Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Airport thoughts for NYC

Question Airport thoughts for NYC

We have recently discussed the most miserable airport in the USA and unfortunately that is one that is in the running for an upcoming trip. Back on Valentine's Day I surprised Pam with a New York City trip to see the lights and decorations at Christmas this year. I have found flights to Newark, JFK and La Guardia but I need some help from you guys on which airport I should pick based on ease of access to the City, and any other thoughts you might have regarding these airports. I need suggestions for places to go, must see sights (and must not see sights), good NYC restaurants that are filled with locals not tourists, shows etc.

Aruba since 1979
    re: airport choice.....i think that i would base it on the shortest taxi trip into manhattan.
    i have no idea which airport as i always took amtrak from boston to penn station.
    have you looked into taking the train?
    i kind of enjoyed the train....actually really liked it.

activities..... rockettes christmas show, a broadway show.

restaurants.......too many to name

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    We have recently discussed the most miserable airport in the USA and unfortunately that is one that is in the running for an upcoming trip. Back on Valentine's Day I surprised Pam with a New York City trip to see the lights and decorations at Christmas this year. I have found flights to Newark, JFK and La Guardia but I need some help from you guys on which airport I should pick based on ease of access to the City, and any other thoughts you might have regarding these airports. I need suggestions for places to go, must see sights (and must not see sights), good NYC restaurants that are filled with locals not tourists, shows etc.
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

St Patrick's Cathedral, 5th Ave, Rockefeller Center (ice skating, the tree) Top of The Rock (observation Deck), Broadway - see a show, eat at Ellen's Stardust (singing servers), Tony's Di Napoli is awesome for Italian in the Theater district, walk the High Line or see what events may be happening then, Ground Zero, Freedom Tower

Are you renting a car and trying to navigate yourself? or using cabs?

Airports are about 40-45 minutes away from NYC depending on time of day. Anywhere near rush hours and your commute could be hours. I brought my daughter to JFK when she went to Vegas. Took me 35 min to get there and almost 3 hours to get home.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Jacki, I forgot all about Ellen's Stardust, lol.

If you are staying in Manhattan, I would think Newark airport would be less stressful & quicker to get there. Like Jacki said, depending on traffic from JFK could be long. I think they even have like a tram kind of train from Newark to Manhattan because my friend lives in Manhattan and ALWAYS flies out of Newark. I seriously would not rent a car if you are staying in Manhattan. The cost of parking alone will kill you and most hotels do not offer free parking even if you're staying there. Even the plaza charges parking fees even if you are a guest.

Ellen's Stardust is totally touristy, but it's a fun tourist thing, especially if you are a Broadway fan.

There is a train from Penn station to EWR (Newark).

I was going to advise against renting, but wanted input first lol

Carmine's is another awesome Italian family style restaurant in the Theater district.

Jules bistro is a fun little French place in the East Village, depending on how NYC experience you want to get there is always Lucky Cheng's drag queen dinner show. They used to be in the East Village, but now are in Hell's Kitchen close to The Intrepid

We always fly into LGA - easy in and easy out. We use the following car service for pick-up and drop off at the airport. No need to worry about a meter in a taxi if/when you're stuck in traffic. It's a set rate to/from the airport with the car service and the rate is decent.

https://www.dial7.com/

Our favorite restaurant in the theater district when we're going to a show is Becco. Great food and it doesn't kill the wallet either. We almost always get the following along with a salad: $24.95. Our renowned, unlimited table side service of Executive Chef William Gallagher's Three Daily Pasta Preparations.
    http://becco-nyc.com/
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 06-01-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    ~Amy~
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." - - Marcus Aurelius

San Fran/Napa Valley - Sept. 2016
    Barcelona, Mallorca, and Andorra - Nov. 2016
    Seattle - Dec. 2016
    34th trip to Aruba - Feb/March 2017

Thanks everyone. Gaby, I will rent and drive in Aruba, but there is no way I'd drive in the city. I got detoured off the highway for something on my way to Newport once and never, ever again do I want to experience that. My best price on flights is a direct to JFK. I would rather take a cab or the like instead of schlepping my bags on the train from Newark even though they will be carry on sized. Amy, that car service from JFK to Manhattan is a great price and Becco looks awesome. Andrea, I have looked at Amtrak all the way to Penn station and it is an option, the station here is only about 20 miles away from the house. Jacki, thanks for all of the restaurant recommendations. Lucky Cheng's drag show dinner sounds like a blast. We used to have a drag show brunch just down the street from us and we loved going. We knew a couple of the "ladies" and that made the experience that much more fun! We were so close that one of them would get dressed and do their makeup at our house before going to the show. Another question, has anyone used Uber in the city?

My daughter uses Uber or Lyft in the city often.

Amy, that car service from JFK to Manhattan is a great price and Becco looks awesome.
    We've used that car service many times both to/from the airport in NYC. They are always on time at the hotel for the pick-up back to the airport. Sometimes we've had a hard time finding them for pick-up at the airport because all of those car services with black sedans all look the same (LOL!) and their company name is not overly prominent on their cars. But just program their number into your cell phone and give them a call if you don't see them right away. It's never been more than 5 minutes of looking. What I love is not having to worry about the meter. When you're close to your hotel they'll hand you something that looks like an iPad and you just swipe your card through it and sign with your finger.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 06-02-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    ~Amy~
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." - - Marcus Aurelius

San Fran/Napa Valley - Sept. 2016
    Barcelona, Mallorca, and Andorra - Nov. 2016
    Seattle - Dec. 2016
    34th trip to Aruba - Feb/March 2017

Walt - I always fly in via LaGuardia... Newark is a nightmare from Canada. The logistics of getting into Manhattan are challenging (in my experience) whether via car or mass transit. LaGuardia is a lot more straight forward... get in the cab and you're there. Traffic can be a nightmare from either so good luck rolling those dice!

Things To Do

I haven't done the tourist things since the late 80s (when I first started going to NYC) but the 30 Rock tour, the Rockettes, and Macy's Herald Square are all on the hit list. I've found the best thing to do in Manhattan is just walk all over the place and "give in" to the city... you'd be surprised at some the places you end up.

Having said that, we're seriously thinking about doing this walking tour on our next trip:

https://www.contexttravel.com/city/n...ry-of-new-york

If you're going in good weather, Central Park is amazing just to walk around and is definitely an oasis in the city that never sleeps.

The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) is one of favourite places in the world... and the gift shop is fantastic.

If you can score tickets to "Hamilton", I'd say grab them... sixteen Tony nominations???

If there's something that interests you at Lincoln Center, the venue is beautiful at night and the shows we've seen there have always been great ("War Horse" was a particularly memorable experience).

The shopping is mind blowing - from "Century 21" all the way up to 5th Avenue staples.

The Apple Store is a hoot just to see the entrance.

Restaurants

I'm a die-hard "Nobu" fan (if you like sushi) - they just do everything great.

"Eleven Madison Park" is incredible.

Love "Quality Meats"

Had a surprisingly good meal at Bobby Flay's "Bar Americain" on the last trip and killer, KILLER margaritas - it's in Times Square so take that for what it's worth.

Cocktails and lunch in the lobby of the Waldorf-Astoria are always a riot - the people watching alone make it worth the time.

Hope this helps! Have a GREAT trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast