Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Airport thoughts for NYC

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    LaGuardia is a lot more straight forward... get in the cab and you're there.

If you can score tickets to "Hamilton", I'd say grab them... sixteen Tony nominations???
    I agree about LGA which is why we won't consider other airports for NYC.

I've been trying to get Hamilton tickets for months now. LOL! Yes, you can get tickets....but the cheapest I've been able to find are $500 per ticket. I want to see it but that's airfare to Aruba. LOL! I'll just keep waiting and watching prices I guess......maybe January in NYC?
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Walt - I always fly in via LaGuardia... Newark is a nightmare from Canada. The logistics of getting into Manhattan are challenging (in my experience) whether via car or mass transit. LaGuardia is a lot more straight forward... get in the cab and you're there. Traffic can be a nightmare from either so good luck rolling those dice!

Things To Do

I haven't done the tourist things since the late 80s (when I first started going to NYC) but the 30 Rock tour, the Rockettes, and Macy's Herald Square are all on the hit list. I've found the best thing to do in Manhattan is just walk all over the place and "give in" to the city... you'd be surprised at some the places you end up.

Having said that, we're seriously thinking about doing this walking tour on our next trip:

https://www.contexttravel.com/city/n...ry-of-new-york

If you're going in good weather, Central Park is amazing just to walk around and is definitely an oasis in the city that never sleeps.

The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) is one of favourite places in the world... and the gift shop is fantastic.

If you can score tickets to "Hamilton", I'd say grab them... sixteen Tony nominations???

If there's something that interests you at Lincoln Center, the venue is beautiful at night and the shows we've seen there have always been great ("War Horse" was a particularly memorable experience).

The shopping is mind blowing - from "Century 21" all the way up to 5th Avenue staples.

The Apple Store is a hoot just to see the entrance.

Restaurants

I'm a die-hard "Nobu" fan (if you like sushi) - they just do everything great.

"Eleven Madison Park" is incredible.

Love "Quality Meats"

Had a surprisingly good meal at Bobby Flay's "Bar Americain" on the last trip and killer, KILLER margaritas - it's in Times Square so take that for what it's worth.

Cocktails and lunch in the lobby of the Waldorf-Astoria are always a riot - the people watching alone make it worth the time.

Hope this helps! Have a GREAT trip!
    Wow! Thanks a lot! What amazing choices. The walking tour looks fantastic, but knowing us it would be a stumbling tour by the time we reached the end We are staying at the Marriott Marquis which is close to Times Square and I'm a fan of Bobby Flay so we will probably hit there at some point. Even though La Guardia keeps coming up, I think I have to take the non-stop first class flight to JFK for the cost alone. I'm going to rely on Amy's car service to get the job done. Amy, do they have stocked bars in the cars?

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Wow! Thanks a lot! What amazing choices. The walking tour looks fantastic, but knowing us it would be a stumbling tour by the time we reached the end We are staying at the Marriott Marquis which is close to Times Square and I'm a fan of Bobby Flay so we will probably hit there at some point. Even though La Guardia keeps coming up, I think I have to take the non-stop first class flight to JFK for the cost alone. I'm going to rely on Amy's car service to get the job done. Amy, do they have stocked bars in the cars?
    I may have done a few "stumbling tours" in my time... LOL

I've stayed at that Marriott - it's nice.

The Flay restaurant is great...they do those cactus syrup margaritas he's renowned for. http://baramericain.com/nyc/ Bonus points: you can do your own short stumble tour from the Marquis!!

If the flight's a bargain, I wouldn't care what airport it is!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    LOL! You know, that had never occurred to me! We just book the boring "sedan" but maybe one of the luxury vehicles? Reminds me of when we booked a car service from the Cabo, MX airport to our hotel since the airport is quite a ways out. The guy showed up in an SUV and a cooler full of cold beer and water for us. He used his seat belt as an opener. Gotta love MX sometimes! LOL!

Don't forget to go to the top of the Marriott to the View Lounge on the 48th floor - revolving bar with great views! There is a cover charge after 8 or 9pm though so go early if you want to save a few bucks.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 06-02-2016 at 02:21 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

The beach at the Tam and the beauty that is the Natural Bridge area.
    I can't comment on the airport part because we always drive in, but I would highly recommend climbing the Statue of Liberty. I'm terrified of heights and still not sure how I managed to get up and down the steps, but it was amazing and I'm so thankful I was able to do it. To know the piece of history that you're standing in and to get that view of the city - magical! Tickets for climbing do have to be purchased in advance (we went in December and had to purchase tickets in early October).

Please try this pizza spot - it isn't fancy, but it is the most delicious pizza I've ever had in my life - I dream about this pizza LOL. http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/menu.html There is usually a wait out the door, but it is worth it!!!

Punta Cana 6.08 - Riviera Maya 6.09 - Aruba 6.10 - Cozumel 6.11 - Aruba 4.12 - Bahamas 6.12 - Playa del Secreto 6.13 - Aruba 4.14 - Curacao 6.14 - Punta Cana 6.15 - Aruba 6.16 - Aruba 6.17

John's is awesome! and Lady Liberty is actually in NJ so you get two state visits for the price of one trip! Liberty Island/Ellis Island is a very cool place to explore ancestry too if you have the time and it's not too cold.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

LaGuardia is Easier because you are near the Gran Central Highway which goes over the RFK bridge into Manhattan. You will end up in Harlem and have a nice tour of the area. In Harlem there is this famous restaurant which serves soul food Sophies I believe is called. Its a family run business and they service your typical soul food chicken and waffle, ribs etc. By the way the metered cabs are a flat rate from the airport to NYC. I believe it is $45.00 and the dispatcher there gives you a paper telling you how much the fare will be. Like they do now Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedbaby00 View Post
    Please try this pizza spot - it isn't fancy, but it is the most delicious pizza I've ever had in my life - I dream about this pizza LOL. http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/menu.html There is usually a wait out the door, but it is worth it!!!
    sunkissed, we love pizza! Thanks so much for the recommendation. This sounds like a place we will definitely hit!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12