Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Amazon Kindle

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    The difference between Kindle Wi-Fi and 3G:

3G: Connect wirelessly through phone line (whispernet). With whispernet you can always connect anywhere. In Aruba, if you buy and download a book, it will cost an extra .99 cents (besides the cost of the book). The added charge is only for International downloads, it's free in U.S. to download.

Wi-Fi: does not use whispernet (phone line). If you are at an establishment with free Wi-Fi (Starbucks in Aruba, or a restaurant with free Wi-Fi or I think Marriott Lobby has free Wi-Fi) and in signal range, you can connect, purchase and download a book. Since you are not connecting through a phone line with the Wi-Fi version, there is no .99 cent extra charge for the download. If say there were no free Wi-Fi, then you would have to purchase a service like you need to with internet service for a laptop.

With both versions, you can download through the USB cable that comes with the Kindle. So with the 3G, you would not have to pay the .99 cents. Or download your books before you leave for Aruba.

Regarding Wi-Fi Kindle: At home, you need to set-up the Kindle with your router. With 3G you don't - your connected all the time, anywhere. My friend just got a Wi-Fi version. She was waiting for her mother at the doctors office and wanted to download a book but couldn't. She called Kindle support and they told her that she would need the doctor's office's password.

To me, 3G is worth the extra money. I don't want the hassle of having to set-up the Kindle with my router. And if I go to my local pizza place I don't have to worry about asking for their password. I download my books at home before I go to Aruba, I don't have to pay the extra download fee.

Of course, you can read your books on either version anywhere.
    Last edited by Liz - Aruba Lover; 12-07-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    liz said............3G: Connect wirelessly through phone line (whispernet). With whispernet you can always connect anywhere. In Aruba, if you buy and download a book, it will cost an extra .99 cents (besides the cost of the book). The added charge is only for International downloads, it's free in U.S. to download.

i ask........how can one connect wirelessly thru the phone line? am i missing something?

In the U.S. Kindle whispernet uses Sprint & ATT. Maybe the .99 cent download fee goes to the company in Aruba that partners with them.

http://freshtech.wordpress.com/2007/...et-technology/

Aruba since 1979
    thanks liz
    paul wants one.
    we have done so much research it has confused us.
    he wants to download books.
    he wants to read the wsj and the boston globe on it.
    have stood and looked at kindle, nook, sony e reader and another one that best buy carries...........all that happened was we became confused.

will wait it out i guess.
    the extra $ are not there at this point......maybe in the new year if i get a job.
    do you like yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Liz - Aruba Lover View Post
    . To me, 3G is worth the extra money. I don't want the hassle of having to set-up the Kindle with my router. And if I go to my local pizza place I don't have to worry about asking for their password. I download my books at home before I go to Aruba, I don't have to pay the extra download fee.

Of course, you can read your books on either version anywhere.
    Thank you Liz, I truly appreciate the info. Dh wants the 3G to avoid the router hassle AND the LAST thing this house needs is ANOTHER USB cord. Seemingly there is one in at least every drawer . So it was decided dh will get a Kindle for Christmas

E-readers sure has come down alot in price. I bought my Kindle when Oprah raved about it on her show. It was $359. I saved $50 by putting in "Oprah" when ordering. I paid $309. Mine is the 1st generation which were 3G. I did find out last night that even though mine is 3G that the 1st generation cannot download in Aruba. I don't subscribe to any magazine or newspapers, so that is ok for me as I have my books downloaded before I go to Aruba.

I don't really know about other e-readers, but Amazon has great support. There is a phone # on their support page that you put in your phone #, then your phone rings immediately and a live person is with you in a minute. Best of all the person speaks English. That's amazing nowadays. In the first 6 months I went through 3 Kindles. I don't remember what was wrong with my 1st Kindle. The 2nd one the page kept flickering. Support helped me figure it out for a few minutes, then just said we will send you another. The 3rd Kindle I was sitting poolside at the Divi Golf Resort. I got up from the lounge chair to greet my nephew and his family that were there and then proceeded to sit my fat butt down on the Kindle. Of course, it didn't work. I was lucky it didn't crack. When I got home I called Kindle and they said send it back. Of course I didn't tell Amazon what I did. So I am on my 4th Kindle. My warranty is over so I better be careful. I would look into the cost of additional accidental coverage - sand, dropping, sitting on (lol).

I know alot of people that have a Kindles that does not know this. I don't know about other e-readers but with Kindle you can download books to 6 (or it may be 8) other Kindles. If your family all have a Kindle, everyone can download the same book, newspaper, etc. on their own e-reader. But every Kindle has to be associated with only one account.

When you receive the Kindle you set-up and register an account on Amazon Kindle. I have my credit card stored in my Amazon account. When I make a purchase the book automatically downloads to the Kindle. It takes a minute or less - amazing. I have never ordered a book "on" the Kindle with the keyboard. I always order on my computer. When you make a purchase, it asks which Kindle to download to. My Kindle says one, two, three, four - it still shows the other 3 kindles that I had returned. I click Kindle four. If a family member also has a Kindle, instead of setting up a separate account on Amazon, register the other Kindles under the main account. This way you only pay for only one book, newspaper, etc. and each person can read it on their own Kindle.

I know on mine I can download audio books (but never have).
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5740578_down...ks-kindle.html

With the Sony e-reader (not Kindle) you can borrow books from your local pubic library. Check with your libary to see if they have this service. From what I have read, that libaries with the service have only 1 copy of a book and takes a long time before you can get a copy.

What I don't like about e-readers is that the screen is small (6 inch display). I have my font set larger even though I use reading glasses. So there is not alot of text on the page. I'm a fast reader and I'm always clicking "next page".

If money was no object, the Kindle DX with 9.7 inch display is the one to have. It's $379. If you need to read PDF's you need the DX. I would love to have this one. See the video at the end of the page. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYWHSQ

CNET review's http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade....html?tag=also
    Last edited by Liz - Aruba Lover; 12-08-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    we made our decision.

the ipad will be bought if we get a tax refund in the spring.

Dh loved his Kindle so much we have purchased one for our 14 yo dd. She actually put half of her Christmas "cash" towards. We figured if she had a vested interest in it, she would be that much more likely to use it. Overall if it does get her to read more even better.

An extra bonus? She is reading above her grade level but could test better in comprehension. Kindle has a built in dictionary! All she has to do is highlight the word she does not know and voila! She knows if she asks Mom the answer is to look it up in the "book" (dictionary) and of course that is "work"

She started her first book yesterday mid day and is 25% of the way through.

We are NOT going to tell her about the audio book feature!

Aruba since 1979
    re: the audiobook feature
    is it an "audiobook?" or is it a computer generated monotone voice?

IF we did our research correctly. Books are converted to a fairly gentle computer generated voice which keeps the cost of the book down or you can purchase, where available books which are available in Audible Audio Edition, imo, very expensive.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast