Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Amazon Kindle

Banned
    Manchebo Eagle Beach, Oceania Residences, Occidental
    I have the Sony Reader and I love it. I've only had it about 3 months and will be taking it to Aruba next week. I will let you know then if I still love it.
    I was very concerned when I first purchased a reader how it would be for my eyes but I have used it consistently and it is just like reading a regular book. I am so happy I got it now!
    and the money I save buying e-books versus paperbacks is huge!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by kthy66 View Post
    I have the Sony Reader and I love it. I've only had it about 3 months and will be taking it to Aruba next week. I will let you know then if I still love it.
    I was very concerned when I first purchased a reader how it would be for my eyes but I have used it consistently and it is just like reading a regular book. I am so happy I got it now!
    and the money I save buying e-books versus paperbacks is huge!
    Kathy, which model did you get?? We're looking at them for CHristmas gifts and saw 2 different types. We have a sony store in the mall but no one seemed interested in waiting on us so we left with no info.
    I think it would be great especially if the kids could download books for college/nursing school.
    Any tips would be appreicated. cindy

I'm lurking on this thread to hear opinions, recommendations, etc. We're thinking of getting some kind of reader for my mother. But I just don't know if she is technical enough to download books or want to. The concept is similar to an iPod, correct? You go to certain sites and download books for a fee? What is the average cost for a book?

Banned
    Manchebo Eagle Beach, Oceania Residences, Occidental
    Hi Cindy, I got the PRS-505. I did a lot of research and thought that it was the best bang for the buck.
    It doesn't have the wireless capability like the kindle but they are coming out with one. Personally I didn't really care about the wireless. The wireless provides the ability to download without having to plug into a computer. The Sony reader came with the data cable and it worked great transferring from my computer to the reader and it also charges when you plug it in.

I also purchased an AC charger for short money just in case I need to recharge while away from my puter.

The resolution is real easy on the eyes and I do love that I can make the print bigger. Sometimes at night I can't put the darn thing down and I need the bigger print because my eyes are half shut.

You can take a look at the sony store http://ebookstore.sony.com/.. gives you an idea on how their prices are and such...
    plus you can order books through other service as well like ebooks.com

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Kindle or Sony. I heard that borders is coming out with one as well.
    Hope this helps.. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.. Ill answer as best I can.

I have a Kindle, one of the first version. Works very well. Reading is easy. Toting dozens of books in that little gadget is also better than literally toting dozens of books.

In Aruba, the whispernet function doesn't work. No worries. I download the books to the computer, drag them onto the Kindle, and you're good to go.

Plus, the prices for books are significantly less. If you read steadily, you'll use up the price of the Kindle in savings on the cover price.

Enjoy.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

WiFi E reader

Has anyone used a Wi Fi E reader in Aruba? Was thinking of bringing one to send and receive my E-mail.

Aruba since 1979
    i do not have one but my husband and i are eyeing the "nook".
    that being said, in august we saw numerous folks at casa del mar and aruba beach club and lacabana with "kindles and nooks and the sony e reader"

i do not know if any of those folks used their readers for email, but do know they were using them for reading!!

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
    Has anyone used a Wi Fi E reader in Aruba? Was thinking of bringing one to send and receive my E-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i do not know if any of those folks used their readers for email, but do know they were using them for reading!!
    I always wonder about the glare with those things. I cannot even see a laptop screen in the bright sun.

Also how do you keep sand out of them?

Aruba since 1979
    i asked a couple of the folks about the glare and they all said no problem!

liz..........arubalover........also has one and i think she may have complained of glare issues.

sand........no clue. (per usual)

I also wonder about glare. I definately would not take it on the beach. More interested in E-mailing family while on vacation. My golden retriever has had a problem & is on some meds so I know I will want to check with my daughter & see how she is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I always wonder about the glare with those things. I cannot even see a laptop screen in the bright sun.

Also how do you keep sand out of them?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast