Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbados.....

Barbados.....

Well.....just spent 4 days in Barbados....my step son works for a gentleman that owns and races thoroughbred race horses and on Saturday they had the Caribbean version of the Kentucky Derby...so my 2 nieces, sis-in-law and cousin went to watch the race and enjoy some sun and fun,,,,

Not Aruba !!!! Although the Bajan's are nice people, they are not Aruban and so there lies the problem.....could not seem to get comfortable, I am so spoiled by being able to come and go as I please, and drive anywhere I choose that going someplace that does not afford me the same luxury is very hard to deal with.
    Our hotel was ok, clean but small...twin beds, holy moly batman....very old, but quaint...food was just okay...even the 2 expensive restaurants we went to did not compare to any I've been to in Aruba...

Did get to snorkel with the turtles and that was sooooooo cool...
    Went out on jet skis...NO, I did not drive one myself...went with surf shop guy, although my one niece did take one herself....and that was fun, the water there is really choppy and not like we are used to, so I do not think I would have had the courage to ride alone if I wanted to....
    Saw Simon Cowell's house...beautiful....now I know why he's quitting AI...to enjoy that house, or at least I would be if I were in his shoes....

Went to the race and doubled my money, the horse did win !!!!!
    Went to a bar owned by the man that my stepson works for and did enjoy the food and drinks there, although it still was not anything special...

So not to say the island was bad, because it was very lush and beautiful, just not my island.......can not wait to get back to the island I call home,,,!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Man, oh man, do I have a story to tell about Barbados! I spend 5 days in Barbados and it was the worst vacation of my life! I traveled alone, and did not feel comfortable at all leaving the "resort." Ha! The "resort" was not a resort at all - very noisy, pool was so small (I'm not a pool person, thank goodnes) that it was monopolized by the kids. It was a glorified motel. My room was at the top of the stairs above the kitchen with no ocean view. Oh! This is the best part. The bellhop helped me with my bag. There's no elevator (my room was on the fourth floor). He stopped at the bottom of the stairs and asked me if I wanted him to bring my bag up.

The room was an adjoining room, and it was a single door between my room and the room in front (which faced the ocean). There was a good 2" gap at the bottom of the door. Not very private. In fact, I heard the couple in that room every morning at 6 being, ahem, romantic.

I took a tour of the island which included a trip to the Mount Gay Rum factory. The tour guide had the personality of a bump on a pickle.

I really did not like it - it was not quaint and quiet like Aruba. I did not feel safe at all.
    Last edited by purpleangel; 03-12-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    Darlene

You are right. Barbados is not my favorite either , but probably my top 3. Would never stay on the East coast.

LOVED swimming with the turtles! By far one of the coolest things!

Darlene,
    Funny, our room was on 3rd floor and we had to lug them up ourselves, well the bellman took my niece's smaller bag and then 1/2 way up he asked he asked me if I needed help...duh !!!!!
    We were told not to rent a car because they drive on the opposite side of the road...we didn't because we weren't sure if it would be too hard to figure out....but if I ever go back, NOT, we will rent because I hated feeling trapped at the hotel and hated shelling out money for cab drivers....
    When we went out to swim with the turtles, my niece made arrangements with the concierge at their hotel (Hilton), the pamphlet showed a pretty cool looking speed boat...well, it was a boat with 2 engines that I could probably swim faster than it went,,,we got to the pickup site and there was no dock....the guy driving the boat brought it in as close as he could and we had to wade out into the water...shoes, shorts, money...etc....and climb up the ladder.....I was like...what?????
    then he talked to us very briskly and was very impatient and pushy.....oh well, live and learn....
    Aruba in November.....yippee !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    You are right. Barbados is not my favorite either , but probably my top 3. Would never stay on the East coast.

LOVED swimming with the turtles! By far one of the coolest things!

Yeah, the turtles were the coolest....when we get pix loaded I will have to post some...

We are all so spoiledWe all know there is nothing like Aruba,and you have to go to another island to prove it.Our home away from home.

Aruba since 1979
    we stopped in barbados for 12 hrs during a cruise.
    we were unimpressed and felt unsafe in the downtown
    we did a snorkeling excursion and it was good, not great.

Senior Member aruba here I come's Avatar
    I also have been on a stop off on a cruise....... Just ok.... We couldn't do the run tour, because we were there on a sunday
    I have been to alot of islands via a cruise.... and the only one I long to return to is ARuba....

I really wanted to go snorkeling when in Barbados, but after talking to the guy who ran the trip, I got skeeved out.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    I really wanted to go snorkeling when in Barbados, but after talking to the guy who ran the trip, I got skeeved out.
    For anyone going to Barbados in the future I can highly recommend the Silver Moon http://silvermoonbarbados.com/ for a sailing/snorkel excursions.
    We have sailed with Captain Nick twice and well worth every $$$.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast