Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Economy

Aruba since 1979
    we use our credit card (AA airmiles master card) for everything except federal and state taxes)
    we even pay son's college bills on the credit card

we pay the credit card bill in full every time

when my mom was alive (she had severe dementia) she was in a nursing home from 1999- 2004. 5 years, ranging from $7000 monthly early on to $10,000 a month prior to her passing.

the nursing home accepted the aa miles master card and then i paid her portion of the bill with her money.

she died with less than $4000 to her name. the disease was sad, her demise was sadder and the bills were obscene.

my son, since he was 16 has been receiving credit card solicitations from all of the cc companies. it is unbelievable!
    thank goodesss that he has the brains to know his limits (he has no real income yet)

he earns $90 a week tutoring at college. that $90 barely pays his gas and his dry cleaning. (yes dry cleaning........he is at the maritime academy and his weekly cleaning bill is $12)

getting back to the economy. and trying to make this so that it is "still aruba related" and i do not get reported...................... we are all affected by this recession or economic slowdown one way or another. those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to go anywhere near or far, are blessed.

i would like to know how the aruba citizens are coping with the drop of the dollar, the expensive airfares and if their # 1 business, "tourism" has been affected yet and if it is noticeable?

and tonight paul and i sit figuring out spending $ for our trip on the 23rd to aruba. it will be a frugal vacation, and i won't complain 1 bit!

andrea

ps . ok, yes i will complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Beach Boy View Post
    Too many people are blaming the mortgage lenders and the credit card companies for their problems. They wanted what their parents took a lifetime to achieve, NOW. It didn't help when the credit card companies go after the university students,

I too picked to travel West rather than East for my main summer 08 holiday because of the £vs$ situation.
    I exchanged £500 last week and had $997 in return. Generally speaking, groceries in the US side of the Atlantic are about the same as in Europe so with us staying all inclusive that was not really an issue.
    The deciding factor is the weather, the diving, the hospitality of the Caribean people vs Greeks/Spaniards/Italians or even going further East like Goa,India or The Seychelles....

So, having travelled around the US and Caribean a lot as a teenager I persuaded my other half that it would be great value for money coupled with excellent service and facilities.

The UK economy is starting to slow down too but the biggest difference is that we are tied to the European Exchange Rate Mechanism which keeps our interest rates low vs the Euro states...it all helps.

We are flying with First Choice for two weeks, upgraded flight tix, parking at the airport, a wedding,and all inclusive 3/4* hotel for £3600 ($7200).
    That is £128 per day per person....
    It costs more than that with just a greasy breakfast in central London...I know where I'd rather be....

Arooooooooooooooooooobaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Smile Europe or Caribean...I know which I prefer!

I too picked to travel West rather than East for my main summer 08 holiday because of the £vs$ situation.
    I exchanged £500 last week and had $997 in return. Generally speaking, groceries in the US side of the Atlantic are about the same as in Europe so with us staying all inclusive that was not really an issue.
    The deciding factor is the weather, the diving, the hospitality of the Caribean people vs Greeks/Spaniards/Italians or even going further East like Goa,India or The Seychelles....

So, having travelled around the US and Caribean a lot as a teenager I persuaded my other half that it would be great value for money coupled with excellent service and facilities.

The UK economy is starting to slow down too but the biggest difference is that we are tied to the European Exchange Rate Mechanism which keeps our interest rates low vs the Euro states...it all helps.

We are flying with First Choice for two weeks, upgraded flight tix, parking at the airport, a wedding,and all inclusive 3/4* hotel for £3600 ($7200).
    That is £128 per day per person....
    It costs more than that with just a greasy breakfast in central London...I know where I'd rather be....

Arooooooooooooooooooobaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Having said that...don't let me put you guys off Europe...it's stunning!!! You just have to get here between May and Sep if you don't like the cold....

I would say the economy has affected us minimally, we took some measures this winter to help with our utilities. I really feel for those that have oil heat, so many tell me they are spending $500 a month for heat

We are not extravagant spenders, though this year I have spent more on luxury items that could have waited. We use cash on the island, the cc companies like USair and Cap One have been a joke as far as mileage goes. I have 2 trips planned this year, far in advance and no tickets were available for mileage. The rates on these cards is astronomical, the fee each year is $$, No more for me
    I save and save all year round for my trips, there are many things I would like to do like concerts, weekends out of state, a weekly massage, but something has to be sacrificed, Aruba calls

Quote Originally Posted by Curlupndye View Post
    The rates on these cards is astronomical, the fee each year is $$, No more for me
    Good point, but our AMEX platinum card (with it's $300+ a year fee ) just gave us a full refund on a coffee roaster I had bought for dh last year for Christmas.

With their doubling manufacturer's warranty's, we just shipped them the item for them to check over and they refunded our full purchase price from 13 months ago. MORE than paid for the cost of the card, nevermind all the other perks from the card which we do use.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123