Aruba Beach
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cindyo
  • 1 Post By gaby

Thread: Allegiant Airlines

Allegiant Airlines

Just venting. Have any of you heard of Allegiant? A small regional carrier with limited service to smaller airports. We have one of those smaller airports about 5 miles from our house. Allegiant flies to and from our airport and a small airport near Daytona/Orlando called Sanford. Our son and his friend were (notice "were") on an Allegiant flight on this coming Sunday to vacation with grandma in Florida. This is the same day we leave for Aruba from Akron to Orlando to Aruba.

Yesterday I got an email from Allegiant indicating an intent by the pilots union to strike beginning Thursday. They gave passengers the opportunity to make other arrangements if we were flying with them between the 2nd and 7th, and if we did so, we would get a refund of our Allegiant fare if we didn't show up for our flight with them. After a short panic and a talk with the friend's mom, we decided to be proactive and arrange another flight for the boys. Fortunately, there were seats on SW on my and DH flight from Akron to Orlando. The cost was just a bit more than what our refund will be.

This morning I found out a judge has issued an injunction and the pilots are not allowed to strike.

Allegiant touts itself as a low cost, budget airline. Not so much. There are a few cheap seats. You are charged for seat selection, checked baggage and carry-ons. There are a few dollars difference if you pay with a credit card vs. debit card. Their customer service phone lines stink. And, more than 1/2 the flights I have taken with them, they have been late, up to 7 hours late.

So, I really didn't have to do anything, but I didn't want to leave for Aruba worrying if the boys had their flight to Florida. Sheesh

Thank you for allowing me to vent; have a nice day. I'd say we have 3 more sleeps, but I have a feeling I won't sleep much Saturday night knowing I have to get up about 3:15.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Nothing like getting you all worked up and nervous!!!
    Glad all is well. I don't know about you but I get myself worked up before heading to airports, boarding, food, passengers sitting next to me....Jesh, total hear you!!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Cindy, me, too, lol. we would be some pair if we flew together, lol

I used to love to fly...but no more! The airlines have forgotten what "customer service" truly means.

yes, you get worked up worrying, all to have it work out in the end...but as you say, if you were on your way and the kids couldn't get on flights, then you have a problem !!!!!
    The older I get the more I tell myself that no matter what the reason stress will only make matters worse. So I just say...screw it....and go about my business. If I can fix it I do, if not I don't worry because my health (or lack of) is not worth risking. Extraneous things you can not control are not worth stressing over. I have actually gotten to the point that I am pretty good about this......Just breathe, think about aruba (whether you are going or not) and the stress seems to float away!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

From the time my kids were little I've tried to get them to "go with the flow".

I'm not so much the nervous flyer, just a little impatient. Especially when the destination is Aruba.

So far, all is good. The boys will fly with us, grandma has no problem going to the Mickey-Mouse airport to pick them up (for years we would meet her in front of the Disney store, so it became the Mouse-port) and we will continue on our way south. We will get a refund from the original flight for which the boys will not show up. Strange however, I read on the Allegiant website that they will refund if you simply don't show; they don't want you calling to cancel. I would think they'd like to know those 2 seats will be empty. They could resell them?

Allegiant has pretty cheap 45 minute flights from here in Fresno, CA to Las Vegas. I haven't been in a LONG time, but it used to be $150pp round trip. Not bad IMO, but recently have been hearing of LONG delays with them....its too bad because I'm pretty sure they are the only direct flight to/from Vegas.