Aruba Beach

Thread: being single, brave & adventurous

Aruba since 1979

being single, brave & adventurous

thought i would relay this email from a dear friend.
    she is early 40's, single, brave and does not have a nickel in savings BUT has a full time job teaching drama at a college in boston.
    she goes on amazing road trips 2x a year for a month at a time.

she has been to all of the olympics over the last 20 yrs, with her sleeping bag, and a backpack and her camera.

am i jealous? i dunno
    i would love to be as brave as she.

we took her to disney when she was in high school and she was bored to tears (that is to give you an idea of her spirit)

we have offered to have her come to aruba with us and she says "why?"

so here is the the tale of her next adventure.

i do wish i was brave, and wish i had a little of her bravery in me

Hey lady...

I head out for my big trip on Saturday, ...

I fly to London on Saurday and arrive there on Sunday morning. Hang out in london for two days and then hop on another plane and head to Beijing on Tuesday the 15th of July. I'll hang out in Beijing for a few nights, then do a two day hike along the great wall and when I finish I will begin exploring china for the next 4 weeks. I dont know where I am going or what I will see... but I have opted to try and avoid all the earthquake regions, Tibet/political events and regions and the southeast typhoon season region (kinda the western and south eastern regions of the country.

I will be back in Beijing for the las 5 days to catch some of the Olympics before heading back to London on the 18th of August and then home again on the 23rd.

If I get access tot he internet I should be sending email updates with some pictures and stuff... but the frequency and quality of those updates can not be ensured.

Mainly I want to let you know that I love your guts and i hope to come visit you in the great white north after I get back this fall so I can see the new digs and catch up.

Toodles for now

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    WOW...what an adventure...Me, chicken, never was adventureous, don't that spirit within me. I have to be safe, feel safe, and could never do what your friend is doing. When I am in my 80's I will wish I had done those things....I live vicariously thru others.....Keep us posted on her emails....cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    WOW...what an adventure...Me, chicken, never was adventureous, don't that spirit within me. I have to be safe, feel safe, and could never do what your friend is doing. When I am in my 80's I will wish I had done those things....I live vicariously thru others.....Keep us posted on her emails....cindy
    Ahhhh Cindy.....you were traveling everywhere until you met me (and I was traveling too). Then the traveling became less important as buying a home, raising a family and paying tuitions took priority. No regrets here ! Fortunately....Aruba became part of our lives! We travel once again and have no need to go anywhere else since we've found perfection! No more rain on our vacations!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

That's an adventure, especially if you're language skills are limited. But the journey is the fun, so, travel on!

Why come to Aruba? There is adventure to be had in Aruba as well. It may not have the Great Wall of China or the Olympics but may I humbly suggest an alternative: Go for the in-close experience. Go to the Colombian restaurants, talk to the people there. Meet some old-timers who worked at the refinery. Meet some American expats who made the place home and listen to the reasons why. Meet a group of people from Holland who relate the differences between their country and the island. Talk to the waiters who remember a time before the big hotels. Go scuba diving, go snorkeling, sit at Zee Rovers and cook your own fish. Walk the reef in Savaneta with a fisherman who uses a hand net. Go sailing in a place where the wind will make you fly. Learn some Papiamento. Check out the cemeteries and the momentos left behind. Watch the sunset knowing there's no reason to hurry.

Sure, I appreciate the great cathedrals of Europe, the skyscrapers of New York City, the Swiss Alps, and the history around the Mediterranean. And I also enjoy the tranquility of simple things: No shirt, no shoes, no problems. As Charlie once told me, "Viva la diferencia!" (He also said, "Viva la revolution!")

Just a suggestion.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/