Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Amazon Kindle

Amazon Kindle

I've had my Amazon Kindle electronic reading device for a couple of weeks now. I'm loving it for general use. In the US downloading of books happens over the whispernet, cellphone system and is a tad slow when browsing but a whole book magically appears in about 30 seconds. I've read three books on it so far and the screen is excellent in all conditions.

Only downside is the buttons to turn pages are a little two large and you bump them until you get used to it. And then the on/off switch is out of the way and a little too small.

However, you can't beat the ability to tote 200+ books around in a device the size of a trade paperback, about 6 X 9 inches. With another SD memory card you can double that. Haven't had it to the beach but will try that soon.

And books are about 1/2 the price, with classics selling for 1-3 bucks.

For those of us who like to read on plane trips to Aruba and kick back on our fantastic island, this device may be just the thing.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Aruba since 1979
    i have wondered how folks would react to the "kindle".
    thank you for sharing your review.
    do you buy the downloads directly from amazon?

i am very interested in the amazon kindle.

paul and i are hooked on audiobooks. although we love reading, we find that in aruba poolside or at the beach listening to them is a better choice for us.

this past vacation we listened to (unabridged MP3) Blood Orchid, Orchid Blues, Reckless Abandon and Dirty Work (author, stuart woods)

Ok what is "whispernet"?

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    I've had my Amazon Kindle electronic reading device for a couple of weeks now. I'm loving it for general use. In the US downloading of books happens over the whispernet, cellphone system and is a tad slow when browsing but a whole book magically appears in about 30 seconds. I've read three books on it so far and the screen is excellent in all conditions.

Only downside is the buttons to turn pages are a little two large and you bump them until you get used to it. And then the on/off switch is out of the way and a little too small.

However, you can't beat the ability to tote 200+ books around in a device the size of a trade paperback, about 6 X 9 inches. With another SD memory card you can double that. Haven't had it to the beach but will try that soon.

And books are about 1/2 the price, with classics selling for 1-3 bucks.

For those of us who like to read on plane trips to Aruba and kick back on our fantastic island, this device may be just the thing.

San Nic - Info on Kindle

Noticed this on your blog. This would be a perfect gift for my Mom since I can never think of things to get her. Can you tell me a little more about it?

Mark,

The Kindle is an "electronic reading device." It has a great screen, long battery life, and you're able to download books over the "whisper net" which is a part of the cell phone system. Books are also cheaper than printed ones, typically 9.95 as opposed to about double that. You need an Amazon account to use the device because they charge your account when you download a book on the fly, the way I did the other day at the airport. The device can hold about 200 books with internal memory and you can use SD cards to store more.

I've read several books on mine over the last few months. Found no real problems. If your mom likes to read and wants to buy through Amazon, it is the way to go. However, I also collect my favorite books in paper form so sometimes I end up buying them twice.

PS: You can't get my book on the Kindle due to rights issues.

Here's the link to Amazon/Kindle. Look at the videos. They are very helpful. I am still debating whether to spend the money. its NOT cheap......but I have so many books at home that I havent read....if I had Kindle might make it more fun to read. I think it has so many more features that I would ever need...

And I'd be willing to bet there's some book like "Kindle for Dummies" (which I would need - lol!) There's all sorts of accessories, and you can get an extra memory card. I guess I was really waiting to make sure it wasnt a gimmick. Maybe for Christmas......??

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12199598...eywords=kindle

Aruba since 1979
    The Complete User's Guide to the Amazing Amazon Kindle by Stephen Windwalker

i do like your title better!

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Karen in NYC View Post
    Here's the link to Amazon/Kindle. Look at the videos. They are very helpful. I am still debating whether to spend the money. its NOT cheap......but I have so many books at home that I havent read....if I had Kindle might make it more fun to read. I think it has so many more features that I would ever need...

And I'd be willing to bet there's some book like "Kindle for Dummies" (which I would need - lol!) There's all sorts of accessories, and you can get an extra memory card. I guess I was really waiting to make sure it wasnt a gimmick. Maybe for Christmas......??

