Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bonjour from Paris

Day trip to Versailles:

~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Lazy morning in Paris....photos taken as we walked down on our street to the park by the Eiffel Tower just a couple of blocks away....morning walk with the locals who were jogging, walking their dogs, etc.....so peaceful in the morning.

~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --

Thank you for your trip report and especially your photos of the palace at Versailles. It really is gold! I read about so many of the places you are going and it's neat to see someone "real" there and imagine myself going one day.
    By the way Amy, how is your French? How would someone who's French isn't very good get by?
    My French is poor but I get by when I visit Quebec, however, I find that it's difficult for those that don't speak any French at all. Even though most people in Quebec can speak English, they canbe somewhat intolerant and yes, rude, if you only speak English.
    How is it in France for a foreigner who speaks only english?
    Ironically, in school in Canada, we are taught French from a young age but it's Parisian not québécois. There's quite a difference!

My French is very, very poor. LOL!! But I can get by with a few main phrases and that's it. As long as you know your ettiquette in Paris as far as saying "Bonjour" when you walk into shops, etc., the locals will give you "a pass" because you are at least saying good morning/good night/goodbye, etc. in French and doing the best you can. I usually follow with "do you speak English?" and when they say yes I thank them with a big "merci!!".

If you are gracious and kind to them, they will be the same to you. We've even had an owner of a local wine shop around the corner help us purchase wine that we like and in our price range - when he tells me his English is no good, I remind him that it is much better than my French. LOL! My theory....be nice, relaxed, smile alot, and just go with the flow and all is good.

We were buying tickets at the RER train for Versailles a couple of days ago....the lady selling us the tickets saw Mike pull out his wad of cash from his pocket and told us to be careful of pickpockets in the train and Metro stations. She spoke to us in English and was very friendly and we thanked her (merci!) for her advice. Everyone here has been great like that!

Early morning today (yawn!) Taking the metro to the train station and then the train to Epernay (home of Dom Perignon) for some champagne tastings.

Bringing some home too I bet!

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Bringing some home too I bet!
    You know me too well!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    You know me too well!
    Oh don't you know it!!!!! Ten years is a long long time.
    Come on, you don't have to tell dh, but fess up, was this tasting and "shopping" afterward, the "real" purpose of this little getaway to France?

Just don't bring home that chicken from the market!

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Oh don't you know it!!!!! Ten years is a long long time.
    Come on, you don't have to tell dh, but fess up, was this tasting and "shopping" afterward, the "real" purpose of this little getaway to France?
    Just don't bring home that chicken from the market!
    Shopping for champagne is my favorite pasttime!

Just arrived home yesterday around 1pm. More photos on my Facebook photos page if anyone is interested - photos from the champagne houses, etc. Just search "ArubaAmy" on Facebook and you should find me.

It stinks to be back but....gotta work so I can travel.

Welcome home! Speaking of work, how many days until Aruba

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast