Aruba Beach
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Amazon Kindle

I have a Nook Color -worth taking a look at too. I was able to download new content (my weekly Sports Illustrated subscription) and my emails in Aruba and recently in Italy as long as I was in a wifi zone. I don't believe 3G will work outside the US unless you purchase a 3G data plan wherever you are travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnev View Post
    I have a Nook Color -worth taking a look at too. I was able to download new content (my weekly Sports Illustrated subscription) and my emails in Aruba and recently in Italy as long as I was in a wifi zone. I don't believe 3G will work outside the US unless you purchase a 3G data plan wherever you are travelling.
    I will verify with dh when he gets out of class, but I am pretty sure downloads are on Amazon's dime.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    I took a kindle to Aruba on our last visit. I downloaded several books before I left home, and didn't try to download anything while I was there. I don't know how it would work with getting the daily papers. I also purchased two weeks of Wifi Aruba for my laptop while I was there, and used that for email and daily news. The kindle worked great in the sunlight on the beach.

Since many of these posts are now outdated, I'm hoping someone can give me current info on the Kindle.

I'm thinking of buying one to use when we travel to Aruba. My question is can you download books while in Aruba as long as there is a wi-fi connection available? Is there any additional charge because it's international or just the price of the book download??

Also, while in Aruba can you download local NY/NJ daily newspapers (obviously, as long as they're in Kindle's system). If you can, how expensive is it to download a daily newspaper? Do you pay by the day or week? We go to Aruba for 3 weeks and my husband is always desperate for local newspapers!!

I do not own a Kindle so any guidance to buying the right one for the above purposes would be greatly appreciated.

Kindle

Hello,

As long as you are on wifi there will be no charges. If you use a cell network it will be very expensive. Wifi may cost money to hook up to at your hotel, but once connected through wifi you do not incur download charges. I always take my iPad and a laptop.

Blaine

I took my kindle last January when we stayed at the Tam. There was a snowstorm in Boston and we had no problem downloading the Boston Globe and reading all about it. The cost was 75 cents. It is an abrieviated version, no ads etc. but had all the regular news and sports.
    I wouldn't travel without it.

Jackie

I knew posting on an Aruba BB would get me fast responses and opinions and thank you all ... and keep them coming!

I'm looking at the Kindle Keyboard 3G + WiFi, which offers free wi-fi connectivity right out of the box. We stay at the Renaissance Ocean Suites. There is free wi-fi in the lobby, so I assume that will allow me to download books to the Kindle with no additional charges. I also travel with a netbook, so I can always bring a USB with me just incase I guess.

We go to Aruba for 3 weeks, so I'd prefer to download the books as we need them while in Aruba. The newspapers would be amazing though!!!

Arubalisa .... the protective covering from sand/water is a great idea as well. Fortunatley Christmas is just around the corner andn will be before we go to Aruba!! Since someone in your family does own the 3G+wi-fi, as much info as you can provide about use is appreciated.

What dh said ;)

Wi-fi should work where ever you are, but would buy the one that offers both for the USA, so you could download anywhere with 3G while in the USA. No costs for wi-fi except cost of books and if you have to pay for the wi fi connection.

local papers, you can go to the kindle store tab and see, but think NY times is there, not sure as to others, many larger national papers are there. The papers require a subscription. East Coast Newspapers-The Record
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...famstripe_kk3g
    Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) is the easiest option because there is no wireless setup—you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. Built-in Free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity. The added convenience of 3G enables you to download books anytime, anywhere, while on the go—without having to find a Wi-Fi hotspot connection. With wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, Kindle 3G is a great option for travelers. Check 3G coverage area [Aruba offers "EDGE/GPRS coverage (lower speed)"]
    Personally i would buy any of the kindles but not the fire, and take the 3g and wi-fi option. If you want to spend less go with the ones that feature the ads as screen savers, but that is a personal choice and not that much less.

Have a wifi kindle myself and have downloaded books while in Aruba with no cost associated to it at all, do not know if it is because the hotel had free wifi or what ...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    no cost associated to it at all, do not know if it is because the hotel had free wifi or what ...
    Quote Originally Posted by arubalisa View Post
    kindle 3g (free 3g + wi-fi) is the easiest option because there is no wireless setup—you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. Built-in free 3g connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—amazon pays for kindle’s 3g wireless connectivity. The added convenience of 3g enables you to download books anytime, anywhere, while on the go—without having to find a wi-fi hotspot connection. With wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, kindle 3g is a great option for travelers. check 3g coverage area [aruba offers "edge/gprs coverage (lower speed)"]
    :d

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast