to the conclusion that either she's notifying ppl to do this, or this burglar is just houses away from this propperty)

Similar situation my mother had but only to be Stolen the RENTAL VEHICLE...
    as my mother showed the company her Canadian DL and the company thinking she has A Canadian Insurance company to cover her no matter what.
    Dec 28 2008 she woke up ready to leave her house and the car was missing... no broken glass nor paint chips (if she could see that) first thing the company manager told her is to call her Insurance company from canada and things will be handled.. as she told him she does not have a conadian insurance company cuz she's a LOCAL CITIZEN the manager told her.. "okay... uhmmm.. i'll call you back"
    The landlord of the place where she was residing told her that the week before there was a car stolen form that same company and 2 weeks before that too.. so that was pretty suspicious to ME>!
    can u imagine what the cops think.. but don't act up on...
    Funny thing when she told me this is that THAT IS THE FIRST THING THE MANAGER TOLD HER... not even asked her where she left the car or did she leave the doors unlocked or windows open.. because it's a 2008 Toyota Yaris and these cars need the KEY to start the engine.. u can not "hotwire" these cars.. they need the chip (build in the key) to start...

so now he's fraiming her for AFL 32.000,- (just under US$20,000.00)
    wish the insurance from his company should cover...

I will post an add tomorrow when i get the info on what company this was.. so watch it!

any update on this? i'm booked for villa makai and am nervous

Hello all, I've been reading this thread and others, unfortunately I have already placed a 500 USD deposit on Villa Makai and am now trying to find a new place to stay, losing 500 is better than the 20k I've read about. Are there any new updates on this horrible situation at Villa Makai and Anneke Gorter? Very problematic that this still exists, I guess I've been taken.

Aruba since 1979
    i have not heard one more complaint since the original one was posted on this forum.

anneke has a very good solid reputation on aruba.

are you willing to walk away from the $500 deposit that you placed?

Quote Originally Posted by shinpet View Post
    Hello all, I've been reading this thread and others, unfortunately I have already placed a 500 USD deposit on Villa Makai and am now trying to find a new place to stay, losing 500 is better than the 20k I've read about. Are there any new updates on this horrible situation at Villa Makai and Anneke Gorter? Very problematic that this still exists, I guess I've been taken.

Just Making Sure, still very worried

Andrea, thanks for your reply, I am ready to walk away if our safety is in question. I am responsible for 7 other people, 500 is a small amount to pay for safe guarding a worry free holiday. I am a bit worried, I think we have made the wrong decision to visit Aruba, I really don't want to deal with this kind of thing, but now it is something more I need to deal with. I appreciate your help on this, but reading the forums, it seems Anneke has a very poor rating and I have made the wrong choice. Unless Anneke is ready to be paid after the trip or keep the deposit against any theft, I cannot feel comfortable with this situation.

I own a rental property and the only reason that I bought it was the fact that it is in a gated community. I also installed an alarm. I had heard that there are a lot of break in's on the island.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12