Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Boterkoek recipe

Boterkoek recipe

After reading Steve&Mo's post about having Boterkoek for breakfast, I was curious to try it. Then Andrea posted a link to a recipe and, well, today was the day. The recipe makes two 8 inch cakes so I decided to cut the recipe in half since it's just the two of us. It's such a simple recipe. The instructions say 20 minute prep, I say it was more like 5 minutes. I used a 9 inch ceramic pie plate, baking in a convection oven and it was done in 25 minutes. The result was a moist, rich somewhat heavy cake which I would describe to be more like a bar type cookie. It was absolutely delicious!!

Aruba since 1979
    Was it dense like a pound cake?

Not as dense as a pound cake but I wouldn't be surprised if this recipe was originally based on a pound cake. It's a very shallow cake as it only rises about a half inch. The texture is somewhere between a bar type cookie and a cake. I would definitely make it again. I researched Boterkoek on line and found a number of recipes that described it as a cookie, others referred to it as a Dutch delicacy.

The cake I bought there was in a round aluminum pan. It was about an inch thick, very dense, yes almost cookie or brownie like. I brought 3 home and have one left. I have to try to make it. (Not that I need to be eating it so often!)

When we're there in November I'll definitely have to look for one so I can see how mine compared. I found that it was delicious warm but even better once it was room temperature.

https://www.koopmans.com/recept/boterkoek/

I think these usually work well... only 1 egg and 200grams of butter (full-cream) needed. I assume Superfoods sells them...

Smile

This is a picture of the one I bought. Extra butter is on my shopping list!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boterkoek recipe-image.jpg  

I printed the recipe here for All recipes is that the one you used? I am going to give it a try. I would like to cut the recipe in half as well because there are only two of us. Thanks for sharing.

I did use the recipe from All recipes. It's the one Andrea posted. I cut the recipe in half and it worked out fine. I have to say though, I made it in the evening and it was gone the next morning. My husband Tom has been asking me when I'm going to make it again!

Will have to try it.
    Just made a 5 flavor pound cake from scratch..
    Kids like it better than a cake with frosting..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast