Aruba Beach

Thread: am i lazy or cheap :-) ?

Aruba since 1979

am i lazy or cheap :-) ?

the saga of the maine house continues!
    the house came with central vacuum and it is wonderful.

due to the addition, we'd have to add another section of central vac which is priced high.
    the vacuum man said, well if you do not want to pay how 'bout i sell you a 50 foot hose and from your plug in point on the first floor, you will be able to vacuum the entire downstairs including the new addition.
    cost $153.
    i agreed, whipped out my credit card and he said "i take cash only".
    paul and i left the shop, went to the atm, got some cash.
    had to stop at sears for a part to paul's chainsaw and there before my very eyes was an I-ROBOT-ROOMBA $97!

of course we bought the damn thing.
    charged that baby up and omg, it actually works and does a fine job.

that piece of gadgetry will be fine for our 25'x26' addition, which will be a step down living room dining room off of the exisiting kitchen.
    NO $153 hose for us.
    No $700 cenral vac piping etc.

lazy, probably
    cheap, undoubtedly
    technology challened, not so much.

andrea

We've had a roomba for about a year. I love how it decided it needs to go back to the mother ship, goes "beep beep" and heads for home. Reminds me of Road Runner.

It does a decent job on our very low pile carpets but one still needs a more powerful suction once in a while.

I don't know how much suction you can expect from the end of a fifty foot hose, plus I know I'd be knocking over stuff with all that length -- so I think you made a good choice.
    Last edited by AuntieMame; 04-13-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieMame View Post
    I don't know how much suction you can expect from the end of a fifty foot hose, plus I know I'd be knocking over stuff with all that length -- so I think you made a good choice.
    As I was reading, I was thinking of the suction aspect as well. Good decision A & P!

I always wondered if a Roomba worked, but they used to be so expensive. I think you made a good move. Central vacs can be cumbersome!
    Aruba History:
    Lou: Visited on a cruise in 2005
    Lou&Nay: Will visit on our honeymoon 9/2008

Our Roomba story:
    The parents get the brother who lives in Miami a Roomba. He thinks it is just another gadget and returns it.
    Brother now lives in Manhattan, New York and is once again the proud owner of a.... Roomba, and loves it!