Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else have issues?

haven't been anywhere but Palm Beach - looking forward to exploring.
    No problem on Long Island $3.83 this morning for regular. My family owned a gas station back in the 70's & 80's - those were the days..

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    I made a typo Michele, its 3.59, not 4.59...
    CindyO, Guess I should have figured that out....but, with the crash, I must have sustained some brain injury...(just kidding) !!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    wow cindy, shameful that the pellet place did not follow thru.

we ordered our pellet stove in may and took delivery in mid august.

we alos at that time ordered 5 tons of pellets and have taken delivery of only 1 ton. they tell us the rest will be delivered on wednesday

for those of you that are considering changing to wood pellet, we have been heating with it for 10 yrs. (the waltham house and now this house)

lock in your oil.

we locked in at $3.69
    but then again we project that we'll only be using about 300 gallons.
    Andrea, we have an oil furnace and it costs so much to heat the house....first it is an old farmhouse and we could not find all the cracks and crevices that allow some heat to escape if we looked everyday for a month. We use at least 3-4 tanks throughout the winter season and it is just scary how much it would cost this year....
    Fortunately, (he must have had an omen) last year my husband added a wood burning stove to the basement and we use it for 90% of our heating needs. I was amazed at how much money we saved....we have tons of wood on our property and a lot of trees that have been blown over in the past several years so we just have to cut them. The down side is that every 4-5 hours (around the clock )the wood must be replentished, but I fugure that is the price we pay for not freezing our arses off......
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Dh just emailed me, I have to share...

"a teacher was walking down the hall... all excited telling everyone her husband got gas... could not resist and asked if that was because she fed him beans last night... it took a minute for it to sink in, and she started to laugh."

Desperation is ugly and there are things besides the pace which are slow here in the south.

Today's saga...
    12 gas stations.
    No gasoline.
    13th gas station, very long line, but yes gasoline.
    Wait on line 30 minutes.
    Get to the pump and it is out.

One car down to a quarter tank and the other just shy of full...can survive only one more week of dh driving to work, not including much in the way of extra trips.

Aruba since 1979
    heating with wood is such a good thing!
    a nice warm feeling and you are thumbing your nose at the dependance of mideast oil. if each of us did a little more wood or another alternative we can all become less dependant on those countries that hate us.

we also got a rinnai on demand water heater........by propane.

and we'll have an oil fill up probably in early december (275 gallons ARGH!)

you are so lucky that you have your own burnable wood on property.
    if you lower the flame/auger in your wood stove can you get a full night of heat without having to get up from a sound sleep to restoke?

folks here in maine, that do not have their own wood are paying $300 a cord. very pricey indeed.

love the smell of a good wood fire

in my first life i was laura ingalls wilder

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Andrea, we have an oil furnace and it costs so much to heat the house....first it is an old farmhouse and we could not find all the cracks and crevices that allow some heat to escape if we looked everyday for a month. We use at least 3-4 tanks throughout the winter season and it is just scary how much it would cost this year....
    Fortunately, (he must have had an omen) last year my husband added a wood burning stove to the basement and we use it for 90% of our heating needs. I was amazed at how much money we saved....we have tons of wood on our property and a lot of trees that have been blown over in the past several years so we just have to cut them. The down side is that every 4-5 hours (around the clock )the wood must be replentished, but I fugure that is the price we pay for not freezing our arses off......

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Andrea, let us know how you make out with your hurricane KYLE...hope all the trees, houses etc make it thru..cindy take care....

Aruba since 1979
    deluges of rain
    and the most annoying thing..............get this.........
    the freaking acorns bouncing off the metal roof

it sounds at times like a jackhammer

we need to import some squirrels to gather the acorns off the trees before they fall and hit the roof.

so other than deluges of rain.............5" in the last 48 hrs and still pouring...............no wind to speak of. in the downeast section of maine.............about 80 miles northeast of here, they are expecting heavier rain, crashing waves but not hurricane force winds. nova scotia will get the winds.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Andrea, let us know how you make out with your hurricane KYLE...hope all the trees, houses etc make it thru..cindy take care....

Arrow Let's make a deal

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    deluges of rain
    and the most annoying thing..............get this.........
    the freaking acorns bouncing off the metal roof

it sounds at times like a jackhammer.
    Okay, let's make a deal. We will trade you rain for acorns.

We feed our 8 or so squirrels and 4 chipmunks for entertainment for the cats (well I guess us humans enjoy as well ). Think of all the money we would save...free acorns....

.23 in. of rain this month just don't cut it. Even last year the month of September we had .39 inches. Don't know which is worse, the drought or gas situation?

Dh went out at 7:30 a.m. once again in search of gas. 20 stations, 1 hr. 15 minutes of driving and came up dry. One station has a line. Lines now though do not mean gas, means people may just be waiting for a delivery.

Andrea, may you stay dry, may we receive rain. We have a 20% chance on Tuesday and that is about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12