Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Amazon Kindle

Aruba since 1979
    paul loves the NOOK and reads the boston globe and ny times every day on it.

i am still sticking to my ipod audiobooks got a ton to listen too......maybe 30.

i have a great library for short $.

all of the PLUM series by janet evanovich and am just finished 3 and began 4 today.

also on my itunes from my great library provider i have ALL nora Roberts books.

maybe next week will buy some barbara delinsky and stuart woods.

paul lovs his e reader and i love my ipod.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    He has already had two requests for books in a couple of hours. The more books you lend, the more credit you earn. I wish I read as much as dh. I am only about 20% through my book I've been reading a month.

I'm thinking of asking my family for an i-pad for my birthday coming up and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on their experience reading outside in the sun. It would be upsetting to have all of my reading downloaded for Aruba and be unable to see thew screen on the beach.

Any thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnev View Post
    I'm thinking of asking my family for an i-pad for my birthday coming up and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on their experience reading outside in the sun. It would be upsetting to have all of my reading downloaded for Aruba and be unable to see thew screen on the beach.

Any thoughts??
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgroi135 View Post
    I brought our Ipad and Kindle last trip. Since you can use the Kindle App on the Ipad also (yes at the same time as using the kindle). The iPad is not easy to read in the sun, the screen puts off a harsh glare, unlike the kindle with the e-ink technology. But I did see a man reading at the pool every morning on his iPad. But he was always in the shade.
    Sgroi135 and his dw are both VERY technically savvy. This was the basis for our decision to go with the kindle vs iPad.

Having poor eyesight, I was very skeptical about being able to read the kindle in the sun and did not order it until I had tried it myself. It is terrific. My dh, dd and I all have Kindle 3's now.

We can buy a book and share it among the three of us. If you are not too picky about your books, there are tons of free books available for Kindle.

In lieu of the iPad, we will also purchase a netbook in the future. It will be a bit of extra weigh traveling, but we will be able to do more with the netbook than the iPad.

There is a decent comparison at
    http://ipod.about.com/od/ipadcompari...indle-nook.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnev View Post

Any thoughts??
    My husband has an iPad, and LOVES it, but he could never read it in the sun or even under the shade of a palapa. I have a Kindle, and even in the direct Aruba sunshine, I had no trouble reading it.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Lisa you beat me to it..

Thank for giving me a plug for my tech savy-ness. I was going to reply earlier but my blackberry was not working very well.

But Lisa took the words from my fingers.

iPad is great for indoors or Heavily Shaded, even outside in the shade you tend to see your reflection.

If you plan on reading alot, I would stick to the e-reader. My wife's has the international package. I know that people have mentioned that there is a fee for international, I read that for standard books there is no charge.

We love our iPad for games and other stuff like Banking, web surfing. But for reading stick with the reader.
    Decided to take down my timer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgroi135 View Post
    Lisa you beat me to it..

Thank for giving me a plug for my tech savy-ness.

I was going to reply earlier but my blackberry was not working very well.
    A man is only as good as his machine? ...or the woman behind him.

Lol Lisa.
    Decided to take down my timer!

I have an ipad, and I can't read it outdoors, anywhere. I'm so addicted to reading books on it, though. The big bonus, is I get all my books for free from our library. It's super easy to download books. I would have never known I could borrow ebooks from my library if I hadn't been told by someone else with an ipad. I've even told my mother about it who has a nook. The only ereader not supported by the library is the Kindle. The only drawback is you can only have 5 books signed out at a time. Check into it, go to your librarys website and look for anything that says "ebooks"

Thanks so much for all of your input. I wish the Kindle had a color version and I heard that the Ipad has a new version coming out in the spring-maybe they solved the sun problem. I definitely want to get something before beach season here in NJ and our July trip to Aruba.

Great info from all and definitely more helpful that going to a website a reading reviews from those mysterious people

Mrs. 44 has appropriated my Kindle. I think I'm going to have to purchase my own. It is a great device for reading.

Bon dia,

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast