Aruba Beach

Thread: Alternative College Spring Break - Jamaica

Question Alternative College Spring Break - Jamaica

Hi everyone. I hope this isn't too far off topic, but after visiting some other message boards, I gave up finding one as informative as this one.

I was wondering if anyone has been to Jamaica in early spring? My son is in college, and just made last minute plans to go with several students to volunteer over spring break at an elementary school in central Jamaica. With a only about three weeks to prepare, he's in a bit of a rush. Luckily, he already had the required Hepatitis vaccine, and he got his typhoid vaccine a few days ago. His passport is up to date too, so I do feel like we have the big bases covered.

If anyone has visited Jamaica in early March, how was the weather, mosquitos and how much should I worry about safety? Any advice and tips would be welcomed. Thanks so much!
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Sorry to have just seen this now, hopefully you will see it when you return home.

We were in Ocho Rios for a week one year mid February. Weather was picture perfect. We dove many times, everyday, no mossies at night.

For safety and crime info, I rely on US Department of State, have always found their info, pretty much accurate:
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html#safety
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html#crime

Thanks so much Lisa. My son will be leaving Saturday, and I'll send those links to him. He found out his group will be staying in a small village, and there's no electricity or running water. He's very excited about the trip though. He'll be working at the village school for the week, and he and his group have collected books and many other supplies for the children. I did read that there has been a bit of an outbreak of malaria around Kingston, so he'll be taking bug repellent, just in case there's mosquitos where they're staying. They are going to get to visit a tourist town and beach for two days during the trip. It's good to hear the weather was nice for you in mid February.

Thanks again for those important links. Young people, especially boys, feel so invincible, and I hope he realizes that he does need to take some precautions.
    Next Aruba trip in

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    You are one cool mom to let him go. I hope he is safe and enjoys his time there.

Aruba since 1979
    your son sounds like a wonderful young man.
    kudos to he and his friends for turning their well deserved school break into a very worthwhile adventure donating their time and talent.
    please tell him he is a fine example of the good things in this world.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    Thanks so much Lisa. My son will be leaving Saturday, and I'll send those links to him. He found out his group will be staying in a small village, and there's no electricity or running water. He's very excited about the trip though. He'll be working at the village school for the week, and he and his group have collected books and many other supplies for the children. I did read that there has been a bit of an outbreak of malaria around Kingston, so he'll be taking bug repellent, just in case there's mosquitos where they're staying. They are going to get to visit a tourist town and beach for two days during the trip. It's good to hear the weather was nice for you in mid February.

Thanks again for those important links. Young people, especially boys, feel so invincible, and I hope he realizes that he does need to take some precautions.

I signed in to get information for friends who just made last minute reservations for their FIRST trip to Aruba, and then I saw these posts. I can't tell you how much I'm smiling at your well wishes for my son. Thanks so much!!!

There are 40 groups (20 students/group), from my son's college alone, going all over the US and internationally (within a day's flight), to areas in need. It really is wonderful that so many young adults are taking their "party week" to go out and make a positive impact on these desperately impoverished areas. As much worry as I can muster, and I'm a pretty darn good worrier, I am equally proud of him for wanting to make this trip. Of course, when the group is safely back home, I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

I sent him the links last night that ArubaLisa posted, and he read them and assured me, once again, that he'll be careful (). Being a mom, it made me feel better giving him an official reminder from the US Dept of State that he needs to stay alert to his surroundings. Somehow, I felt that might have a bigger impact than my warnings..haha

Anyway...thanks again!!!!
    Next Aruba trip in

I am happy that he was able to use the info. Safe travels, and thank him for doing this wonderful deed.