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12199598...eywords=kindle

Karen,

The kindle would be a great Christmas gift. I just downloaded a couple more books and saved more than $10. If you read plenty, it will catch up with the price of the device.

Electronic book readers

Probably WAY off topic...I'm thinking of getting one of these for the OH to take when we go to Aruba next year. She is an avid reader, and it would save us a ton of weight in the bqaggage.

Anyone use one of these in Aruba? I've noticed that the specs on all the different ones has a maxtemp of 95, and I know it gets that hot or hotter some days. Any problems with them?

Also, can you REALLY read them in direct sunlight? Seems hard to believe to me, but trying them out here in the UK isn't going to give you a fair test.

Lastly, anyone got suggestions on the best model? The4y all seem pricy, and I'm a bit worried about the actual cost of getting books, and not being able to have a backup on some of the different ones.

Any advice would be gratefully received, before I blow the retirement check on one that's not worth the dosh!

Cheers,

Greg

Aruba since 1979
    OH OH OH did you refer to your wife as an OH ??? (i am SMILING)
    Liz - arubalover has a KINDLE i am not sure how happy she is with it. my husband has been eyeballing one and also the SONY model. My husband is a newspaper addict. We subscribe to the boston globe, usa toady and the wsj as well as our local. since we are in central maine, we get these papers by us mail, a day late. AND they are costly I wish my husband would at least try to borrow a kindle to see if he could get used to it. our monthly newspaper bill is almost $180 it is disgusting and being retired and literally on a fixed income is more than we should be spending a kindle would allow him cheaper subscriptions

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I got the Kindle last October when it was shown on Oprah. I originally bought it as a Christmas gift for my brother. My sister-in-law said he rather "hold a book" so I kept it for myself. I really haven't used it as I've been busy. Last night was the first time I used it since May. I did recharge it about a month ago but it didn't work. Then I didn't have time then to call Kindle. Last night I did call and all I had to do was take off the back cover and reset it with a pen (or paper clip). This has happened before but I called to make sure of how many seconds to hold the paperclip/pen in the reset button. I was told if you hold it in for the wrong amount of time you can ruin the Kindle.

I do like the "feel" of reading a book much more than reading on Kindle. It takes time to get use to. The cover that comes with the Kindle is terrible; it never stays on. If the cover stayed on, it would feel more like a book. I think you can buy another cover but I haven't wanted to spend the money. Hopefully they upgraded the covers on the new Kindle.

The Kindle does not have pages numbers which can be annonying. There is a series of #'s on the bottom of a "page"which I haven't figured out. I should take the time to read the Kindle forums. The reason there are no page #'s is that you can adjust the size font. Since I read in a large font, I would have more "pages" than someone that has better eyesight and reads in a smaller font.

When you turn on the Kindle it should go to the "page" you were on last. Since I haven't used it in so long, I forgot where I was in the book. I even forgot what book I was reading. When I said this to Kindle support last night, he said even though it hadn't been working, that it should go back to my last page if I had the wireless turned on when I last turned it off in May. I must have as it did go to the page I was last reading. Thank goodness.

Kindle support has been great. When I came home from Aruba last January, my Kindle didn't work. Maybe? I got sand in it. I called support and they told me to reset it. Still didn't work. They sent me another one with a shipping label to send mine back. The 2nd one I had trouble with (no sand) and they send me a 3rd one. The 3rd one I was sitting poolside at Divi Golf Resort in April and sat my butt down on it. Amazing but it didn't crack but it didn't work. Its funny now but it wasn't then. Came home from Aruba' called Kindle (not telling them I sat on it) and they sent me another one. In one year I'm on my 4th Kindle.

You can also listen to audio books on the Kindle which I haven't done. I know Andrea loves her audio books but I rather read.

I had no problem reading in sunlight. Now they have the Interntional Kindle so you can download books/magaines/newspapers in Aruba.

Would I recommend the Kindle. Yes. But I don't have time to be a avid reader. I know people that read a book in 1 or 2 days. That gets expensive buying books for Kindle or Sony readers. If you didn't know, you can "share" books with up to 7 people if they are on your Amazon account.
    Last edited by Liz - Aruba Lover; 11-06-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast