Aruba Beach

Thread: Anyone have kids in the military?

Anyone have kids in the military?

My son Joey is off to Iraq tomorrow, and I'm pretty sick about it. Have any of you been through this? And if so, how did you get through it? I don't care how anyone feels about this war, I'm just looking for some practical day-to-day advice from people who have been in this situation. Thanks guys... Jean
    Bill and Jean

First, thank Joey for his service to our country.

I was very surprised when I went to Google, that there were not more groups for parents of children in the military. Most of the focus seems to be on military families themselves and children of those in the military.

I did find http://www.4militaryfamilies.com/parentsgroups.htm Hopefully this will help a little bit. It is difficult to imagine the range of emotions you are presently feeling.

God bless. <<hugs>>

Just found http://www.mothersofmilitarysupport.momsservices.org/
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-04-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Please thank him for going. Don't have family there, but a friend who is a colonel . She has a family of 3 kids at home with a captain as a husband. He could get called any day also. We pray for their safe return.
    God be with him.

No Jean, I don't either, but I'm so grateful for the service your son, Joey, and others are giving to our country.

On our way home from Aruba last week, our flight very late leaving the Atlanta airport. There was a storm, and many flights were delayed. One of the last passengers to board the jet was a young man in military uniform and he quickly made his way past us to his seat. We were sitting in the middle of the plane, and I'm not sure how far back his was seated. After we landed (close to two hours late), the flight attendant announced that the young soldier was just returning from Iraq, and that his wife had just had a baby as we were waiting in Atlanta. She requested that we wait in our seats so that he could make his way off the plane quickly to get to his wife and new baby. It was such an emotional event, as he briskly walked up the isle and the passengers cheered him, clapped, and wished him well. I know I wasn't the only one on the plane who shed tears as he passed.

God bless you and your family.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Gosh Corona, I tear up just reading that. These are very very special people. Atlanta's Hartsfield does a great job through the USO of caring for traveling soldiers. Evidently because of it being a hub for Delta there is an enormous number of soldiers passing through. Living here, I can say we have never gone to airport, even to pick someone up, that we did not see at least a dozen members of the military.

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/ ...if you are not sure how to "say" thanks this video shows you how. "It's not about politics. It's about service, and sacrifice, and it's about gratitude."

http://www.letssaythanks.com/

Thank you for your kind words. When I flew home with him after basic training eighteen months ago so many people stopped to thank him and shake his hand. The stewerdess also made an announcement and everyone cheered. I was (am!) so very proud of him.
    Bill and Jean

Aruba since 1979
    thank him from all of us in this community for doing such a noble deed

my son will be graduating MASS MARITIME ACADEMY in June and will be commissioned ensign in the us navy reserve (merchant marine division) .
    i pray that he is never called to active duty and if he is, i hope that paul and i are as brave as you 2.

my son's music teacher in high school, has a son that was in the coast guard as a lieutenant and stationed near NYC at the time of the attack on the wtc and pentagon and shanksville. his tour was up with the coastguard and when he was done, he walked into an army recruiting station and signed up!

since then he has done at least 3 tours in iraq and is now in occupational therapy school and hopes to work for the VA.

if you want the mom's email of how she and her husband coped, please PM me and i can put you in touch with her.

she was not a rock throughout her son's deployment/service in iraq, but she coped and was a comfort to many.

your son's safety is in our prayers.
    will pray for your peace of mind too

godspeed joey
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by BillandJean View Post
    Thank you for your kind words. When I flew home with him after basic training eighteen months ago so many people stopped to thank him and shake his hand. The stewerdess also made an announcement and everyone cheered. I was (am!) so very proud of him.

I boohooed my way through all the links that you guys sent.
    Andrea, I may take you up on your offer....will let you know. Thanks.
    Bill and Jean

Aruba since 1979
    Bill and Jean

How are you doing?
    How is Joey? has he called?

andrea

I received a text message on my cell phone from him yesterday that said simply: on way to airport. So, he must be in Baghdad by now. He told me that they would have alot of phone time when they first got there, so I hope to get a call soon...
    Bill and Jean