Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Amazon Kindle

My wife has the Kindle and she loves it. She brought it with her and used it on the beach. The screens on the e-readers are not the same as a laptop. They use what is called E-Ink technoloy so it is different.

The Kindle with the international wireless (yes will work in Aruba for FREE) works well. The Kindle is the only device that has a web browser built into it. While it is pretty slow it works fine. Any "mobile" website will be fine for it. So you can read the news, facebook, email, all works well.

So you can be on the beach and use it, vs having to be in the hotel room and possibly having to pay for it. Just make sure that you bring your charger since when the cell connection is turned on, it does eat at the battery.

Also the Kindle having a keyboard makes it easier with the web browser.
    Decided to take down my timer!

How long does the battery last when the cell connection is NOT turned on?

It will last for a couple of weeks with the cell turned off.

Does anyone use an iPad to read? Would it be safe to take it there?

Aruba since 1979
    i am using my DILs this weekend (here in the usa)
    this afternoon i will be poolside and hopefully it will be sunny.
    i will report in on glare etc...

and as far as an ipad/kindle/electronics being safe on island...........i would recommend folks be proactive and not leave things like that hanging around in full view.
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/vacati...y-stuff-41293/ check out this thread
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 11-27-2010 at 07:58 AM.

I brought our Ipad and Kindle last trip. Since you can use the Kindle App on the Ipad also (yes at the same time as using the kindle). The iPad is not easy to read in the sun, the screen puts off a harsh glare, unlike the kindle with the e-ink technology. But I did see a man reading at the pool every morning on his iPad. But he was always in the shade.
    Decided to take down my timer!

I had no issues with glare on the Kindle while in Aruba last week! And I was using it in in full sun. I also used the Trendydigital cover I mentioned in my earlier post. It is like a fancy ziplock bag for the Kindle. You could use all the buttons (although I found the power on button a bit harder to use with this case but I could still turn it on).

Overall I loved having my Kindle on vacation instead of packing books. This way I could bring more clothes!!

So...as far as the Kindle is concerned if I do not need the 3G for internet because we have to travel with a laptop for photos and work anyway, the cheapest $139.99 version would be sufficient?

I would say the cheapest is fine. I only have the wifi kindle and it works fine for me. But I just use my kindle for reading....I know you can use it for other stuff but I have not done that.

LOL, dh informed me that it HAS to be a 3G. I have no clue why, I just follow directions. Here I was thinking I was so smart saving $50

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast